Knights Leaving Omaha?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with Redslinger, I love the jersey and the logo. How could you work in the black, gold, and red into a Mallard duck?

The partnership between Calgary and Omaha is too good to give up on so soon! The momentum is moving in the right direction. When this has all (God willing) blown over next week, we can work to make the 2007-08 season one of unsurpassed success in the AHL. The office staff, the Boosters, and the fan base is energized and ready to move full steam ahead to bring in the numbers to make the decision to stay in Omaha, the best one!

My friends greet me by saying simply,

The "We support the Knights Rally" went well. About 30 to 40 Knights fans gathered at 72nd. and Dodge in an attemp to show the Flames and the Knights of Aksarben organizations just how much we want the Flames and the AHL to stay in our City. Fox 42 was there and aired a story about it on the 9:00 P.M. sports. The story told of how the Knights may be moving to the Quad Cities. The fans, some holding signs and hockey sticks felt that there is now a good fan base and it really is starting to grow. The camera showed the fans chanting "Lets Stay Knight". as many cars in the background honked. They quoted Ren Smith as saying that an offer has been made, but nothing has been determined as of yet.

When the anchor woman cut back in after the story was over she said " Now those are some true fans". I was glad I went.

Some nice comments from a Rampage fan wrt the Knights POTENTIAL move:

That is totally freakin' retarded!! To tell you the truth I absolutely hated the Omaha Knights because they are a rival team in San Antonio's division but I would never wish anything close to this. The Knights were a classy organization and they will be surely missed. I think I speak for every Rampage fan in and around the San Antonio area that we wish the best on the Calgary Flames organization and hope that you guys in Omaha get a good NHL affiliate that is willing and able to spend some time to have an AHL franchise team put back into Omaha.

http://www.ahlboards.com/forum/showthread....89465#post89465

I guess Omaha was a one night stand to the flames. Good luck in the Quad cities I'm sure alot of the Mallard fans will just run right over to get tickets. Knowing that they too could be left without any Hockey in town after the Knights leave town two years later.

We should have seen this coming down the road when they did not resign players at the end of the season.

Hey by the way how many fortune 500 companys do the Quad Cities have.

Bad move Flames you may have just put Omaha out of the pro Hockey Game Forever.

Thanks to the Players for Two great years

Companies with major operations in, around, or near the QCs (within the arena's service range, and you will recognize some of these)

John Deere & Co. (Headquarters, Combine Works, Tractor works, etc)

Caterpillar Inc (engine works in Davenport)

U.S. Army's Rock Island Arsenal (Large Military Installation with many Civilian jobs)

National Railroad Equipment (Locomotive restoration/scrapping in Silvis)

Sterling Steel Mills (Steel Mill in Sterling, IL)

LaFarge USA (offices and facilities in Muscatine and Bettendorf)

Alcoa (Aluminum Mill in Bettendorf)

KONE (Elevator Factory and North American Offices in Moline, 2 blocks from the MARK)

Von Maur (Offices and Distribution Center in Davenport)

IBM (Campus/factory in Moline)

Lee Enterprises (Newspaper/Media company, based in Davenport)

Numerous Farm Implement companies, including International Harvester, Killbros, GEHL, among others, either in the QCs or in the towns surrounding them

Wal-Mart Distribution Center in Sterling, IL, as well as the WAHL Clipper Corporation's factory and main offices, AND a Wayne Dalton Garage Door Factory.

Bandag, HNI office furniture, and a Heinz plant are in Muscatine, IA.

Oscar Mayer plant in Davenport

Union Tank Car Co. in Muscatine.

We also have had a bunch of fans from Dubuque and Clinton, Iowa, which opens up the industries of Archer-Daniels-Midland's large Corn Processing plant, Lyondell Chemical Plant, DuPont plant in Camanche, IA, NestlePurina Pet food Mill, the Alliant Energy Power Plant (coal-fired), the Exelon Nuclear Power Plant in Illinois, the Mid-American backup power plant, also in Cordova, IL, 3M's Scotch and Duct tape factory in Cordova, the Deere Tractor Works in Dubuque, Generac generator factory in Maquoketa and the Family Dollar distribution center, Eagle Window and Door in Dubuque, McGraw-Hill school books, Quebecor World Printing, among others.

The BNSF Railroad Yards in Galesburg and Burlington, the PPG factory in Burlington, the Guardian Glass Mill in DeWitt, IA....I could go all night...There is industry to support the team, all they gotta do is win, and advertise, and those 9,000+ crowds will return.

Also, the Quad Cities is home to a small chain of ice cream stores called Whitey's Ice Cream. Only in the Quad Cities can you say "I'm goin over to Whitey's" and no one thinks of it as a racial term. Also, at one time, Only in the QCs could you call someone who you could see across the river, and it was long distance, but call someone 20 miles away and it's a local call!

