Flames Top Prospects

I have to agree with the TSN ranking on their first pick (and I don't do that much). Leland Irving looks like a world-beating goaltender. Miles ahead of anyone else his age. I can understand why so many disagree, though.

Of the rest, I have one nagging question: Where the heck was Brad Cole on the list???

http://www.qcflames.com/team/stats.php

It amazes me how we can forget an entire player just because they weren't ever drafted.

Sutter signed this guy as an UFA.

He's big, he's physical, he's 22, he can score (a bit), and most importantly, he's a Defenceman that plays Defence.

The guy has the highest plus-minus on the team (at +9). Anders Erikson came second (at +8), and we already know him to be an excellent NHL defenceman who happens to be in the twilight of his career. How was their most consistent player, the player who helped the team the most, not on the list at 22 years of age?

You keep talking about this guy, and I still have no idea who he is. You've got me interested haha.

He's a 22 year old defenceman that sutter signed as an undrafted FA after his last yearof junior. Hopefully he can develop along the lines of sutters other undrafted FAs like montador and Gio. Playfair coaching in abbotsford should really help him along and i wouldnt be surprised if he develops into a decent NHLer, he has the size and he showed some real ability after he went to saskatoon and actually got to play, he even ended up captaining the blades in his last year.

I think calgary's best prospect is irving, he is the future goaltender of this team and the only reason CMac got the call up this year was because they didnt want their best prospects wasting away on the bench playing 8 games a year. hopefully they do resign CMac, send him to actually play a little in abbotsford and call up Irving so he can give kipper some rest in 20-25 games.

I have to agree with the TSN ranking on their first pick (and I don't do that much). Leland Irving looks like a world-beating goaltender. Miles ahead of anyone else his age. I can understand why so many disagree, though.

Of the rest, I have one nagging question: Where the heck was Brad Cole on the list???

http://www.qcflames.com/team/stats.php''>http://www.qcflames.com/team/stats.php' target="_blank">http://www.qcflames.com/team/stats.php[/post]

It amazes me how we can forget an entire player just because they weren't ever drafted.

Sutter signed this guy as an UFA.

He's big, he's physical, he's 22, he can score (a bit), and most importantly, he's a Defenceman that plays Defence.

The guy has the highest plus-minus on the team (at +9). Anders Erikson came second (at +8), and we already know him to be an excellent NHL defenceman who happens to be in the twilight of his career. How was their most consistent player, the player who helped the team the most, not on the list at 22 years of age?

Upside.

Brad Cole's upside is not what the players on those list is. Cole's a solid player, but thats it. One of those do a bunhc of these good, but nothing great style players. I like Brad Cole, but think that at best, he is going to be a up and down NHL and not a full time one. He is quite smart in terms of defensive instincts, but unfortunately I think his skating is even a small step down from Pardy and will hold him back.

I believe he went to play in russia and did not resign with the flames.

Yes. Signed a 3 year deal with UFA of the Russian Super League. This season will be his last, but since he left he hasn't displayed a desire to come back over. I don't even think they hold his rights anymore even if they wanted him back. He's done though.

Upside.

Brad Cole's upside is not what the players on those list is. Cole's a solid player, but thats it. One of those do a bunhc of these good, but nothing great style players. I like Brad Cole, but think that at best, he is going to be a up and down NHL and not a full time one. He is quite smart in terms of defensive instincts, but unfortunately I think his skating is even a small step down from Pardy and will hold him back.

Sweet Mary, I hope it's not. Are you sure? I was under the impression that his skating was quite good. Even on these boards, posters seem to think he may have been the better skater out of the prospects in training camp. "Terrific skater" was the advertisement...I take it you feel this was a tad optimistic.

http://forum.calgaryflames.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=10346&view=findpost&p=288883' target="_blank">http://forum.calgaryflames.com/index.php?s...st&p=288883[/post]

I don't really see any strong defensive prospects (top line prospects), so I won't argue with you on the journeyman prediction, but I'm not sure I see anything better in Negrin or Pelech other than slightly better offensive prowess (but not enough to make a big difference at the NHL level). I don't see any of the Flame's defensive prospects matching his defensive skills, and I doubt Sutter will overlook this.

Sweet Mary, I hope it's not. Are you sure? I was under the impression that his skating was quite good. Even on these boards, posters seem to think he may have been the better skater out of the prospects in training camp. "Terrific skater" was the advertisement...I take it you feel this was a tad optimistic.

http://forum.calgaryflames.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=10346&view=findpost&p=288883' target="_blank">http://forum.calgaryflames.com/index.php?s...st&p=288883[/post]

I don't really see any strong defensive prospects (top line prospects), so I won't argue with you on the journeyman prediction, but I'm not sure I see anything better in Negrin or Pelech other than slightly better offensive prowess (but not enough to make a big difference at the NHL level). I don't see any of the Flame's defensive prospects matching his defensive skills, and I doubt Sutter will overlook this.

Yes, I do feel thats a tad optimistic. His front line speed is adequate, but thats not all that important for a defencemen. I feel his mobility is not what it needs to be to be anything more than a Pardy, Richie Regehr type dman. He would have to improve greatly IMO for him to be more than a depth dman. Not saying it isn't possible, nor am I saying that I don't like him, just that i would not put him in the cateogry of a Pelech, Negrin, Brodie, or Aulie. All those four have more upside than Cole I feel.

He is smarter in reading the play, I will give you that. Cole has the best stick, in terms of defence, of all the Flames prospects, which allows him to cover alot of area and at that level it allows him to make up for the mobility. Negrin, Pelech and Brodie don't have that same issue becaue their mobility is better.

But don't count Cole out. I would not be shocked for him to pull an Adam pardy and start in the E and work his way up to the NHL. I just wouldn't put him above the other dman. They all carry better games for the NHL and will have more impact, and for longer.

