Calgary's Top Prospects

His 33 PIM have alot to do with the fact that he got into a fight sticking up for one of his teammate who received a sketchy hit. That was early November I believe...I've been following his season so far, but its somewhat difficult because eliteprospects.com seems to be a little behind on their updates (he played on Saturday and scored, but this hasnt been added to his stats) and I dont speak swedish, so I have to translate the game summaries. They (vasteras' website) dont seem to have available stat sheets either, although they did have the scoring summary up from the last game.

VIK-Malm

Backlund is sitting on 3g 3a in 12 games, nothing spectacular. He's sitting on the second line at the moment and hasn't really been outstanding. Unfortunately they don't show 2nd League on TV over here that much (and I don't have time to follow hehe), and the league gets very little attention considering the humble size of my country and competing sports.

He's had some good feedback from the coach regarding improved (not saying good) physical play and expecially face offs. He's not a gamebreaker and he'll need skilled players on his wings to put the pucks in the net, so I wouldn't expect massive scoring output. In any case I think he'd fare better in a better league, his hockey sense is well above 2nd line duty in 2nd tier league, and he's not the one to dominate a game physically and create lots of scoring by himself.

Speaking of which, if we're going to keep going on with our wonderful crop of d-men and goalies.

Sutter should look into Rafael Dorso and Shawn Mortin-Boutin, as well as Johnaton Hazen(I would've told him to look into Sauve and Scandella as well, but both were drafted 2nd round last year).

All three play for Val-d'Or in the Quebec League, and Val-d'Or hasn't been doing so hot but Dorso's been solid and Boutin's their 2nd Top D-Man next to Scandella.

And Hazen's been doing pretty well too, last game I saw he had one heck of a beautiful backhand xD.

Backlund is sitting on 3g 3a in 12 games, nothing spectacular. He's sitting on the second line at the moment and hasn't really been outstanding. Unfortunately they don't show 2nd League on TV over here that much (and I don't have time to follow hehe), and the league gets very little attention considering the humble size of my country and competing sports.

He's had some good feedback from the coach regarding improved (not saying good) physical play and expecially face offs. He's not a gamebreaker and he'll need skilled players on his wings to put the pucks in the net, so I wouldn't expect massive scoring output. In any case I think he'd fare better in a better league, his hockey sense is well above 2nd line duty in 2nd tier league, and he's not the one to dominate a game physically and create lots of scoring by himself.

i don't follow this aspect very much, so this might be a sstupid question, but going to throw it out there nonetheless.

if backlund is so good, why is he playing on a div. 2 team again?!? is it a contractual issue?

wouldn't it be more valuable to have him play in the ahl rather than on a div. 2 league?!? (another possible stupid question, as maybe he's underage for the ahl and would have to go to juniour or something)

i don't follow this aspect very much, so this might be a sstupid question, but going to throw it out there nonetheless.

if backlund is so good, why is he playing on a div. 2 team again?!? is it a contractual issue?

wouldn't it be more valuable to have him play in the ahl rather than on a div. 2 league?!? (another possible stupid question, as maybe he's underage for the ahl and would have to go to juniour or something)

yes. he plays for Vasteras, home town, and Vasteras does not have a team in the SEL. He likely could but he is under contract with Vasteras and has been for many years including their junior team. Its not like they seed them based on their skill.

He could have played in the A because he is European. I beleive the thought to sending him back was to A honor his contract and B allow him to grow in his homeland where he is more comfortable.

Yes he would probably learn more in the A, but not significantly more.

yes. he plays for Vasteras, home town, and Vasteras does not have a team in the SEL. He likely could but he is under contract with Vasteras and has been for many years including their junior team. Its not like they seed them based on their skill.

He could have played in the A because he is European. I beleive the thought to sending him back was to A honor his contract and B allow him to grow in his homeland where he is more comfortable.

Yes he would probably learn more in the A, but not significantly more.

hmmm.... i guess. stilll think learning the north american game (which to at least some degree is different than the swedish leagues) , as well as being in the north american environment, as well as playing with our prospect "pool" (if u can call it that :P) would have done more for his development and the flames organization than him playing div 2 hockey out in sweden.....

but that's just me :P

unless u are correct that there's no difference between div1 div2 skill levels out there..

hmmm.... i guess. stilll think learning the north american game (which to at least some degree is different than the swedish leagues) , as well as being in the north american environment, as well as playing with our prospect "pool" (if u can call it that :P ) would have done more for his development and the flames organization than him playing div 2 hockey out in sweden.....

but that's just me :P

unless u are correct that there's no difference between div1 div2 skill levels out there..

There is a difference, but what I mean was that its not like Backlund was put there becuase he can't play in the SEL. He could play in the Sel and probably do fine but he is under contract to a div 2 team and tahts why he is there. There are better player's in the top tier, but its not his skill preventing him from going up its contractual. If that makes more sense.