Plus, Wasn't the AHL team supposed to play at the 14-15,000 Seat Qwest Center and not the 6,700 Seat Omaha Civic Center?

the MARK's Ice surface is EXPANDABLE. When the original sheet was purchased back in the 90's, it was purchased 200x85, but some boards were removed to resemble the Colonial Hockey League's (at the time) official ice surface of 185x83 1/2 Then when the United Hockey League took over, there wasn't an official surface ever again, so the Mark's surface has been small ever since, since they just kept the same size. Assuming that they didn't throw away the extra boards and glass, and didn't throw out the extra coolant tubing, the Expansion would NOT be as expensive as everyone thinks. Move back a couple rows on each side, and plop it down. Plus, Transportation costs are going to be a lot lower. Des Moines, Rockford, Peoria, Chicago, and even Milwaukee and Grand Rapids.

just an FYI to all of those who are not from omaha, Tom Shattel is not a very reliable or good sports writer. I know that at 9/10 of the sports fans in omaha would not be upset if got fired and left town, what i am amazed at is how people are actually listening to him. Once this boils down, i have a feeling that Shattel will need to come out with an apology to everybody he has upset (knights, flames, city of omaha, quad cities)

Calgary Fans, Omaha Fans, come on over to our fan-run boards and join the discussion

www.hockeymayhem.com

We're Mallards/UHL Fans and I, personally, am excited at the thought of the AHL coming to the Quad Cities (and to get away from the sinking ship known as the UHL) Formerly mallardsmayhem.com but it's changing over in June.

Calgary Fans, Omaha Fans, come on over to our fan-run boards and join the discussion

www.hockeymayhem.com

We're Mallards/UHL Fans and I, personally, am excited at the thought of the AHL coming to the Quad Cities (and to get away from the sinking ship known as the UHL) Formerly mallardsmayhem.com but it's changing over in June.

We were excited too. It's a thrilling prospect for hockey fans. I hope you'll understand if Knights fans aren't rejoicing at the prospect of losing our AHL team, in order for the Quad cities to gain one.

:(

I completely understand your stance. Keep in mind, though, that the QCs have been trying to get an AHL team for the past 5-6 years. This is a little more hopeful than a League that has been run worse than Bettman's NHL (if that's possible).

I understand your stance as well. I'm all for you having an AHL team if you want one, I just wish it didn't have to be ours! You won't have the uncertainty of the shrinking UHL to worry about with an AHL team. It's wonderful hockey, very exciting play. You'll love it.

I understand your stance as well. I'm all for you having an AHL team if you want one, I just wish it didn't have to be ours! You won't have the uncertainty of the shrinking UHL to worry about with an AHL team. It's wonderful hockey, very exciting play. You'll love it.

Ditto. For the QC folks out there please understand its nothing against the hockey fans in the QCs or the arena or the local economy, etc. I'm sure the comments you have seen that have a "negative" tone to them are nothing more than frustrated Knights fans. I pass through the QCs every time I drive back to Michigan and it's a nice area and from what I have seen on the web your arena is pretty nice too.

You have to understand that there are a lot of frustrated Knights fans out there (me included). It's a tough pill to swallow when your told the team isn't even considering a move and then this. And to make matters worse this whole drama has dragged on causing the Knights fans nothing but angst.

If you get the team...good for you guys. As I said before its a great group of players and coaching staff. What's tough for us is over the past 2 yrs a lot of us have grown to love this team and the brand of hockey they brought to Omaha. Everything re: the Knights was on a positive trend. Attendance was up while the other teams were losing fans to the Knights, the team made the playoffs for the first time and most of us could see the momentum carrying into the third season. And then this. Its just sucks the life out of you. And the worst part, if the Knights do leave, is the Knights fans really don't have anything to fall back to for hockey. Our local cable provider doesn't carry the O network or Vs. or whatever the heck the channel is called that carries the NHL and going back to the Lancers or UNO Mavs just can't happen. Unfortunately way too many Mavs fans have wished for the Knights demise since day one and they have been awfully vocal about it'and they are actually celebrating the Knights upcoming move so there isn't a chance in heck that I will ever contribute another cent to the UNO hockey program. As for the Lancers, it's a class organization, with a good group of kids but the only way I can compare it is to driving a car. You see, when I was in graduate school I had a nice little Nissan Sentra. A good, reliable car, but nothing fancy. After graduating I bough myself a BMW 3 series. It was fast, agile, and a truly fun car to drive. It's kind of the same thing with the Lancers and the Knights. Sure you could "downsize" but would you really want to? Unfortunately if the Knights do leave I suspect a good many of us will be left with no comparable hockey alternative and unfortunately I'm not sure our chances of landing another AHL team are very good.

All I can say is this sucks. I hope the Knights stay and the QCs get their own (different) AHL team.

According to one of my sources at HockeyMayhem.com...

QC Hockey

1201 River Drive

Moline, Illinois 61265

United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)

Domain Name: QCFLAMES.COM

Created on: 18-May-07

Expires on: 18-May-09

Last Updated on:

Administrative Contact:

Taylor, Tim ttaylor@qcmallards.com

QC Hockey

1201 River Drive

Moline, Illinois 61265

United States

(309) 764-7825 Fax -- (309) 764-7858

Technical Contact:

Taylor, Tim ttaylor@qcmallards.com

QC Hockey

1201 River Drive

Moline, Illinois 61265

United States

(309) 764-7825 Fax -- (309) 764-7858

WHUT??? QC FLAMES???? NO! Keep it the Mallards, dammit!

