Calgary's Top Prospects

1. i have no idea how kris chucko is still playing hockey, short of the fact that the flames have not drafted well and you need 12 forwards to ice a team in the QC. yes, DVDG's stock has plummetted since his +27 of a year ago, but i still put him solidly ahead of chucko for a big club fourth line spot (behind prust and the plethora of overpaid vets like primeau, of course). i honestly see JD Watt getting a bump before chucko, EVEN with sutter's propensity to promote first rounders.

2. no pardy at development camp means he's already secured the #1 spot for promotable defenseman, or he's getting hitched next week in the south pacific. i agree with your thoughts on negrin: that he's looking fast, big, tough, and smart. with no immediate use for him, however (until we officially lose some deadweight on the blueline), i would imagine he'll spend some time on the farm. i don't see him going back to juniors on the offchance the flames D sucks as bad as last year and we need some help.

3. prust should've been playing last year in lieu of mark smith. end of story (just as gio should've been playing instead of eriksson). there may have been some residual post surgery back problems or something for prust. i hope so... otherwise sutter lost a full year of NHL experience on this project.

4. sutter has already stated that backlund will play in the top 6 in calgary, or be returned to sweden. depending on his september training camp, i would presume the latter to be the more likely scenario. top 6 might be a stretch...

5. i know there is a lot of faith in leland irving but when they played on the same ice surface a year ago, the elder keetley looked far superior. he's got a wicked glove hand and none of the fivehole problems irving was demonstrating last camp.... i guess we'll see what difference a year makes.

that's all.

2. no pardy at development camp means he's already secured the #1 spot for promotable defenseman, or he's getting hitched next week in the south pacific. i agree with your thoughts on negrin: that he's looking fast, big, tough, and smart. with no immediate use for him, however (until we officially lose some deadweight on the blueline), i would imagine he'll spend some time on the farm. i don't see him going back to juniors on the offchance the flames D sucks as bad as last year and we need some help.

4. sutter has already stated that backlund will play in the top 6 in calgary, or be returned to sweden. depending on his september training camp, i would presume the latter to be the more likely scenario. top 6 might be a stretch...

2. I meant some time with QC lol. I didn't mean WHL.

4. Backlund may stay and play in the WHL if he doesn't make the team. His rights are owned by the Kelowna Rockets.

2. I meant some time with QC lol. I didn't mean WHL.

4. Backlund may stay and play in the WHL if he doesn't make the team. His rights are owned by the Kelowna Rockets.

True, but all reports suggest that he doens't have interest in playing in Kelowna. He also has a contract to play in Sweden and both Sutter and Backlund's camp have said they will honor that contract.

2. no pardy at development camp means he's already secured the #1 spot for promotable defenseman, or he's getting hitched next week in the south pacific.

Pardy isn't eligible for development camp as he is on his second pro contract. Only player's on their first pro contract are eligible. Its why you don't see Pardy, Prust or Nystrom there either.

As far as Top Prospects go, I wouldn't give up on Chucko quite yet. I still think he has potential to be a 3/4th liner for the Flames although I will admit hope is fading.

Armstrong reminds me of Craig Conroy. Strong along the boards, good open ice skater, with the ability to both set up but also finished. NOe sure if he'll have the same offensive numbers as Conroy, but he did get voted as best faceoff man in the OHL and a tough guy to play against. I see a very good 3rd line center in him.

Negrin =Scott Hannan in my mind. Great potential.

J.D Watt - sure snare an agitator role within a few seasons.

Pelech - Much bigger fan of him now than when we drafted him. Fantastic skater for a dman and I think he has great potential at the next level. Kinda a mix between Sarich/Regher. NOt quite as smart as Regher, but a better skater than Sarich.

Aulie/ Baldwin - See good out of both, and also see bad. Need to watch more.

Some guys that are "sleepers" in a way -

Aaron Marvin. If this guy improves his skating he could be a very good NHLer. Great hands, and great size. 2nd line center potential.

Per Johnson - Not sure if this guy figures into the Flames plans anymore. Button suggested he did but I don't see him on the development camp roster and I believe he is still eligible. However, he was looking ilke a diamond in the rough kinda guy. Kinda a Toni Lydman style player.

New players i'll have to wait until next week to get a decent read of, ie Nemisez etc.

I'm not near as high on Van Der Guilk as some people. Every camp i'm at the guy gets killed along the boards. I dont' think he is an NHL player other than the odd call up.

Greentree, Germyn, and maybe even Chucko are all callups for forwrds. Pardy and Pelech I think would get the call for Dman.

EDIT: I excluded Dan Ryder for obvious reasons. Assuming he comes back healthy, in shape, and committed, he becomes a solid top 6 prospect. However, I will omit him until I see what type of player comes back. I would rank Wahl and Nemisez in, or very close to the top 6 based on potential, but i'll wait to get a better look at them.

What about our latest picks? None of them make it in?

none of our latest picks are good enough to make the jump straight from junior at this age. the guy nearest to doing so (in my opinion) would be negrin, and that's still a huge longshot...

i didn't know the contract rules on camp. now i do. thanks for the 411.

on 'garbage bag day', sutter mentionned that there were 3 young defensemen that would fight for/take roster spots this year. i can only presume he meant giordano +2. there's been a lot of talk on the blogs regarding which two additional blueliners he may have been referring to, and the general consensus is pardy, pelech, negrin (mostly in that order). with vandermeer signed and the deadweight (warrener, eriksson) still kicking around, none of these guys will get a shot this year.

