Anticipating the Knights

I went to both games that the Knights played in Winnipeg last season and three players that stood out for me were Nystrom, Richie Regehr and Krahn. I don't think any of them will crack the Flames line up as a regular this season so I'm looking forward to seeing them again in February. It may not be the NHL but I find it interesting to watch the Flames of the future.

You're probably looking at a Calder Cup contending team.

Assuming Taratukhin and Krahn do not make the Calgary Flames opening day roster, the lines could look like this...

Chucko - Boyd - Cracknell

Dustin Boyd looks NHL bound and it's only a matter of time for him. For both Chucko and Cracknell though, this is an important season as they've both got to create identities for themselves. Chucko needs to get back to his scoring ways after getting stuck on a stacked US College team where he was demoted to a checking line role before getting injured for the season. He's going to get plenty of opportunities to shine offensively with the Knights. Cracknell is a kid who has a big league slap shot but he needs to prove he's got an overall game. He finished second in WHL scoring last season just beating Dustin Boyd who finished fourth. Overall, this is a good looking line. Boyd is the playmaker/passer. Cracknell is the one-timer/shooter. Chucko is the power forward infront of the net creating screens and picking up the garbage.

Nystrom - Ryder - Maki

Tomi Maki might be the weakest link on this team. The Flames have been waiting for him to blossom for seemingly forever and he hasn't responded. He was once the best offensive prospect coming out of Finland but now he may find himself playing his final pro-season if he doesn't pick up his game. Someone like Germyn can bump him off the second line. Daniel Ryder was an exciting player in Juniors and he'll likely play a lot of offensive minutes for the Knights. Nystrom is NHL ready and would probably see 5 to 20 NHL games this season depending on injuries.

Prust - Taratukhin - Germyn

Prust was disappointing last season but for him it's a matter of putting on some muscle so he can play his game effectively. He was too young and too weak last season. I assume he's worked-out over the summer and his body has grown one year stronger. Taratukhin makes his way to North America FINALLY. Unfortunately, the Flames are too stacked and Taratukhin may start the season in the minors. He's a solid two-way player and has a lot of untapped potential. Carson Germyn was rewarded with 2-NHL games for the Flames last season and he didn't look out of place. He's not the biggest guy in the world but I liked his speed, work ethic, and attitude on the ice. With his speed alone, he's going to be a good player in the AHL and is a good role model for the other Knights players.

Donally - Seitsonen - Watt

JD Watt was an important player in the Vancouver Giant's run to the Memorial Cup finals. He's in the mold of a Brandon Prust but with more offensive potential. I'm quite excited to see what he can bring to the Knights. Seitsonen is a big finish kid who's in a similar boat as Tomi Maki. He's suppose to be an offensive player but hasn't put up the numbers. He's a bit slow on his skates and that doesn't bode well for him. If he's not careful, someone like Brett Sutter could come in and take his spot on the team.

x: Sutter, Van Der Gulik, Godard, Cunning

Giordano - Regehr

These guys need no introduction. Both ready for the NHL. I assume Brad Ference will the the Flames 7th Dman so these two will start the season as the Knights top defensive pairing. They'll get more ice-time here to develop into better players while B.Ference gets the press box. Giordano lead the Knights in scoring last season until he was called up to the Flames late last season and hopefully he can continue to build on that and work on limiting his high turnover rates.

Ramholt - Pardy

Adam Pardy is a big kid who'll likely to be a career AHLer. He's a good stay-at-home Dman nonetheless. Ramholt is an energetic hitter and it's going to be exciting to see him play in North America again. Hopefully he doesn't injure himself with his own hitting and continues to mature into an NHL player.

Pelech - Baldwin

Pelech 6'-4", Baldwin 6'-5". Baldwin's got the better wheels but Pelech is meaner. I actually think Baldwin skates really well considering his size. He also moves the puck well and can hold the offensive zone better than the average defenseman. Maybe it's his long reach. I think he's got potential to be a 5th/6th Dman in the NHL someday. Pelech was a former first round pick. While his game doesn't justify his high draft selection, i think he can develop into a decent 5th/6th NHL Dman in the future. Pelech needs to stay healthy though and that hasn't been easy for him.

x: Palin, Marr

Krahn

McElhinney

Tough luck for Krahn but i think Noodles is going to start as the back-up for the Flames. This gives Krahn time to pick-up where he left off last season where he dominated the AHL. McElhinney was good in the beginning of last season when Krahn wasn't performing well but McElhinney's potential is peaked as an AHL goalie. If all goes well, Krahn will start nearly every game for the Knights. I'll say the following with all respects to Krahn, hopefully he never sees 1-single game in the NHL this season because the Flames goaltenders will stay 100% healthy! sidenote: i thought Matt Keetley was a star performer for the Medicine Hat Tigers last season and it's only a matter of time before he becomes the starting goalie for the Knights.

x: Keetley, Lelande

Watt, Sutter, Pelech, Baldwin, and Lalande are all 19 and I'm pretty sure that means they have to be sent back to junior if they don't make the big club. Keetley is also probably going to return to Medicine Hat.

Ryder to. He turns 20 in january. If I am not mistaken you can not play AHL if you are under 20 and not European, maybe even college kids. Not sure about the last one. CHL players must wait on their 20th birthday.

