Take a Stand

kehatch

How many times have you said "I always liked him as a prospect?"  Or maybe you said the opposite.  Was it true?  Or did you unconsciously (or maybe even consciously) make a minor alteration to history to make yourself smell all rosy?  Well, here is your chance to put yourself on record before the season begins.  

Rank the Flames question-mark players in one of the three categories below:

1. Green Highlighter: This player is going to be good for the Flames
  2. Pencil: You can't make up your mind
  3. Red Ink: Nope, not going to do it

A few guidelines

• This is just a fun exercise.  None of us is actually hoping a Flames player is going to crash and burn, and there is always a chance a player exceeds expectation. 
  • Red Ink also doesn't mean a player won't make it to the NHL.  I have Bennett in red ink and he has 300 games played.  But in my judgement he is replacement level or lower and won't develop much beyond that.  
  • This isn't intended for guys that have already developed into top NHL players.  For example, Hanafin and Tkachuk could arguably be on the list.  But they would clearly be in Green so there isn't much point. 
  • An exception might be a question mark like Lucic or Talbot.  I didn't include them in my list, but if you want to go for it. 
  • This also isn't intended as a long term prospect tracker.  This is for players that have some NHL time, or that we expect to make the team and make an impact this season. 
  • A good place to start would be the Flames training camp invites for the young guys on Team Murzyn. Just don't forget Mangiapane as well.  https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/flames-set-to-open-training-camp/c-309075326
  • You can also use my list on the next post as a reference for players to include.  That said, if you think Matt Phillips (for example) is going to make the team and have an impact this season then throw them on.  

If you are interested in putting a little evidence to go with your opinion try this site: http://www.nicetimeonice.com/?game_order=desc&game_type=2&season=2018&team=CGY.  This links to a number of other sites that provides loads of data.  

On 9/13/2019 at 7:09 AM, kehatch said:

Green Highlighter

• Dube
  • Valimaki
  • Andersson
  • Rittich

Pencil

• Kylington
  • Mangiapane
  • Bennett

Red Ink

• Jankowski
  • Gillies
  • Czarnik
  • Quine
  • Lomberg

I made a few changes.  I think Kylington and Mangiapane will make it and Bennett will have a long career in the NHL. 

I moved Rittich up a notch, but this is one I am less sure about.  Can he stay healthy?

On 9/13/2019 at 7:09 AM, kehatch said:

Green Highlighter

• Dube
  • Valimaki
  • Andersson
  • Rittich
  • Mangiapane
  • Kylington

Pencil

• Bennett
  • Gilles
  • Jankowski

Red Ink

• Czarnik
  • Quine
  • Lomberg

I just don't see Czarnik making the cut.  He's fine in limited viewings, but only on offense.

Quine and Lombo are just fringe players.

Bennett is still a question mark for me.  He's had years to become an impact player, but he it just another Kassian right now.

Janko has to do something this year to prove he is moving in the right direction.  His age works against him, but he's only had a few years so far.

Gillies has one year left to prove he can even play at the NHL level, and that means earning the trust at the AHL level and excelling.

Kylington's biggest issue will be earning a spot on the team, over Valimaki.  This season he can raise his stock, but he has to be good enough to eliminate the need for AMac or Stone.  He's looked better as the seson went on, but the pairing he plays on will set him up if there's chemistry.

Rittich is the real deal.  He may never be a 60 game starter, but there are so few that is not a big issue.

Mangiapane has the speed necessary to be NHL.  He's sorta figured out how to play bigger but not get crushed.

Dube is part of the way there.  I have questions, but I expect he will show his stock this year.

Valimaki's injuries are the only things concerning.  He is NHL for sure and will be top 4 soon enough.

Ras is part of the way there now.  Too good for 3rd pair, almost good enough for 22 minutes, top pair, top PP.

He's looked good when you need a stable guy out there in pressure situations.

Archived