What about our latest picks? None of them make it in?

I think Nemisez and Wahl both have top 6 potential, and I also like the sound of Larsen but its hard to cateogirze them in a list when many havn't seen them play yet.

Plus they are all at least 2-3 years away from the NHL so i guess it depends what type of list you want. Projected NHL impact, or how soon they are gonna be ready.

As Sutter has added depth to the prospects by drafting, signing & trading, I think that he is starting to trim to retain the cream of the crop. For prospects that he believes no longer have a chance to help the organization he has dealt with them by trading them away (Ramholtz) or not signing them again. So I am thinking in Sutters mind the majority of the prospects left all have a chance?

Forwards

I think Aki "the 2nd last Fin" Seitsonen would be an extreme longshot, but I think Sutter still thinks he has a chance? I think a little less risky long shot for bottom 6 would be Brett Sutter. His Hockey developement stalled while they were in San Jose so its taking him longer to get up to the NHL level.

It may just be propaganda when I was listening to the 08 draft; I thought it was interesting that Tod button suddenly started talking about Per Jonsson, a player drafted 2 years ago?

I predicting that Mitch Wahl will make the biggest noise from his Flames draft class, Larson being long term at 7 years away.

For defense I will maintain status quo.

John Negrin being invited to shadow the Flames once his season was done is a huge honor for a 3rd round 19 year old.

I agree that Keith Aulie is still a couple of years away from the NHL. Based on him gettng a Team Canada Jr developement invite plus an AHL invite for again a 19 year old is a big honor so I think when his eventually makes it, he will do big things,

Matt Pelech really jumped in his developement playing a whole AHL season last year, On top of everything mention about him, there is also his enforcer attributes.

I think one AHL seasons in QC will cure Wilsons defensive shortcomings, so if he can improve his skating he could be a huge steal as Sutter has been quoted by saying that he is already ahead of other defensement currently in the organization.

Goalies.

We have so much depth that we now need Noodles to manage it, that I think is a great situation to be in!

Does Backlund look ready enough to overtake a Boyd or Lombo??? I wonder what it would look like if he was on a line with Cammy on the left and Glencross on the right side???

Backlund was fantastic he is one of the best prospects we have I think he could center cammy and Lombo making a terrific 2nd line don't know if will happen but he is capable of it

Does Backlund look ready enough to overtake a Boyd or Lombo??? I wonder what it would look like if he was on a line with Cammy on the left and Glencross on the right side???

I think you'd be wasting Backlund's talents if you want him to play on a line with Glencross. You know what all contending teams have on their seconds lines... not a Glencross. He's a 4th liner that can play on a 3rd line if you need. A 10 min per game max.

I think you'd be wasting Backlund's talents if you want him to play on a line with Glencross. You know what all contending teams have on their seconds lines... not a Glencross. He's a 4th liner that can play on a 3rd line if you need. A 10 min per game max.

You're actually right. I think some flames fans just weren't aware because of the fact that he did so well against the flames.

I really hope we call up Backlund to play on the 2nd line. There are a lot of question marks there and I'm not confident that both Boyd and Lombo will pick up their play enough to handle the minutes. I would really hate to see a guy with his talent and potential move back to Sweden and pass us by.

I really hope we call up Backlund to play on the 2nd line. There are a lot of question marks there and I'm not confident that both Boyd and Lombo will pick up their play enough to handle the minutes. I would really hate to see a guy with his talent and potential move back to Sweden and pass us by.

He may not play this season, but there is no questions he will soon. Both the Flames and Backlund and very clear its not a question of if, but a question of when he plays in the NHL. Flames already have him under contract, so even if he wanted to leave he likely couldn't. However, he has already expressed his extreme desire to play in the NHL soon. Wether or not he makes it is up to his performance in camp.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
trying to find how backlund's doing so far this season, but can't seem to find anything on him anywhere...

anyone know his stats so far?!?!

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=4295〈=en' target="_blank">Link to Backlund's stats[/post]

Before people freak out and go "he's overrated" becuase he only has 5 points in 10 games, he left to play in the four nations tournament. He put up 3 points in 4 games and just got back. He hasn't been able to setle in at Vasteras.

thanx cross.

his stats look fine.

interesting to see that in 10 league games he's accumulated 33 PIMs haha!

Im' thinking part of that has to do with what he took away from training camp. I'm sure the coaching staff preached to him to be more assertive and physical. Physical in the NHL is different than physical in the Swedish elite league.

Thats just a theory though.

I think his stats are ok, but you'd like them higher. However, given that he is likely tweaking his game and missed some time to play at the four nations (or some tournament may not have been the four nations) I'm not that suprised or upset. I'll be alittle more worried if its towards the end of the year and he is still only a .5 PPG style player.

are there any posters on this board who follow the swedish league? if so, it would be greatly appreciated to get some updates on the kid. i think everyone's hoping for a decent year from him, as i think most have already penciled him in as a calgary flame next year.

are there any posters on this board who follow the swedish league? if so, it would be greatly appreciated to get some updates on the kid. i think everyone's hoping for a decent year from him, as i think most have already penciled him in as a calgary flame next year.

I try to. Unfortunately they rarely show Vasteras games on tv. They did recently, but then he was away at the tournament cross was talking about...

Archived