Confirmed: QC Flames moving

I was thinking about this too. However one thing I did note is you play 42 games in your own building, plus an additional 6 in western Canada, so already over half your games would be so close to your affiliate. Combine that with 8 games in the LA/nevada region, and there would be a big percentage of games in their own time zone. More than they are right now.

But travel cost from Abbotsford to everyone else in the AHL would be a huge hinderence.

There was also an article in the Herald today where Ken King said they have not agreed on anything. It looks like the story originated simply because Abbotsford contacted the Flames as they did other AHL teams. Now King also never hinted of moving from Omaha and they did anyone so it will be an interesting one to track.

You're thinking of the ECHL, not the AHL. The closest team would be Winnipeg. Next closest, Des Moines (3,091 km

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well read in the q.c. times feb 20 that it is still uncertain and that both sides are looking at options. They haven't been that impressive of a team actually really boring. But these last 6 games i must say are some of the most exciting hockey i have seen them play. To bad they did not come out of the starting gate that way. They are actually showing some heart out there. And Lalande has been playing some pretty good net.

• 3 weeks later...
Do you know where you heard that?

It was Breaking News at 10pm on our NBC affiliate in the Quad Cities - Calgary signed the release. No news on where they are headed but they did, of course, mention Abbotsford. Not a shock for us here but quite disappointing for us hockey fans. They dumped an IHL team 2 years ago to bring this team in and it ticked a lot of people off. Unfortunately, the people here have no idea what quality hockey is and the ownership group took for granted that the people would buy in. They also did NOTHING to promote this team and I'm sure the players will be thrilled to get out of here. I moved here 3 years ago and have been ready to leave ever since.

Here's the link:

http://www.kwqc.com/global/story.asp?s=9992982''>http://www.kwqc.com/global/story.asp?s=9992982' target="_blank">http://www.kwqc.com/global/story.asp?s=9992982[/post]

It has now been announced on the local Vancouver sports radio. All we need is the AHL Board of Governors to approve it.

http://www.team1040.ca/news/story/?id=1825' target="_blank">Team 1040[/post]

A phone-in poll the station had indicated 66% support for the move.

Do you think the geography will really make that much of a difference? The ownership has agreed to pay subsidies to get the teams there and claim they need to fill 6000 seats to do it. You're "stuckinBC" - do you think it's going to fly there? Our owners screwed it all up, but there is a very talented, young pool of players in this systemand they deserve to be wanted and appreciated. I loved them...but there isn't enough "me" to keep them here :(

Do you think the geography will really make that much of a difference? The ownership has agreed to pay subsidies to get the teams there and claim they need to fill 6000 seats to do it. You're "stuckinBC" - do you think it's going to fly there? Our owners screwed it all up, but there is a very talented, young pool of players in this systemand they deserve to be wanted and appreciated. I loved them...but there isn't enough "me" to keep them here :(

I think it can "fly" here, since that's the only way they'll be getting around. This is a great hockey market, and alot of people don't want to spend in excess of $150 for two to go see the Nucks (I don't blame them, the times I went, I went for free). I've heard at least a couple other families seriously thinking about season tickets, and if the excitement is there, with the product on the ice and in the community, the should have no problem (at least) breaking even. The Abbotsford Airport is also quite capable of expansion, since they currently only have WestJet as the main tenant.

Since the travel has been taken care of in the proposal, my last concern is with the length of the agreement. They are saying 10 years, which would be great, however after getting out early in QC, I don't want the same to happen here.

My sympathies to you current QC fans, just don't think that the parent club gave up on you guys, we appreciate those who do make it out to the games.

I think it can "fly" here, since that's the only way they'll be getting around. This is a great hockey market, and alot of people don't want to spend in excess of $150 for two to go see the Nucks (I don't blame them, the times I went, I went for free). I've heard at least a couple other families seriously thinking about season tickets, and if the excitement is there, with the product on the ice and in the community, the should have no problem (at least) breaking even. The Abbotsford Airport is also quite capable of expansion, since they currently only have WestJet as the main tenant.

Since the travel has been taken care of in the proposal, my last concern is with the length of the agreement. They are saying 10 years, which would be great, however after getting out early in QC, I don't want the same to happen here.

