24-25 Training Camp

conundrumed

1 hour ago, rocketdoctor said:

Cooley is a blast in an interview.  Breath of fresh air from the usual stuff they are taught to say.

You'd think he's Russian.

I enjoyed his SJ quip. Something like, "You lose 1-0, put up a .960 sv %age...nobody cares. It doesn't matter".

Interesting moves by Conroy. Definitely taking some swings, can't fault him. Where were we headed regardless? Might as well take some swings with Mantha, Barrie and Frk. No point in trying to make big splash signings currently. Depth and competition is never a bad thing.

9 hours ago, JTech780 said:

New training camp groups. Interesting that they separated Huberdeau and Mantha, I thought they wanted to work on their chemistry. 

Checking boxes for Mantha.  Backlund, Coleman, Zary, Coronato there as well.  Can he fit in other roles?  Is he anything without passes from Huberdeau?  I would want to know.

11 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Are you talking about his snipe or about his checkered past?  I won't repeat what I read, it was just last year.

Let's just say we have 2 ex-Wings draft picks in Mantha and Frk.

Completely different styles, highly skilled, but both the same issue.

Neither can rake their Satoshi Nakamoto into one pile so it's all together.

Pospisil is DTD

Bean is DTD 

Coronato is DTD

Weegar maintenance day

I am guessing that group one will be playing tomorrow vs Vancouver, or at least most of group one.

I wonder if Zary skating with the AHL group is a bit of wake up call, that maybe he needs to step it up in camp.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I wonder if Zary skating with the AHL group is a bit of wake up call, that maybe he needs to step it up in camp.

Maybe?  I didn't see him needing a shake up, unless it was during practice.  Honzek on a line with Kadri is consistent with his performance to date.  Keep testing him.  See how he does.  Rooney at C shows how shallow our C depth is.  No Pospisil and we needed to put Sharky back at C.  Morton and Kirkland have been the only other C's to deserve a 2nd look.  Lipinski was good on the dot last game IIRC.  But he is AHL bound for sure.  

It's time. Camp starts with 64. aka way too many.

Nice to keep the dmen around for an extended look.

Brzustewicz getting solid reviews from the players. Good to see actual D prospects. 4 goalies all having good camps. All 4 will be fighting for starts between the 2 teams.

Morton and Ignatyev both looking like savvy signings. Free depth where not much existed, gotta like it.

Hopefully Parekh can't get back in Saginaw's roster tonight. For purely selfish reasons.

Nice to have him on board for guiding him.

First camps are pretty overwhelming for 99% of 18yos. They're generally in over their heads. Even the worst 4th line NHLer is waaay savvier than a kid. For now, of course.

20 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Pospisil is DTD

Bean is DTD 

Coronato is DTD

Weegar maintenance day

I am guessing that group one will be playing tomorrow vs Vancouver, or at least most of group one.

That first group is a fun look. Not liking the incessant bumps and bruises that players need to mend.

Kadri left the ice after running into Coleman, but sounds like he should be okay.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Hans Solo, Bru and Gru getting good long looks in camp. I don't hate that.

Of the rookies and (upcoming) sophomore AHL players, Bru and Grush have been the best.  I would even suggest that Bru has made a case for 1st callup.  It's gonna be a numbers game come the end of camp.  Too many D need waivers.

Obvious top 5:

Andersson, Bahl, Bean, Miromanov, Weegar

Next up, but depends on waivers:

Pachal, Solo, Brz, Grush, Barrie, Hanley, Tinordi

Still standing:

Kuznetsov

Just waived:

Aspirot

6 minutes ago, The_Tribal Chief said:

Good first Only Problem we seemed to Relax and possibly not follow that system the later half of that period

Tidy first period.  It was a shifting in momentum at times, but a lot of zone time was due to poor Flames defensive play.  Missed passes, lazy clearing, etc.  The Flames continue to be good at O zone pressure.  It's where we dominate most games.