Who are the 2022/23 Calgary Flames?

travel_dude

This isn't a topic about blowing it up or making trades.

Just trying to figure out what this team is trying to be.

Whatever it is, it's not readily apparent.

Things we do well:

- hurt other teams physically

- make for an exciting game, for the other team

- lose to non-elite goalies and backups

- lose to teams that played the night before

We aren't a get one goal, shut the other team down.  We can;t do that with a 2 goal lead.

We aren't fast break, catch teams standing still.

We don;t have a good PP or a really good PK.

The goalies can win if we score 3 or more.

We don;t put the foot down and score 3 in a row often. 

Does the coach set the identity and we aren't that team?

I don't know, since we don;t really show any kind of identity except maybe fragile and joyless.

fragile...must be italian! | Christmas story leg lamp, Leg lamp, A  christmas story

Ah yes….we’re at this point already, where we have no idea what to make of this team. It’s a different team every game but all the same in the end. I started a post just like this…I’ll answer in both as there are 2 answers to this question 😂 

The Calgary Flames are inconsistent. That is all there is to them. They don’t win consistently, they don’t defend consistently and they don’t have consistent goaltending. Sound like a contender to anyone? 

44 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

We can let this thread die if you want to post in the original thread:

I wasn't able to find this, but I thought there may have been a similar thread.  The 2022/23 version is even more perplexing than the one from 2020/21.  At least they had a COVID excuse for not having one.

It matters not, as we are posing the same question! This team is so frustrating, has been for years!! I honestly couldn’t tell you what iteration they 2022-2023 Flames are! We STILL don’t even have a true #1 even after all the fuss to acquire Markstrom. Those Huberdeau , Weegar and Sutter extensions aren’t looking like prudent moves right now. We are pretty much back to the middle of nowhere. We aren’t bad but we aren’t good enough either….we’ve gotten older and the cupboards are close to bare once again. Isn’t this the definition of insanity???

30 minutes ago, rickross said:

It matters not, as we are posing the same question! This team is so frustrating, has been for years!! I honestly couldn’t tell you what iteration they 2022-2023 Flames are! We STILL don’t even have a true #1 even after all the fuss to acquire Markstrom. Those Huberdeau , Weegar and Sutter extensions aren’t looking like prudent moves right now. We are pretty much back to the middle of nowhere. We aren’t bad but we aren’t good enough either….we’ve gotten older and the cupboards are close to bare once again. Isn’t this the definition of insanity???

The parallel I would draw is that we fired the coach back then.

Personally, I have no issue with the trade and signing.

Older by about a year on one part of the trade.

Kadri doesn't fit where he is, but that's on the coach to find the right spot.

The cupboards aren't really bare, just we have prospects most are not grade A, but that is drafting.

No idea where they stand since we don't use them any time.

Still have first rounders, but need a slide rule to figure out the conditions.

Where we are.  A team stuck in the past.  We hurt other team more than we beat them on the scoreboard.

Skill is frowned upon, since it means you don't play 200 feet.

Yet our 200 foot game is really bad.

Winning depends on scoring first and often enough that we can shut it down and weather the storm.

A 2-0 lead is a recipe for disaster.  Go into a shell that is expose.

Shut down offense and depend on shaky goalies.