A Calgary Flames prospect is a step closer to playing in the upcoming World Junior Championship. Forward Filip Sveningsson has been named to Sweden’s roster for the upcoming Four Nations Cup tournament.

The Flames’ seventh round pick in the 2017 NHL Draft, the 19-year-old Sveningsson moved to pro hockey this season and has gotten off to a great start. In 11 games with IK Oskarshamn in Sweden’s secondary league he has seven goals and 11 points – the leading scorer on what has emerged as one of the league’s top teams.

Sveningsson previously represented Sweden at the Under-17 Hockey Challenge back in 2015-16. National teams usually try out potential World Junior players at precursor tournaments such as the Four Nations Cup. He hasn’t cemented a spot on the Swedish World Junior roster yet, but it’s a step in the right direction.

The Four Nations Cup runs Nov. 5-11 in the Czech Republic.

• 1 month later...
47 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Filip Sveningsson was named to Sweden's Preliminary roster for the WJC today.

We should also have 3 players on Slovakia's roster (Adam Ruzicka, Milos Roman, and Martin Pospisil.)

I have been very curious about Sveningsson, he has shown offensive ability at lower levels, just not sure how it will translate.

19 hours ago, JTech780 said:

We should also have 3 players on Slovakia's roster (Adam Ruzicka, Milos Roman, and Martin Pospisil.)

I have been very curious about Sveningsson, he has shown offensive ability at lower levels, just not sure how it will translate.

I like him too. Don't have a great reason but for some reason he's my favorite under the radar prospect. Great speed and a great release so it's intriguing even if he is only making small strides since he was drafted. 

Archived