Rookie Tournament

I sure hope no one rips up a knee or something during this meaningless "tournament."

I actually like this idea. I agree you definetly don't want to see an injury but I think its good for the organizations and the prospects. Get to play against some better calibre than your use to, and the organization gets a better idea of how they stack up.

I'd love to go, but a two hour drive for a prospects game might be a little much.

Will it be the full prospects roster,thats quite huge,how will they determine who plays

Not quite. None of teh NCAA guys would be eligible becuase its consider a pro camp and thus they can't go. That takes out 4 guys I believe, Larsen, Marvin, Foulton, and i beleive there is one more.

I'd imagine they would take the full roster and then rotate them through the games as they see fit.

I also beleive this would include guys like Negrin, Nemisx and Wahl even though they are not gonna play for QC. Most of the teams that do this include their prospects and not ust their farm players.

Will it be the full prospects roster,thats quite huge,how will they determine who plays

Not quite sure yet. I'd expect to see guys like Backlund, Irving, Negrin, Aulie, Nemisz, Wahl, and Ryder.

PS can a mod change my spelling mistake in the title. Tried to, but don't think I can and it is bugging me.

Anyone know if there is a cost associated or can we just go and watch?

Thinking might drive up there sunday to see one of the games.

$30 for the tournament. So $10 a game. From what I've read I don't think they will be selling by the game though. Have to buy the the tournamet pass.

Also the flames rookies will be playing the University of Alberta Golden Bears in Edmonton on September 16 for those who live in the Edmonton area. Really looking forward to seeing these 3 games.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
They were saying on the Fan960 yesterday that the tournament will have a live audio/video stream on the Fan960.com

Straight from the horses' mouths, I guess: See here[/post], or just go straight here and to the "Live Event" clap-board just above where the video shows, at 7 PM MT on Sunday and Monday (not sure about Tuesday).

Just got back from the game. Definetly not the greatest game. Ice wasn't the greatest and two long delays sure didn't help. Always nice to beat the oilers though. Anyways here are my impressions of some of the guys that stood out. Let me know if you want to know about a guy that I didn't list.

Backlund- Didn't standout or put up any points, but thought he was dangerous most of his shifts. Sees the ice very well and definetly has good offensive instincts. Thought he looked fine defensively as well. Don't think he is ready for the big leagues yet. Hopefully he plays tomorrow night so I can get another look at him.

Nemisz- Really liked him. Didn't think his skating was an issue at all. He was keeping up with Backlund and Greentree. Big body and he definetly knows where to stand with it.

Greentree- Really hope he is ok after that brutal check from behind. What a terrible play by the oiler. Always sucks to see a player taken away by a stretcher. Hopefully it isn't serious. Also have to add whoever the jackass was that yelled "send him home" hope someone took you outside and beat the crap out of you. Show some respect. Never heard anything like that before. Total lack of class by some idiot.

Sutter- Absolutely love this kid. Doesn't quit and never stops moving his feet. Always going and giving 100% every shift. Exactly what you would expect out of a Sutter. Great shot as well for the shorthanded goal.

Wahl- Loved this pick when we made it and love it even more. Such a great player. Created quite a few chances and is great defensively. Him and Sutter were dangerous together on the PK. What a steal of a pick.

Watt- What a little agitator he is. Him and Peckham were going at it all night. He was always in the middle of everything when he was out on the ice. Decent enough skill as well. Plays on the edge and definetly can back it up. He has his reputation for a reason.

Bouma- My surprise forward of the night. Finishes every check and is always moving his feet. Him, Watt and Armstrong were a pretty solid gritty line. Didn't show much skill wise, but definetly gives it his all.

Negrin- Another guy that I love since he was drafted. Just a tremendous game from him. Every facet of the game he was just solid. Joined the rush, made good pinches and was solid defensively. Such a great skater and can make the breakout pass.

Pelech- So so night from him. Seemed to have some skate issues as he was having some problems in the first. Absolutely laid out some oiler in the 2nd. Not his greatest game I thought.

Brodie- Agree with the others. Thought he looked very good. Jumped up in the rush quite a bit and was fine defensively. Definetly a bit of a surprise.

Keetley- Great game by him. Got some good breaks early on with a couple posts, but settled down and looked great. Him and Irving should be a good combination for Quad Cities this season.

Looking forward to tomorrow night's game against the Canucks. Hope to see Irving in net.

Just want to add that

Brodie is a guy who I like more and more everytime I watch him. I didn't get the see the game last night, but through both prospect camps i've seen, he keeps impressing. I think he is a smooth skater with great natural offensive instincts that don't tend to leave his partners hanging out to dry like some young players can. And even in his own zone he tends to make a safe, more casual style play.

Reminds me of Giordano type mold. I think he has better natural defensive instincts that Gio but Gio has a better shot.

$30 for the tournament. So $10 a game. From what I've read I don't think they will be selling by the game though. Have to buy the the tournamet pass.

Also the flames rookies will be playing the University of Alberta Golden Bears in Edmonton on September 16 for those who live in the Edmonton area. Really looking forward to seeing these 3 games.

Its 15$ a game

Seen keenan sutter mac t and kevin lowe all having conversation a laughing it up, that was a little weird

it was a chippy game, the players were thinking "pass" way to much

Jd watt look great, this guy is the real deal hard working kid

keetly made some big saves, he looked good.

baklund was nothing to write home about, but you can tell that he has more skill then pretty much every player out there, lots of composure

Sutter looked good

Broodie look really good even my oiler friends were impressed, he was all over the ice the guy can skate.

Wilson was pretty impressive imo may be a diamond in the rough, he made a huge play blocking a sure goal when keetly was out of positon.give him a few years he will make the show, cant belive he was undrafted.

pelech didnt look so good and Ryder looked lost and made some seriously dumb plays.

Watching the game last night there were a few things that stood out to me.

Backlund was ok but by that performance he doesn't make the team. He showed to have some good soft hands and made a couple nice plays but he wasn't getting down and dirty trying to create offense. He was playing too much like Huselius, except that he would come back to help out defensively. He was good at stripping the other team of the puck but there were just too many chances where he should have powered towards the net or just shot instead of making a useless pass(Wilson to Backlund to Wilson to Backlund come to mind...)

Greentree really impressed me. From this game alone he looked almost as skilled as Backlund. I liked most of what I saw from him, until that punk Gary Bettman neck breaker layed that ridiculously stupid hit on him. Totally uncalled for and against the rules. He should be removed from the tournament for it.

Brodie stuck out a lot of the game, he just kept doing things right. Left an impression and I didn't really know anything about him before this.

Negrin had a fairly solid but quite game. He did have a couple big plays(something in the 1st and a shot block in the 3rd) but for the most part he just played solidly.

I liked Watt out there. Creating energy and doing a good job of keeping the puck on his stick in the oppositions end. Kind of reminded me of Nystrom last season when he was called up.

Didn't much care for Sutter most of the game but that shot was a beauty.

Wilson also looked very good out there.

Other then that I only really remember Armstrong hogging the puck when he should have been passing and Pelechs big hit in the 2nd.

Archived