GDT - Oilers @ FLAMES - Sat 29 October 2022 - 8pm Start

DirtyDeeds

Just now, DHT said:

I was hoping that they would play Vladar. Marky is always shaky with Oilers.

I think they were trying to get him over his Oilers jinx now instead of waiting until they meet in the playoffs. But so much for playing Vladar once/week. That lasted all of never…

• Like 1

When will the Flames learn that Markstrom cannot beat the Oilers?  That blunder basically turned the whole game, sorry but you cannot go with Marky again with Edmonton, even in the playoffs. If they do, might as well just forfeit the series. This has turned into a psychological battle. Whether they admit it or not, the players don't have the same confidence with Marky against the oilers and they will make mistakes because of it.  I think everyone knows the point I'm trying to make here.  Colorado used their goalie tandem last year in the playoffs to perfection, you don't need to stick with one starter.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, taz89 said:

When will the Flames learn that Markstrom cannot beat the Oilers?  That blunder basically turned the whole game, sorry but you cannot go with Marky again with Edmonton, even in the playoffs. If they do, might as well just forfeit the series. This has turned into a psychological battle. Whether they admit it or not, the players don't have the same confidence with Marky against the oilers and they will make mistakes because of it.  I think everyone knows the point I'm trying to make here.  Colorado used their goalie tandem last year in the playoffs to perfection, you don't need to stick with one starter.

Well, he made 23 quality saves that any goalie would have trouble with.

We lost because we couldn't put them away.

Had a quarter of a PP to end the 1st.

Got a PP in the 2nd but got called for a weak penalty about 15 seconds into it.

42 shots, should have been a winner.  Too much shoveling garbage near the net.

Some nights you need more than 2.

We got a shortie, but they scored on the PP.

Even if it was off Hanifin's stick.

BTW, COL used 2 goalies because the starter got a stick in the eye.

Couldn't play.

That what you have a backup for.

I think the Flames beat the Oilers but they couldn’t beat McDavid and That’s going to happen sometimes with someone of his skill set. 

Thought Markstrom was very good outside the 2nd goal and even then there is only one player is the world who is getting that puck on the net that fast. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I think the Flames beat the Oilers but they couldn’t beat McDavid and That’s going to happen sometimes with someone of his skill set. 

Thought Markstrom was very good outside the 2nd goal and even then there is only one player is the world who is getting that puck on the net that fast. 

The one area I felt we did poorly was turnovers in our end.  Led to extended time in the D-zone.  Way too much pucks bouncing all over the place.  I felt we did good on rushes, just not able to exit with their heavy forecheck. 

It was a game of inches.  The 2nd short-handed chance by Backlund and Lindholm.  Bith players were gassed but chose to play it like we were 5v5.  When they failed to score, they went off the ice, which led to Mange trying to get in position and forcing Hanifin to pick up the man.  Backlund played about a minute 30 prior to that goal.  I get that he saw a chance, but Lindholm maybe should have gone of while Backlund was rushing.

I'm not annoyed at the overall play.  Except for that 2nd goal, we played the Oilers pretty well.  Sometimes you get birned when you try to stop the puck.  McD was all by himself on the boards, so we need to play dump ins like that a bit better.  

14 hours ago, flames for life said:

McDavid’s goal was absolutely on Marky, but the last goal was on the defense.  A bad pass that deflects in front is hard for any goalie!  Marky played a good game, but we beat ourselves with mistakes.

I don't see how he's supposed to play that 2nd goal differently.

He went to play the puck, which is what you do 9/10 times.

He missed it, but it was up pretty high.

McD fired a no look shot and 9/10 times you get time to get set a little more.

I didn't like the goal, but whatever.

Need to score more than 2 goals to beat the top 16 teams most nights.