Could Calgary have an AHL team?

If Calgary was able to get an AHL team, that would likely spell the end of the Hitmen. Toronto is able to keep a team like the Marlies due to a massive population and a hockey demand that had made Leafs tickets available to only the 7 richest kinds of Europe, making Marlies games an affordable alternative for Leaf fans. Calgary doesn't have that same population to draw from, and the Hitmen really cover that demographic. Personally, I'd rather have AHL teams in markets in the States, where they will be able to perhaps educate the not-as-hockey-knowledgeable to a great game, at a cheaper price, and help bring more fans to the game. Also, factor in travel costs for having a team on the prairies and you have an inflated expense just for existing.

Not trying to kill an idea, I mean, I would like to see some AHL hockey, but if thats at the expense of a WHL hockey francahise, then I don't think its worth it.

Yea, dont get me wrong. I do love the Hitmen and I love having them here but I think itd be great to have the Junior Flames. It would give us a better chance to see our prospects and to see other teams prospects when they come to Calgary to play the junior Flames. The team would probably have to change their name though as we already have the Calgary Flames. Would be a bit confusing to have two Calgary Flames :P

They can play at the saddledome, move them or the Hitmen to the Correl center? (its about time that place gets put to good use again)

I don't think the Coral meets NHL/AHL rink sizes regulations.

It's must be renovated and that's too expensive to do for a Farm team.

If Calgary was able to get an AHL team, that would likely spell the end of the Hitmen. Toronto is able to keep a team like the Marlies due to a massive population and a hockey demand that had made Leafs tickets available to only the 7 richest kinds of Europe, making Marlies games an affordable alternative for Leaf fans. Calgary doesn't have that same population to draw from, and the Hitmen really cover that demographic. Personally, I'd rather have AHL teams in markets in the States, where they will be able to perhaps educate the not-as-hockey-knowledgeable to a great game, at a cheaper price, and help bring more fans to the game. Also, factor in travel costs for having a team on the prairies and you have an inflated expense just for existing.

Not trying to kill an idea, I mean, I would like to see some AHL hockey, but if thats at the expense of a WHL hockey francahise, then I don't think its worth it.

Some good points here and I agree that it's not economical to put the Baby Flames in Calgary. Travel costs, lease agreements, and competition for revenue/attendance to a degree, are all issues.

Hockey is hockey to some but to the hardcore, the CHL and AHL offer an alternative within the same genre. I believe both products would draw well enough to keep operations viable but the Baby Flames would definitely take away a few fans from the Hitmen.

I don't think the Coral meets NHL/AHL rink sizes regulations.

It's must be renovated and that's too expensive to do for a Farm team.

Although they also had to renovate the iWireless Center... ;)

Some good points here and I agree that it's not economical to put the Baby Flames in Calgary. Travel costs, lease agreements, and competition for revenue/attendance to a degree, are all issues.

Hockey is hockey to some but to the hardcore, the CHL and AHL offer an alternative within the same genre. I believe both products would draw well enough to keep operations viable but the Baby Flames would definitely take away a few fans from the Hitmen.

I agree. It's too cost prohibitive. Frankly, the Hitmen probably make more money than the QC Flames do, or would even if they moved here. Since the Flames own the Hitmen, that's a better situation for them.

Interesting idea...

To those that argued about the costs, think of it in another way:

I believe the Flames own the Hitmen (I could be wrong). The Flames only own the name and affiliation to Quad City. If the Baby Flames would generate more seats than the Hitmen games, maybe this change could be the impetus of a new arena.

Flames games - 41 regular games, 4 preseason, 2-16 postseason (hopefully) 45-60 nights

Baby Flames - similar numbers

The new arena would already be at roughly 40% capacity

The Hitmen could stay playing at the Saddledome until it becomes a "white elephant"

If they wanted to move the Quad City Flames here earlier than the timeframe of a new arena, then I think bye-bye Hitmen still makes economic sense as the Baby Flames will likely outdraw the Hitmen.

(on an aside, Calgary as a city NEEDS a good facility that houses 8000-10,000 seats for so many sporting and non-sporting events. Maybe the Hitmen need a new home (in Calgary) anyways.)

