Knights Leaving Omaha?

THANKS FOR STABBING US IN THE BACK CALGARY!!! BEWARE QUAD CITIES, THEY MIGHT SAY THAT THEY ARE COMITTED AND WILL STAY, BUT THEY'LL PROBABLY LEAVE YOU IN TWO YEARS TOO. So as i understand, Calgary left their previous AHL team becuase they wanted their own, so now they are basically giving it away as i understand the Front office of the quad cities team will not be affiliated w/ Calgary? way to go with that one, wiat in a couple of years when they change their mind again

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also want to thank the Omaha Knights for a great 2 years. Also to let Calgary know that my 2 year old no longer has a team to cheer for. It didn't matter which team was on TV it is all the knights to him now we have to explain wht there are no more knights. We hope the team and coaches enjoy there new home and best of luck.

You will be missed in Omaha.

http://www.themark.org/' target="_blank">This[/post] is where they're supposed to play. Looks like a very nice facility.

Speaking as someone that's had season tickets for Mallards hockey for 10 years, I can assure you that is extremely nice. I would think it's on par with quite a few of the not-so-brand-new arenas. The only additions that need to be made are to the ice surface, and to the locker rooms. This past season, LED ribbon boards were added along the second deck. It should be able to seat about 9,400 or so, after the ice is expanded. It's also located in a nice area. The first picture, in the link I posted above, is the sidewalk from the parking lot into the front entrance of The Mark.

I hope that you fans in the Quad Cities don't grow too attached to your new team. As you have seen in other posts, the Flames have outright lied to all the fans here in Omaha, telling us that they were staying for another year. I see that your previous team had attendance the last couple of years in the 3200 per game range with ticket prices in the mid-teens. Hmmm, less fans who are used to paying less money than we are. Someone help me out here, how is this a good decision. No offense meant to the people in the Quad Cities. But, I just don't get it. :huh::blink:

P.S. Thanks for the knife in the back, Calgary. Appreciate it.

I hope that you fans in the Quad Cities don't grow too attached to your new team. As you have seen in other posts, the Flames have outright lied to all the fans here in Omaha, telling us that they were staying for another year. I see that your previous team had attendance the last couple of years in the 3200 per game range with ticket prices in the mid-teens. Hmmm, less fans who are used to paying less money than we are. Someone help me out here, how is this a good decision. No offense meant to the people in the Quad Cities. But, I just don't get it. :huh::blink:

P.S. Thanks for the knife in the back, Calgary. Appreciate it.

Many of the fans that used to come to the games got tired of the UHL. It's a Mickey Mouse league. Also, the former owner/President/GM ran alot of fans off with the way he did business.

Many of the fans that used to come to the games got tired of the UHL. It's a Mickey Mouse league. Also, the former owner/President/GM ran alot of fans off with the way he did business.

Well, if your fans don't come out of the woodwork right away, say goodbye to your team. We were starting to see an increase in fan support here. We had the fourth best attendance of the sixteen teams for the first round of the playoffs. Things were looking as if they were going the right direction here and "Poof" no more team. I would not expect any better business practices out of the Calgary Flames front office than your former owner showed you. I mean no ill will to the fans there. But, you have to understand how this feels to our fans. Good luck to ya. We will really miss OUR team.

The Flames and Knights of Ak-Sar-Ben had a pathetic management staff the first year and part of the second year. Since that had been changed, things were looking up. Instead of acknowledging the mistakes that were made coming into Omaha was much of the Flames' doing, they turn it around and act like it is an Omaha 'thing'. The Flames said to Omaha in April, "We are 'committed' to Omaha and to keeping the franchise here." I guess "committed" means something different in Calgary than it does in Omaha. As was said before, Quad Cities beware! I want to add that I thank the players, the coaching staff, the office staff and all those in Omaha that brought us the enjoyment of the Knights. To Calgary, I am truly sorry that you could not keep your word and give it another year. O am most sorry that you cannot keep your word!

I feel for all you dedicated Knights fans. Those of you that post here really loved the team and I think it's a bit of an under-handed move by the Flames to just up and move the Knights like this. It sounded like the future was looking good for the team in Omaha and I'm sorry the Flames didn't give it more of a chance.

Well, if your fans don't come out of the woodwork right away, say goodbye to your team. We were starting to see an increase in fan support here. We had the fourth best attendance of the sixteen teams for the first round of the playoffs. Things were looking as if they were going the right direction here and "Poof" no more team. I would not expect any better business practices out of the Calgary Flames front office than your former owner showed you. I mean no ill will to the fans there. But, you have to understand how this feels to our fans. Good luck to ya. We will really miss OUR team.

The new ownership group is doing all that they can to bring fans back. Season tickets in the lower bowl are $380 for the season. That's lower than some SPHL teams. I look forward to a great season. I hope no one holds a grudge against Quad City, and you're more than welcome into The Mark any time you come out east.