Yes, I do feel thats a tad optimistic. His front line speed is adequate, but thats not all that important for a defencemen. I feel his mobility is not what it needs to be to be anything more than a Pardy, Richie Regehr type dman. ....

Well shoot...I won't get my hopes too high then. I know the odds are low even for the good skaters.

Well from what i remember he did suck it up for a season here, but his family (wife, kids??) were in Russia and he said if he didnt make the NHL in his 2nd pro year he was gone cause his goal was NHL..

Story was something like that...

But i did aswell have great hopes for the kid, he would have made a great 2nd line center in the NHL.

From Taratukhin on why he left

" This had to do with a number of factors. I wanted to remain there, but I did not have a 100% guaranty that I would be able to make it to the main team. I have a wife and two kids. It’s difficult for them to constantly keep shuttling around. Last season was very difficult for me. We had a problem with visas, which is why I only saw my kids one at a time and not together. My daughter was only able to come and visit me after six months. Right now Calgary has five centers with one way contracts, and I have a two way deal. It’s understandable that the decision would not likely be in my favor. Of course it was explained to me that these forwards could play on the wing, but I got a respectable offer from Ufa. Additionally, the local management put a strong team together, aiming for the gold with a good selection of players. I also have a number of friends here in Salavat Yulayev, plus here is the coach who raised me since childhood. Also, there needs to be some sort of stability. I conferred with my family, wife, and then said: “Let’s stay here”. "

I still have some memories of that interview... he basically said "eff this, i'm outta here" to the Flames but in a professional manner. He was right and wrong at the same time though. The Flames did committed either 4 or 5 Centers to one way contracts and the math was simple, Taratukhin had to start the season in the minors. However, i think he made a grave mis-judgement because he was basically the No.1 Flames prospect on the depth chart going into that season which saw Boyd, Prust, Nystrom, Moss, etc all get a chance to play on the Flames. And even Mark Smith played for the Flames... it would've been Taratukhin's turn long before those guys.

It's a shame he left for Russia. He might have been looking at bigger paychecks in the NHL by now.

I still have some memories of that interview... he basically said "eff this, i'm outta here" to the Flames but in a professional manner. He was right and wrong at the same time though. The Flames did committed either 4 or 5 Centers to one way contracts and the math was simple, Taratukhin had to start the season in the minors. However, i think he made a grave mis-judgement because he was basically the No.1 Flames prospect on the depth chart going into that season which saw Boyd, Prust, Nystrom, Moss, etc all get a chance to play on the Flames. And even Mark Smith played for the Flames... it would've been Taratukhin's turn long before those guys.

It's a shame he left for Russia. He might have been looking at bigger paychecks in the NHL by now.

They also made it very clear to him they were willing to explore the trade route if It came to it. So yes, the did give him a very good opportunity but at the same time I dont' disagree with the decision he made. Here he is looking at starting another season in the A, travelling everywhich way without his family, making little money (in the grand scheme of things) hoping for a call up. Or he was starting an offer from a homeland team about 1000% time more money than he would be making. He took the easy road, as opposed to the hard road and thats fine. I don't nkow if he would be looking at better paycheques right now as I only saw his max potential as a pretty good 3rd line center. He eventually may have made more base salary in the NHL, but a small amount though, but consdier the taxes I think he is better off from a financial perspective in Russia.

There was only a few htings that made me upset about the Taratukhin situation. 1. That he basically disappeard without really notifying the team and he always waited until about a day before training camp to do it. 2. Once he left he gave a seperate interveiw where he questioned North American clubs handling of Russian players. Accusing them of being biased towards playing time etc. 3. That people blamed the Flames for it. I remember for the next week everyone wanted to rip into Sutter for somehow "blocking" Taratukhin from playing in the NHL even thought it was completely Taratukhin's decidions to leave. If that Russian team hadn't made the offer, its very likely Taratukhin is a Calgary Flame right now.

I think Taratukhin's decision to leave is still a mismanagement on the Flames organization part as it didn't really seem like they tried to keep him like Puustinen. At the time I was saying that they should have even given him a few games to tryout at least on the big club but he never got the chance which I think is slightly frustrating. To me, he was like a young version of Yelle and that would've been a nice addition.

I think Taratukhin's decision to leave is still a mismanagement on the Flames organization part as it didn't really seem like they tried to keep him like Puustinen. At the time I was saying that they should have even given him a few games to tryout at least on the big club but he never got the chance which I think is slightly frustrating. To me, he was like a young version of Yelle and that would've been a nice addition.

This is exactly the type of thing that frusturates me. He left without even trying his chance. The Flames told him in black and white, if you come and have a good camp you'll be on the team. They told him they would make room for him. He bailed before even trying to go to training camp. He didn't even give them a chance to reason with him. And to add, the Flames did send a representative over to Russia to talk to Taratukhin to see if they could persuade him to return.

The year before, his first year in North American hockey I might add, yes he got no call up. HOwever, if you look back at that year few players got callups. The Flames were deep and stayed relatively healthy the whole season. I totally disagree that the Flames mismanaged the Taratukhin situation. There was little you can do when a player ups and leaves without giving you any warning.

I don't think it was about the NHL to him, it was about his family and making the most possible money (as he said), plus as we're seeing now in the KHL players are making big money and playing in a fairly competitive league where NHL stars are making their way over (most are on their way out anyways) so he could be seen as a trailblazer of sorts haha. So I don't think you can blame anyone. I mean the flames could have immediatley brought him up and guaranteed him a roster spot sort of like what happened with Bruunstrom, but that was never going to happen in that day and age. Even if they did he could have just jumped ship mid-contract like Radulov.

Archived