GDT FLAMES @ Lightning - Thurs 7 March 2024 @ 5PM MST

22 minutes ago, 420since1974 said:

Great pass by Huberdeau, but an even better goal by Sharangovich.

He had to move his stick 2 feet from left to right to one time that shot at a near 45 degree angle.

Some analysts have looked at his deceptive shot and marvel.  Talking less about the one timers and more about ones off his stick in a hurry on a pass or rush.  Not a wrister so much as a whipper.  It's not straighforward how it's gonna come off the stick.  Not like a snapshot either.  Don't see much of that now.  

What is also interesting is his genesis from a winger to that of a scoring center.  If he gets a step on a D at the d-zone blueline, look out.  

I am interested in what's going on with Mangiapane right now.  Bis bread and butter (pardon the pun) was finding a spot int around the slot and firing it home.  He is doing that more and more, but he's getting robbed.  I don't know if he is placing it differently or he is still plagued by an injury from last year, but something isn't right.  Those goalies all are not that good.  

Kuzmenko interested me tonight.  Not the typical get away from coverage, but actually playing like Kadri by driving the net.  Even though he didn't get a goal, I thought he played well.  Some smart board play.  Not as bad defensively.

11 minutes ago, 420since1974 said:

Rooney's 4th line got caved in on all 3 goals against, but he was the only center to be at 50% on FOs.

What the heck?

So, the fiirst period was rough for Gilbert and as a result he was benched.  That is only part of the story for the 4th line.  The first Tampa goal was Ras and Hanley but the 4th line out.  The 2nd goal was the end of a PK where Backlund and Rooney were finishing the PK.  Weegard actually score the own net goal, since he had his stick on it.

The 4th line, to me, is better at forechecking.  As long as they don't get stuck out there against a top lien, they are ok.  A bit of an adventure getting it out of the zone.  Hunt wasn't bad, but I saw too many mistakes from him.  Not picking on him, just what I noticed about the 4th line.  He gets trust from the coach and some days earns it.  But then in the same game he blows it.  He was given the top line, but then lost it to Kuz or Zary or Pelletier or Pospisil.  A temp.  

My thoughts about the 4th line is meh right now.  Rooney is the best of the three there.  I don't know that we have better options on the farm, but two guys are out short term, who play top 6 roles.  And Greer used to be a mainstay there.  Somebody has to sit when the two guys come back.