The new ownership group is doing all that they can to bring fans back. Season tickets in the lower bowl are $380 for the season. That's lower than some SPHL teams. I look forward to a great season. I hope no one holds a grudge against Quad City, and you're more than welcome into The Mark any time you come out east.

There's no purpose in Knights fans being angry with Quad City. The business practices of the Calgary Flames management aren't their decision. Besides, the Players and Coaches of the Knights are high in the esteem of Fans. This isn't their doing either, they go where they're told.

Thanks for the invitation. That's a great price for season tickets. Hopefully your new ownership can get a bigger crowd than the Mallards had, or are willing to pay the difference. It's possible that those who stopped coming have found other things to do with their time and money.

There's no way the Flames can make a profit off a low ticket price, unless the crowds swell to double or triple last years number, or the new ownership is willing to make up the difference. In case you haven't noticed, they aren't too taken with the idea of 'building' a fan base.

Good Luck!

You know, by the way I have been asked questions about this whole deal today, you would think that I was on the ownership group. :lol: Everyone I know who use to go to games several years ago, but quit going when the quality of the play started dropping, has been asking me about my seats, if I ever have extra tickets they can buy, etc. You would think I actually knew something! ;) At least I know the attendance will be up for the first part of the first season. Hopefully the team does as well as it did play-wise as the Knights did last year, and keeps those numbers up.

Hoody

Thanks to the knights staff and players for two of the best years of Omaha.

thanks to calgary for destroying the professional hockey market in omaha, i seriously doubt that even if one would decide to come here, no one would go to the games except for the hard core fans because of how this situation was handled by the flames.

I am still split minded and want to wish them good luck, for the players sake but i am finding it very difficult to. Does anybody else know why they were in a hurry to get out of here, they now have to terminate the 5-year lease on the civic, refund all the season ticket holders, default on most of the staff's contracts. They had it good here, partnered with the Knights of Aksarben. I very dissappointed because they made it clear that they knew what they were soming into and ASSURED us that they are comitted and Calgary wasnt anxious to relocate the team. I feel that they took hockey of soem people's lives because if quad citites was getting bored with their team, why wouldn't we. do they think that they are better than us? I just dont know what to do anymore and the way Calgary handled this makes me want to vomit. :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry: To the flames staff(Ken King):bp1939.jpg , mind taking the knife out of my back

bottom line: still like the flames but i feel as if Ken King lied to us and then tried to hide it from the knights staff and omaha as long as he could

what i dont understand is that the 4 mil loss in way below expectations AND the knights of Aksarben, i would think, pick up half the bill, since they own half the team. That would be 2 mil in 2 years for a start-up AHL franchise..........

Expectations don't pay the bills, unfortunately.

Four million dollars, is still a lot of money. Even if the Knights of Ak-sar-ben paid half of the bill.

At the end of the day though, it is *still* a business first. While I certainly feel for Knights fans - the same I did for Jets fans, for Nordiques fans, and even Predators fans (now) if there is not a big enough market for hockey, the team won't stay.

If Quad Cities (where, exactly?) can't support the team, they'll most certainly move again.

Expectations don't pay the bills, unfortunately.

Four million dollars, is still a lot of money. Even if the Knights of Ak-sar-ben paid half of the bill.

At the end of the day though, it is *still* a business first. While I certainly feel for Knights fans - the same I did for Jets fans, for Nordiques fans, and even Predators fans (now) if there is not a big enough market for hockey, the team won't stay.

If Quad Cities (where, exactly?) can't support the team, they'll most certainly move again.

The Quad Cities are right on the border of Illinois and Iowa. Two of the cities are in Illinois, and two are in Iowa. Moline and Rock Island in Illinois; Bettendorf and Davenport in Iowa. It's a metro area of about 400,000 people.

I wonder if Ken King or any from Calgary even approached any Omaha officials about the financial losses? It seems to me there has to be something else to this. Possible Civic closing? What else happened here? How can the management of a NHL team say they were so committed to Omaha then, bolt less than two months later? Did someone in Omaha piss them off? Let's here the real story so we Knights fans can get some kind of truth here.

Weren't the knights supposed to play in the new Qwest Center? wonder if that had anything to do with it.

Also: check this out:

http://www.2khockey.net/downloads/filesyst...%20NHL%20Arenas

Go there, click on Non-NHL Arena goal horns, and find the Quad City Mallards goal horn. You'll find it to be rather unique, like Calgary's horn. tis Big, Red, and pulled straight from a river barge

Weren't the knights supposed to play in the new Qwest Center? wonder if that had anything to do with it.