Watt, Sutter, Pelech, Baldwin, and Lalande are all 19 and I'm pretty sure that means they have to be sent back to junior if they don't make the big club. Keetley is also probably going to return to Medicine Hat.

Ryder to. He turns 20 in january. If I am not mistaken you can not play AHL if you are under 20 and not European, maybe even college kids. Not sure about the last one. CHL players must wait on their 20th birthday.

I missed Ryder on Peeps' list. Yeah, he'll be back in the OHL, and he'll probably play at the WJCs.

College kids can't go back to school once they've signed a pro contract. They can be sent to the AHL. An OHL team (Saginaw Spirit) is trying to get Boston to send Phil Kessel to them instead of the AHL if he doesn't make the Bruins.

College kids can't go back to school once they've signed a pro contract. They can be sent to the AHL. An OHL team (Saginaw Spirit) is trying to get Boston to send Phil Kessel to them instead of the AHL if he doesn't make the Bruins.

Ok, thanks for the info.

I found out that Rangers prospect Marc Staal played in the AHL-playoffs last year. He is not 20 yet, how could he do that?

My theory is that if his CHL-team is done for the season (Sudbury in this case) he can play in the AHL for the rest of that season. Am I correct?

My theory is that if his CHL-team is done for the season (Sudbury in this case) he can play in the AHL for the rest of that season. Am I correct?

That makes sense to me, but I can't find anything to confirm it.

Anyway, this has gone slightly off topic. Let's get back to talking about the Knights.

Even without the players who are still junior-eligible, this looks like a dangerous team. Once Ryder et al make it to Omaha (probably in 07/08), they'll be even better.

That makes sense to me, but I can't find anything to confirm it.

Anyway, this has gone slightly off topic. Let's get back to talking about the Knights.

Even without the players who are still junior-eligible, this looks like a dangerous team. Once Ryder et al make it to Omaha (probably in 07/08), they'll be even better.

yeah they can... once the CHL team is eliminated from teh playoffs or dont make the playoffs and the regular season is done CHL players can be called up to the NHL or AHL... getzlaf did it for anaheim i believe

I mostly agree with what People said, other than that guys like Sutter and Ryder have already been sent back to their junior clubs for one more year.

Taratukin will mostly likely wind up on one of the top 2 lines and other than that the teams looks better. Just by adding Boyd, Chucko, Taratukin, Setisonen, and Cracknell their offence should improve quite a bit. Combine that with the goaltening and defence they had last year they should move up the standings rapidly.

Going back to the Peoples line up for Omaha this year......

I need to know how Moss isn't part of any lines?? Do you have him pegged for the big club? Because I dont see him getting sent to Vegas. He's gotta be at least on the first or second line after his performance last year.

Going back to the Peoples line up for Omaha this year......

I need to know how Moss isn't part of any lines??  Do you have him pegged for the big club?  Because I dont see him getting sent to Vegas.  He's gotta be at least on the first or second line after his performance last year.

Ryder and Watt were returned to their junior clubs so I'm sure that Moss will be playing in Omaha.

Even with them being sent down...I can't believe that he wouldn't have been a part of those lines.  Maybe I'm just not seeing something in his game that people don't think more highly of him.

Before training camp Moss was regarded by Sutter as one of the prospects that should be ready for the NHL and could challenge for a job. I have no idea how he is doing in camp, and I really don't expect him to make the Flames so a spot in Omaha was pretty much a lock in for him.

Thats what I kept hearing as well..and after watching him play in a few games last year in Omaha, he looked as if he might be a presence with the Flames this year. Another year down in Omaha won't hurt. It'll be interesting to see if they ship him somewhere else or re=sign him since he's only signed through this year.

They still have tryouts though no? They can't have three goalies that's for sure.

I'm surprised Keetley wasn't sent back to junior. He is old enough to play minor pro, but young enough to play one more year in the WHL. Unless a deal is made involving Krahn or McElhinney, I'm sure Keetley to Omaha is just a temporary assignment, and he'll be going to Vegas or possibly even back to Medicine Hat.

They still have tryouts though no? They can't have three goalies that's for sure.

I'm surprised Keetley wasn't sent back to junior. He is old enough to play minor pro, but young enough to play one more year in the WHL. Unless a deal is made involving Krahn or McElhinney, I'm sure Keetley to Omaha is just a temporary assignment, and he'll be going to Vegas or possibly even back to Medicine Hat.

Yeah, I think it's just so Keetley can go through a professional training camp to see the level of competition. I'm sure he'll end up back in junior for his final year.

Thats what I kept hearing as well..and after watching him play in a few games last year in Omaha, he looked as if he might be a presence with the Flames this year.  Another year down in Omaha won't hurt.  It'll be interesting to see if they ship him somewhere else or re=sign him since he's only signed through this year.

I watched every game that Moss played in Omaha last year. The kid's got the heart to play with the Flames. I've never seen anyone with a work ethic like Moss. He's out there to do his job and knows that everything he's got is what he's going to give out on the ice. Throw in a couple of goals and an assist on the night and you've got some real talent there.

If Calgary doesn't call him up this year, I'll be very disappointed. Seeing as how he's signed through this year, I think if they don't call him up, another NHL team will pick up his contract and he'll be full pro next year for someone else.

Archived