Yea, and supposedly Edmonton's been thrown into the mix of ideas, too this offseason...So we may not be fellow AHL fans, moreso Rivals due what may be an Alberta farm-team showdown stemming from the EDM/CGY battles.

I think Edmonton is already signed up with Springfield? They just signed Geoff Ward as the new coach.

Hoody

I think Edmonton is already signed up with Springfield? They just signed Geoff Ward as the new coach.

Hoody

Yeah that's right! :D Springfield Falcons are the Oilers affiliate! I've been waiting for one for years now. It finally happened this year. Let's just say that was one of the best news I've heard throughout the whole season. I'm surprised by Ward being our coach but meh, he did an ok job before with the Roadrunners right?

So any news about what's happening? I hope the Knights stay, I can't wait til our Falcons play them ;)

I was really looking forward to next year. My father and I had just purchased season tickets, on the glass. This news has hit us like a ton of bricks. I can only hope that all the rumors are not true. I am still having trouble understanding how the team would be better off in the Quad Cities. Support and attendance in Omaha was on the upswing and I don't think the Quad Cities can even match what we have managed the last couple years. If Calgary makes this move, I hope the Quad Cities do not get too attached to the team as some of us here have. I understand that the Flames have a business to run. However, I can't see the logic of starting all over in a place that more than likely cannot support the team any better than us. Oh well, if we lose them it will be a sad day for Omaha. :(

My 75 year-old mother just had put in an order for season tickets to go with me next year, too. We just spent several hundred dollars on shirts, Knights gear and jerseys, mine was personalized with Germyn's name and number. Mom was planning to have her jersey personalized with McElhinney as soon as they started taking personalization orders again.

I am grateful to the Flames for bringing the franchise to Omaha. I am also disappointed at the emotional hop-scotch that is being played across the country. To come in and get a following, and a give a commitment to give it another year, then just turn and walk away - hurts.

I pray that something happens to stop this whole nightmare from going through. The Flames had a five-year lease on the Civic, if they are stuck paying that and going to the Quad Cities where they currently draw 3,200 fans with $7 and $10 tickets, how can this make financial sense?

I am hoping this is just a wake up call to the Omaha club and fans to energize and show what we can do to turn things around for our parent club! If Calgary gives us another year, I am personally going to work my tail off all summer and next season to get folks fired up about the Knights!

what i dont understand is that the 4 mil loss in way below expectations AND the knights of Aksarben, i would think, pick up half the bill, since they own half the team. That would be 2 mil in 2 years for a start-up AHL franchise..........REALLY GOOD. Clearly not a financial problem with omaha. The quad cities must be making an incredible offer, although i think they would still lose just as much if not more. As i have said before, i refuse to believe Tom Shattel and his evil works. As far as im concerned, they are planning on staying here, until i hear otherwise FROM THEM, that is my stance.

I too, am very disappointed to hear the Knights may be leaving, like many others here. Omaha has a very long pro hockey tradition with the Knights. Gordie Howe played his first year of pro hockey here. Fred Shero was an Omaha Knights coach. We had a very long relationship with the New York Rangers and had some very successful years in the old CHL. When the Flames first started in Atlanta, we were their first farm team. It goes on and on...so to hear we might be loosing a team again, it's a tough thing to have happen. When the Lancers started here (a junior A team), the did not win a game in their first season, only a few hundred people would show up and they stayed and made small strides every year to build what they have now. Calgary, give Omaha a chance here. Omaha is a hockey town, a pro hockey town. We want the Knights, give us a chance to prove it.

Just heard Rob Kerr report on the Fan 960 that the Flames have called a press conference for tomorrow where it's expected they'll announce the plans to move the Knights to Quad Cities. I caught something that didn't quite make sense about how the arena is 15 feet shorter than AHL regulations which means something, I'm not sure... either way it appears the Omaha Experiment has indeed failed, which is too bad, but not altogether unexpected... BRING BACK THE CANADIAN TEAMS HAVING ALL THEIR AHL CLUBS IN THE MARITIMES.

PEI SENATORS

FREDERICTON CANADIANS

ST JOHNS MAPLE LEAFS

ST JOHN FLAMES

CAPE BRETON OILERS

Vancouver's escapes me; but the battles between the Baby Habs and Baby Flames were absolutely epic ten years ago (I lived in Fredericton for a bit)

The Knights are moved to the Quad Cities area. This 2007-2008 season. I wish the player good luck, the coach's the best. I enjoyed watching the guys at the Civic. I will miss the figths they had with the other teams.GOOD LUCK to everyone who was on the Omaha AK-SAR-BEN Knights team. :excl::excl::excl:

To the Omaha Aksarben Knights players, coaches, and staff: Thanks for the memories!

To the Flames Management: How do you look at yourself in the mirror each morning after you lied to us about another year? :angry:

I would also like to thank the players, coaches and staff in Omaha and I could not be more disappointed in the Flames Management. I am totally disgusted. I hope all the fans here in Omaha let them know just how we feel. :angry:

Archived