Also: check this out:

http://www.2khockey.net/downloads/filesystem/index.php?PHPSESSID=6f737e8e6c0c8590794d90ac360891b9&direction=0&order=&directory=Goal%20Horns/-%20NHL%20Arenas' target="_blank">http://www.2khockey.net/downloads/filesyst...%20NHL%20Arenas[/post]

Go there, click on Non-NHL Arena goal horns, and find the Quad City Mallards goal horn. You'll find it to be rather unique, like Calgary's horn. tis Big, Red, and pulled straight from a river barge

The Qwest center already had/has UNO Hockey and Creighton Bluejay basketball. Which, BTW, around here the Bluejays and the Huskers have God like, no pun intended, statis in the local media. This might have played into the Knights demise too.

To the innocent people of Quad Cities:

I pray you look at these posts and realize the folks you have aligned your community with. The Flames management team shames the team they are responsible for. The C of Red is shining with the Red Faces of Ken King, Darryl Sutter and the rest of those who should be embarrassed that put this deal together with you. Look at the release letter from March 2005:

http://www.aksarben.org/assets/documents/p...s%20Release.pdf

See if the comments about the commitment to community that the Flames told us sounds just like what you were told. I pray you do not fall prey to similar circumstances. The Knights name stays in Omaha, as it stands for good, forthrightness, honesty and valor. Something that Ken King and his management team have shown they do not possess.

We get to look at our jerseys, and t-shirts, and sweatshirts that bear our team's name. The worst part about it now is, that the insignia holds the trailing flames on the Knights helmet that reminds us of the Flames club. Whose management told us they were committed to Omaha, and just days later, days later... approached the Knights of Ak-Sar-Ben to repurchase their 50% ownership so they could move the franchise.

The Flames management is there for your money, and nothing more. They do not care about the fans, the community, or anything more than getting into your pockets.

Of course we cannot totally excuse your local QC management, quoting from the QC Times article: "Team owners said the deal came together with relative ease and said the hardest part, aside from keeping the move secret, was the decision to change the team name from Mallards to Flames."

When you are on this side of betrayal, you might be able to understand the feelings the people in Omaha are dealing with. At any rate, enjoy the team while you can, for one day you too will wake up to find that the flame has been doused.

To the innocent people of Quad Cities:

I pray you look at these posts and realize the folks you have aligned your community with. The Flames management team shames the team they are responsible for. The C of Red is shining with the Red Faces of Ken King, Darrell Sutter and the rest of those who should be embarrassed that put this deal together with you. Look at the release letter from March 2005:

http://www.aksarben.org/assets/documents/pdf/AHL%20Press%20Release.pdf' target="_blank">http://www.aksarben.org/assets/documents/p...s%20Release.pdf[/post]

See if the comments about the commitment to community that the Flames told us sounds just like what you were told. I pray you do not fall prey to similar circumstances. The Knights name stays in Omaha, as it stands for good, forthrightness, honesty and valor. Something that Ken King and his management team have shown they do not possess.

We get to look at our jerseys, and t-shirts, and sweatshirts that bear our team's name. The worst part about it now is, that the insignia holds the trailing flames on the Knights helmet that reminds us of the Flames club. Whose management told us they were committed to Omaha, and just days later, days later... approached the Knights of Ak-Sar-Ben to repurchase their 50% ownership so they could move the franchise.

The Flames management is there for your money, and nothing more. They do not care about the fans, the community, or anything more than getting into your pockets.

Of course we cannot totally excuse your local QC management, quoting from the QC Times article:

Knights fans, I feel your pain, I really do. I wish it had worked in Omaha, but from the numbers I saw coming out of the city, it just seemed to me that the city wasn't going to embrace hockey. I didn't agree with the Flames when they decided to move to Nebraska, because hockey in Nebraska is a punchline, not a business venture. I don't understand why they moved from Omaha to what appears to be another variaton of Omaha except with a nicer building... if they were going to move the team (They did not plan to, they were actively recruited, by a number of cities, and were given what I can only assume is a sweetheart deal).

HOWEVER, when I heard that a Canadian city was also in the mix, I cannot help but wonder why that city wasn't chosen regardless of what Quad City promised; THAT little nugget is a little confusing to me. If you wanted to move the team to say, Red Deer or Lethbridge or Saskatoon or something, I could understand. But bailing on Omaha for, no disrespect Quad Cities, ANOTHER Omaha? That doesn't make sense to me.

BRING BACK THE ST JOHN FLAMES!!!

From what we have heard, the Quad Cities have basically taken all financial responsibility for the arena, ticket sales etc. They are paying a franchise fee, and all Calgary has to do is pay salaries for the players, buy equipment, and pay for travel back and forth for called up players.

Omaha was a 50% owner. That means Calgary had to pay 50%, and had to deal with any loses, just as they would have profited from any gains. Flames Management expected a profit immediately and didn't get it. With Quad City paying a franchise fee, and swallowing any loses that might occur in ticket sales, and arena upkeep, the Flames have nothing to lose, and merchandise $$ to gain.

It may be that the other cities who were interested couldn't offer to do the same. They may have been willing to partner, but not able to carry all expense for local operations.

Archived