Interesting idea...

To those that argued about the costs, think of it in another way:

I believe the Flames own the Hitmen (I could be wrong). The Flames only own the name and affiliation to Quad City. If the Baby Flames would generate more seats than the Hitmen games, maybe this change could be the impetus of a new arena.

Flames games - 41 regular games, 4 preseason, 2-16 postseason (hopefully) 45-60 nights

Baby Flames - similar numbers

The new arena would already be at roughly 40% capacity

The Hitmen could stay playing at the Saddledome until it becomes a "white elephant"

If they wanted to move the Quad City Flames here earlier than the timeframe of a new arena, then I think bye-bye Hitmen still makes economic sense as the Baby Flames will likely outdraw the Hitmen.

(on an aside, Calgary as a city NEEDS a good facility that houses 8000-10,000 seats for so many sporting and non-sporting events. Maybe the Hitmen need a new home (in Calgary) anyways.)

You forget that the Baby Flames have higher salaries and cost more to run. People won't pay more to see them, they'd pay the same as they would the Hitmen. The Hitmen however, don't earn salaries and are easy to run. It's cheaper and makes more money to run a WHL team than an AHL team.

This doesn't even ntake into consideration the added expenses of travel and whatnot.

The Saddledome will be demolished as the Stampede needs that room.

Why is that?

Do they prefer UHL hockey?

No. I only know one person that prefers UHL/IHL hockey, and quite frankly I fear for her sanity.

The most common complaint that I've heard is that Calgary doesn't care about their farm team. Several of the people I've talked to would prefer to be affiliated with a team like Atlanta, that allows their AHL team to sign quite a few of their own players.

I was going to suggest that perhaps Calgary geographically would not work logistically. The team would have to fly out of their time zone for every single road game, and would play a huge chunk of their schedule in the Eastern Time Zone. My guess is that travel expenses would make it unreasonable to house an AHL team in Calgary. Although I am sure the team would do fine in Calgary, attendance wise, it just doesn't make much sense given the current location of the other 28/29 teams.

• 2 weeks later...
You forget that the Baby Flames have higher salaries and cost more to run. People won't pay more to see them, they'd pay the same as they would the Hitmen. The Hitmen however, don't earn salaries and are easy to run. It's cheaper and makes more money to run a WHL team than an AHL team.

This doesn't even ntake into consideration the added expenses of travel and whatnot.

The AHL is pretty much geographically centered in the eastern Great Lakes region of the United States. With the exception of Manitoba (a former NHL market) there are no teams even remotely adjacent to Calgary. Given the huge expenses that Calgary and its division rivals would incur, I doubt the AHL would embrace such a move. Chicago, Philadelphia, and Toronto can get away with it only because they're within the prescribed boundaries of the league.

The QC Flames are, geographically speaking, a near-perfect match for the present divisional alignment. The AHL is attempting to push even more teams into their existing Midwest footprint to further minimize travel costs. Relocating QC to Calgary would throw a serious wrench into those plans.

Let's, for sake of this argument, set aside the monumental logistical problems the AHL would encounter by having the Baby Flames in Calgary. Having all three teams (both Flames and the Hitmen) playing in one arena could stretch the market a little thin while creating possible scheduling bottlenecks. The Baby Flames would certainly see an increase over their 3,400/game in Quad City right now, but it would be at the expense of the Hitmen's attendance figures. That would diminish the potential profitability of both teams.

The QC Flames will last longer than the Omaha Knights did...but by exactly how many seasons, I'm not yet sure. The attendance has been picking up noticeably during the last month. In fact, if you compare the Friday/Saturday dates from earlier this season to the ones in February, it's approximately a 35% increase. If that trend sustains itself for the rest of the season, and into 08-09...there's no doubt the QC Flames will be around for awhile.

You can't compare Calgary to Toronto, it's 6 times the size. AHL wouldn't work here, just not a big enough market to support it. I'm not saying Calgary isn't a hockeytown, but just bc it's a hockeytown, it doesnt mean you can put up any team here from any league and it would work.

It would work without a WHL team in Calgary if all other things were equal...but they're not. The travel alone kills this idea.

Archived