I'm sure Sutter would have prefered to get him over, but without a transfer agreement I'm not sure they could have legally brought him over as he was under contract.

There is a difference, but what I mean was that its not like Backlund was put there becuase he can't play in the SEL. He could play in the Sel and probably do fine but he is under contract to a div 2 team and tahts why he is there. There are better player's in the top tier, but its not his skill preventing him from going up its contractual. If that makes more sense.

I'm sure Sutter would have prefered to get him over, but without a transfer agreement I'm not sure they could have legally brought him over as he was under contract.

Got it.

appreciate the clarification.

Actually,

The statement Sutter gave was that in this league he's playing against Men. Not young players, and this is supposed to develop his endurance and hockey-sense in a way that the AHL would not be able to.

He would probably look better getting top line minutes on the quad-cities, but for his growth the overall, it's tough to say which is better.

Ritchie Regehr is having a decent season overseas so far as well.

Actually,

The statement Sutter gave was that in this league he's playing against Men. Not young players, and this is supposed to develop his endurance and hockey-sense in a way that the AHL would not be able to.

He would probably look better getting top line minutes on the quad-cities, but for his growth the overall, it's tough to say which is better.

Ritchie Regehr is having a decent season overseas so far as well.

I personally think thats Sutter just feeding the media.

All of last Sutter said he wanted Backlund over in the Western League to develop him faster. It wasn't until the stuff changed internationally that he changed his tone and said he is heading back to Sweden.

I don't think Sweden is a bad place to develop. I'm just saying that if Sutter had his way I doubt Backlund would be in Sweden. Keep in mind Sweden is pro hockey. sutter has zero control over the type of ice time Backlund gets. He would have that over here.

Not just the statistics that are inconsistent. From what I've heard the coach quit because he was receiving threats. So anything goes I guess.

Second of all, he couldn't have played 20 games. The team has, but he didn't come back from training camp until after the season started, and he's been away on international duty.

Consider the quality players the team has, I wouldn't make him the go-to guy either unless he earned it. But he looked alright during the first period in todays game. He wasn't afraid the shoot when he got an opportunity. Too bad it collides with Arsenal's game, otherwise I'd watch the rest as well.

Speaking of quality, one of his linemates has experience in abundance. Anyone remember Patrik Juhlin? Didn't think so. He tried out for the Flyers after winning the olympic gold in 94, but didn't make it. He was a point per game player in the AHL and he also has about 300 games combined from the Swiss and finnish league. He could have worse role models.

Not just the statistics that are inconsistent. From what I've heard the coach quit because he was receiving threats. So anything goes I guess.

Second of all, he couldn't have played 20 games. The team has, but he didn't come back from training camp until after the season started, and he's been away on international duty.

Consider the quality players the team has, I wouldn't make him the go-to guy either unless he earned it. But he looked alright during the first period in todays game. He wasn't afraid the shoot when he got an opportunity. Too bad it collides with Arsenal's game, otherwise I'd watch the rest as well.

Speaking of quality, one of his linemates has experience in abundance. Anyone remember Patrik Juhlin? Didn't think so. He tried out for the Flyers after winning the olympic gold in 94, but didn't make it. He was a point per game player in the AHL and he also has about 300 games combined from the Swiss and finnish league. He could have worse role models.

Meh, I must have had my head stuck up my *ss. Of course, Tornberg left due to the threats. Now, the boys I talked to was pretty pissed before he left though since the slide started long ago. I hardly have time to follow SEL so Allsvenskan is no-go for me. You're right

Regarding Juhlin, he's a big Swedish hero! He won the olympic gold in '94 with Sweden after the classic "Foppa"-deke on Hirsch (which is actually a post stamp in Sweden) and if I'm not totally lost he played pretty well that tournament. Mind you, that was 15 years ago and I'd only lived half as long as I have now :)

Can I assume that you're Swedish as well?

Meh, I must have had my head stuck up my *ss. Of course, Tornberg left due to the threats. Now, the boys I talked to was pretty pissed before he left though since the slide started long ago. I hardly have time to follow SEL so Allsvenskan is no-go for me. You're right

Regarding Juhlin, he's a big Swedish hero! He won the olympic gold in '94 with Sweden after the classic "Foppa"-deke on Hirsch (which is actually a post stamp in Sweden) and if I'm not totally lost he played pretty well that tournament. Mind you, that was 15 years ago and I'd only lived half as long as I have now :)

Can I assume that you're Swedish as well?

I thought "Meatball country" would be a dead giveaway. :P

But you've got a year or two on me. I wasn't even that old when it happened.

Speaking of prospects, Alexander Deilert also plays in Allsvenskan. He's been loaned from Djurgarden to Almtuna. Unfortunatly, they've only got one game scheduled to be shown. Vaster

Archived