My sympathies to you current QC fans, just don't think that the parent club gave up on you guys, we appreciate those who do make it out to the games.

I can't speak for all fans, but I came here from MN (you know, Canada's southern-most territory and The State of Hockey haha) and HOCKEY IS EVERYTHING! It's definitely a sad day for some of us. By the way, they left Omaha after 2 years as well...I think your concerns on the 10 yr. agreement are valid.

I think it'll work here in Abby but I wonder if they will change the name and uniform.... This is Orca country out here and the marketers would be wise to make it their own brand name (as the Manitoba Moose are) and separate their paraphernalia a bit from a flamin' letter...

I think it'll work here in Abby but I wonder if they will change the name and uniform.... This is Orca country out here and the marketers would be wise to make it their own brand name (as the Manitoba Moose are) and separate their paraphernalia a bit from a flamin' letter...

Reports say they will not keep the name but will have a contest for the public to name it. I hope it works and flourishes...we had big dreams here too - with a half a million people, you would think it would have made it. They blame the economy, the cost to take your family, the average play (let me remind you that people here do not buy the "better hockey" argument of the AHL vs. the old UHL and now 6-team IHL - duh). Not a bad team at all. And you will welcome home 7 BC players including David Van der Gulik who hails from Abbotsford. Maybe having them closer to home will add to their success.

Anotehr Article.

this one is from a station in the states and says the Quad Cities group also wants out as well as the Flames ownership group.

Apparantly the group in QC wanted more money to help offset their loses, and the Flames arn't willing to put anymore money into something they see as failed.

I don't care if it's in "canuck territory", I'm in canuck territory and I'm a flames fan, letting the flaming A burn again!

You'd have to be realistic though..... Just imagine turning the tables around and put an AHL team in the Calgary area... Then you give them a jersey that is blue with green trim, a whale on the front, and but with Calgary written across the top instead of a city beginning with V.... How many jerseys could you hope to sell in southern Alberta... It wouldn't be any different here..

AHL hockey will do well in Abbotsford if it comes in, it'll be the second biggest show around and people will go but they have to smart about it to build a strong fan base in a market that is a rival to the big club...

I did read an article that said they would find a unique name for the team. The new owner has said he had no interest in making the locals into Flames fans (but if it happens, I'm all for it), and I'm not sure if there will also be unique colours. Although using the old Atlanta Flames logo was a nice retro thought. Any ideas for a new name?

Abbotsford is an hour outside of Vancouver,this team will get booed to shreds every night,especially when the Moose are in town. This is a terrible move for the Flames,and I say this as a Canucks fan who will be booing them every night.

Abbotsford is an hour outside of Vancouver,this team will get booed to shreds every night,especially when the Moose are in town. This is a terrible move for the Flames,and I say this as a Canucks fan who will be booing them every night.

Then please do not attend any games. Why would you boo the home team if the Rockford Ice Hogs or Albany River Rats are in town? We like real fans, not boo birds.

Then please do not attend any games. Why would you boo the home team if the Rockford Ice Hogs or Albany River Rats are in town? We like real fans, not boo birds.

I will boo because I am a Canuck fan. In a 7,000 arena,your going to have 6,000 plus cheering for the road team(especially when the Moose are in town).

I am not even an obnoxious Canucks fan,I am just telling the truth.I lived in Calgary for 6 months,and loved it,granted its not my home town,any Canuck fans who say the city is a dump is an idiot.

I find that really hard to beleive. When the Moose were in town I would not be suprised at all to see the Moose get cheered more than the Flames, but at the same time who is actually going to pay money just to go and boo players that don't even play for the Flames for the most part?

I'll be absottsford team and they'll more than likely adopt them as their team. This is Canada after all. People will just be happy to see hockey.

The Flames need to put their affiliate in a city that is established with hockey, not an experiement like QC and Omaha were. The Flames have the belief that their AHL is going to be strictly a development team and are less worried about their results. That doens't sell very well in certain cities. They need an environment were hockey will be supported regardless of wether the team is good or not and I think Abootsford would do very well.

Archived