John Negrin

It would be an amazing feat for a 3rd round pick to jump from juniors straight into the NHL. Not only that, was Negrin even an all-star in junior last season?

The other thing is, the Flames already have 8 Dmen under contract. Negrin would make it 9. There's no room for Negrin on the roster unless Warrener and/or Eriksson are traded or stuffed in the minors.

It would be an amazing feat for a 3rd round pick to jump from juniors straight into the NHL. Not only that, was Negrin even an all-star in junior last season?

The other thing is, the Flames already have 8 Dmen under contract. Negrin would make it 9. There's no room for Negrin on the roster unless Warrener and/or Eriksson are traded or stuffed in the minors.

Negrin won gold with the U-18 in 2006 only. Having no prior all star experience might be why Negrin was taken so low. Its possible that last season was by pure luck, I'm sure the jury is not out on Negrin yet as rather he was just having a really good season or he is a late bloomer. Actually not even late bloomer, underrated is more like it.

Negrin won gold with the U-18 in 2006 only. Having no prior all star experience might be why Negrin was taken so low. Its possible that last season was by pure luck, I'm sure the jury is not out on Negrin yet as rather he was just having a really good season or he is a late bloomer. Actually not even late bloomer, underrated is more like it.

Didnt he have a concussion in Junior, thats why he fell to Round 3?

I believe it was his knee,he injuried it in the playoffs two years ago against the hitmen

From what I found, he broke his ankle playing slo-pitch and later sustained a concussion playing Regina.

"Following a season of frustration that began with an errant slide into second base playing slo-pitch in August that fractured his ankle and forced him to miss Kootenays first 16 games and an ill-advised rush up the ice was met with a thunderous check from Nick Ross of the Regina Pats that forced him out of the next 12 games with a concussion, Negrin

The above is right, Negrin slipped due to Injury. NOt only in that season, but he has battled injuries for most of his junior career. Last year was a great year predominately because he remained healthy. If it weren't for the injuries some scouting agencies had him as a lower 1st roun to high 2nd round pick. Even despite that, the Hockey news had him being picked in the early 30s. I was uite suprised to see the Flames get him in the 3rd.

I'm not totally suprised by Sutter's comments because he is very high on Negrin. Negrin's skating is NHL calibre as it stands right now. He is one of the best skating dmen I have seen. Its not that he is fast either, he is fast but its his fluid movement quick side to side adjustment and overal just effortless and seemless transitions from foot to foot that make him so impressive. So making the jump isn't out the question because even as he adjusts he has the skating ability to overcome mistakes made as he adjusts to the speed fo the game.

HOwever, I still hold that my opinion is that he needs another year of junior. HIs offensive game could use some work. Yes he put up some good points last season, but virtually all of the were assists. He shows reluctancy to become invovled offensivly and that could use some grooming. A little strength wouldn't hurt him either.

Here's a John Negrin video from last season...

''>
' target="_blank">
[/post]

Looks to me like he is patient, confident, has decent skating ability and good stick work. Didn't seem all that physical though.

The only problem I see is his jersey number as I'm sure he'll let Dion keep 3.

Looks to me like he is patient, confident, has decent skating ability and good stick work. Didn't seem all that physical though.

The only problem I see is his jersey number as I'm sure he'll let Dion keep 3.

He reminds me so much of Scott Hannan. Can be physical but only really down low in the corners. Isn't gona lay a big hit for guys coming across the blueline, but his smooth foot work allows him to keep players to the outside and out of good scoring areas. Good first pass but not all that interested in offensive game.

Would like to see him bulk up a lttle bit and get some more aggression, but I'l take a Scott Hannan type player any day.

Archived