Knights Make Calder Cup Playoffs!

No joy in Omaha tonight as the Knight fall to the Stars. I hate game 6 series! Flames bow out and now the Knights do the same both in 6 games. Score not real of game. Knights pulled goalie late and they got 2.

Yeah, it wasn't quite a 5-2 game... 3-2 late with two goals on the EN. Boyd & Hambly with goals for the good guys. Too bad - Omaha went 0/4 on the PP, could have been a difference maker...

But, they're a very young team and things are looking good for them next year - and for the Flames in a couple years, I hope! :)

On the bright side, the Knights were the youngest team in the AHL and still won their division. There's a good group down there. There may not be many/any future NHL superstars but there are certainly some solid future NHLers. That's a huge improvement over the Flames developmental system before Sutter. With guys like Ryder, Keetley, Irving, Watt, etc possibly ready for the AHL next season, the future may be even brighter.

On the bright side, the Knights were the youngest team in the AHL and still won their division. There's a good group down there. There may not be many/any future NHL superstars but there are certainly some solid future NHLers. That's a huge improvement over the Flames developmental system before Sutter. With guys like Ryder, Keetley, Irving, Watt, etc possibly ready for the AHL next season, the future may be even brighter.

I was wondering about Keetly as well, but I do believe he has one more year of JR eligability does he not? The year after will likely see a Irving/Keetly tandem in the AHL level. How's that for drafting goaltenders!? :)

I was wondering about Keetly as well, but I do believe he has one more year of JR eligability does he not? The year after will likely see a Irving/Keetly tandem in the AHL level. How's that for drafting goaltenders!? :)

Yeah, I think you're right about Keetley.

Looking at what Sutter has done with the goaltending is quite remarkable. For next season, either Krahn or McElihenny(I'll have to learn how to spell his name) will probably back up Kipper. If it's Krahn (or a veteran FA) that'll leave McElwhatshisface and likely Irving as his back up in Omaha while Keetley completes Junior. The year after McElguyingoal will be Kipper's back up while Irving starts in Omaha with Keetley as his back up. The Flames should be (note the "should") set in goal for years if these guys are handled correctly.

Keetley turned 21 (a few days ago actually) so he should be eligible to play in the "A" next year, shouldn't he?

I think Irving still has a year (at least) before he's eligible.

Ok I got the two ages mixed up. Then yes it will be the other way around for the Knights next season. Irving will play another year of WHL and Keetley will likely begin his pro career in Omaha.

Ok I got the two ages mixed up. Then yes it will be the other way around for the Knights next season. Irving will play another year of WHL and Keetley will likely begin his pro career in Omaha.

Didn't Irving get called up to the Knights Roster when Krahn was called up to the Flames roster? If you look on thier site they have Irving Krahn and McElhinney as the 3 goalies on the roster.

Didn't Irving get called up to the Knights Roster when Krahn was called up to the Flames roster? If you look on thier site they have Irving Krahn and McElhinney as the 3 goalies on the roster.

Yep but Irving will still be eligable to play his final JR year if I am not mistaken. He will be at Flames camp this fall, but Sutter never hangs on to players who still have a year of Junior left (ie Phaneuf). Keetley on the other hand is currently playing is final season of JR. Therefore he will either be with the Knights or Las Vegas next season, and I can't see him playing in the ECHL.

Archived