Keith Aulie

I'm suprised becuase I was not that high on Aulie when I watched him at the development camp and prospect camps. He looked nervous and not relaxed, but I still wasn't impressed. I would have thought Negrin would have got an invite as well.

Could be a sleeper but I still think he needs more improvement to make an impact on the NHL level. His foot speed is good, but not great. Tahts ok for Junior but I think it woudl need to get faster to be in the NHL. Hoever, like i said he was kinda clutsy and it could just be a situation where he is growing into his frame.

Doughty, Pietrangelo, and Schenn might step straight into the NHL so that opens the door for players like Aulie to make the team. Despite that, it's going to be tough. There are other good Dmen like Tyler Cuma, Tyler Myers, Colten Teubert, and Yann Sauve.

I noticed there were a few other 4th, 5th, and 6th round picks who have been invited. Aulie is not the only one.

Doughty, Pietrangelo, and Schenn might step straight into the NHL so that opens the door for players like Aulie to make the team. Despite that, it's going to be tough. There are other good Dmen like Tyler Cuma, Tyler Myers, Colten Teubert, and Yann Sauve.

Good point about potential player voids, to me that legitimizes his invite even more. Pairing Aulie up with Myers for two 6' 6"+ bookends around the goal could be pretty impressive.

I have no expectation of rushing his development into the NHL, I just think this could be great news for his development and experience.

• 4 weeks later...

Watched Aulie back in Brandon all last year with the Wheat Kings. Great player all round. The quiet dman that is very steady, very rarely gets burned in his own end. The guy can scrap with the best too when needed to. Remeber one game when he handed the opposing teams goon a real beating. Wish I could remeber who it was. It might have been Flames prospect JD WATT. Would be great to see him in Brandon again this year, but hey he deserves to go to QC instead.

How old is he? He has to be at least 20 to play in the AHL (i believe.)

Born: 11 Jun '89 (Age 19)

3 WHL seasons.

That's a great question?

I checked the AHL site and rules & it doesn't come straight out and list it. My understanding is that CHL players have to either have played 4 CHL seasons or then be 20 to enter the league whereas European & NCAA can be 18?

My only speculation is that they may have an age + weight + height threshold exception? Does being 6'6" & over 200 lbs make up for being 1 year shy in age?

http://mlntherawfeed.squarespace.com/hockey-transactions/2008/4/10/quad-city-flames-sign-jd-watt-john-armstrong-and-keith-aulie.html' target="_blank">http://mlntherawfeed.squarespace.com/hocke...eith-aulie.html[/post]

Born: 11 Jun '89 (Age 19)

3 WHL seasons.

That's a great question?

I checked the AHL site and rules & it doesn't come straight out and list it. My understanding is that CHL players have to either have played 4 CHL seasons or then be 20 to enter the league whereas European & NCAA can be 18?

My only speculation is that they may have an age + weight + height threshold exception? Does being 6'6" & over 200 lbs make up for being 1 year shy in age?

http://mlntherawfeed.squarespace.com/hockey-transactions/2008/4/10/quad-city-flames-sign-jd-watt-john-armstrong-and-keith-aulie.html' target="_blank">http://mlntherawfeed.squarespace.com/hocke...eith-aulie.html[/post]

I just googled it but found nothing but hearsay and guesses. It seems you're right though. It's either they are 20-years-old or they have played 4 years of junior. Plus, Euro players and NCAA are exempt from this rule because the rule is only in place to protect CHL teams from losing player rights.

I'm not sure how John Ferguson Jr was managing his attempt to sign John Tavares to the Marlies... hmm...

But yea, it would seem that Keith Aulie must return to juniors if he cannot make the NHL. The AHL is not an option for him because he doesn't meet the age requirements?

I'm not sure how John Ferguson Jr was managing his attempt to sign John Tavares to the Marlies... hmm...

Originally I thought he had the 4 years because he got an exemption to start the OHL early, He still only has 3 & has been very quiet on his plans. I was betting on him going the the KHL, but have heard nothing and their training camp start next month.

But yea, it would seem that Keith Aulie must return to juniors if he cannot make the NHL. The AHL is not an option for him because he doesn't meet the age requirements?

Based on what should happen (CHL or NHL) verses what appears to be happening (amateur try out for AHL), I still believe there is another variable. As opposed to my original thought of Keith exceeding a requirement limit, I have lately wondered about something as simple as Brandon waiving his rights as its in Aulie's best interest? The other 2 guys mentioned in the article are both ending their CHL careers for sure, so it would appear that Aulie is too unless the was just for the end of last season and then he can still go back the the WHL? :huh:

Archived