Matvei Gridin 2024 1st Round Pick 28th Overall

Griffin is committed to go the University of Michigan, but was just selected 1st overall in the CHL import draft by Val D’Or. 

It will interesting to see what path he chooses. I think CHL is probably the better path for him.

So, this question may be best answered by JTech....

Where he is from Russia, and was playing in a USA league, but was selected in the import draft by the CHL,

what age does he have to be to play in the AHL?  I don't mean the end of the season once CHL playoffs (his team) is done.

I mean be able to play the entire season in the AHL.

I know the rules are somewhat funky with non-Canadian kids that start in the USA.

19 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

So, this question may be best answered by JTech....

Where he is from Russia, and was playing in a USA league, but was selected in the import draft by the CHL,

what age does he have to be to play in the AHL?  I don't mean the end of the season once CHL playoffs (his team) is done.

I mean be able to play the entire season in the AHL.

I know the rules are somewhat funky with non-Canadian kids that start in the USA.

I don’t think USHL and AHL have the same agreement in place that the CHL and AHL do, so I believe he could play in the AHL this year.

That being said he isn’t ready for that, and it would be a mistake IMO.

He could play in the AHL this year if the Flames wanted him to as he is 18 years old. Have to be 18 or older by September 15th in order to be eligible to play in the AHL, the agreement in place is between CHL and AHL only.  Would have to sign an ELC of course to be eligible. 

Agree with Jtech it's not a good idea but it is possible within the rules. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

He could play in the AHL this year if the Flames wanted him to as he is 18 years old. Have to be 18 or older by September 15th in order to be eligible to play in the AHL, the agreement in place is between CHL and AHL only.  Would have to sign an ELC of course to be eligible. 

Agree with Jtech it's not a good idea but it is possible within the rules. 

I was merely asking the question because it's one of those things you wonder about for a 18 year old.

If he was ready next year would he be able to play in the AHL.

The guys we have oterwise in the CHL don't have the option.

will I cheerleaded for Russian goalies, and we got a talented Russian goalie, as far as I can see.

Now the development part of it I have no idea lol.    If it wasn't for current situations in Russia I would say leave him there and let him develop, because they have a great goalie development system.   And definitely we've got Vasilevsky, the optimal case, taking 2 more years in Russia after draft, followed by a year in the AHL, before going full time NHL.  and another 2-3 years after that before he was Vezina-class.

Bobrovsky, the most recent Russian goalie sweetheart, similar, 4 years till full time NHL (although undrafted), and a bit after that before he was high calibre.

So....if this guy becomes our saviour, we got 4-5 years of picking top players before he brings back the red mile (no pressure, right?).

And that's why you get these guys early in a rebuild.  hope we get another one in 2025.