Neal's slash on Hellebuyck - More Typical NHL BS

Carty

Neal breaks his stick on Hellebuyck's mask, Haula scores, it's challenged, and the goal stands...   

According to Paul Maurice in his post game presser, after Mathews and McDavid recently had 'goals' called back, a memo went out from the league saying that they were going to let more goalie interference goals go...   

By the same logic, I'm thinking it should now be allowed for a goalie to break his stick on a player while he is 'trying to make a save'...   :lol:

I saw that in real time & multiple replays & am still flabergasteted. I hope you heard the interviews with Wheeler & Helle as well.
Looks like open season on 'tenders.

There was also the incident in Boston where 2 Bruins crashed the net not allowing Allen to regain his net. The zebra used clairvoyance to decide Allen had no intent to get back in there so the goal stood.

I remember old Billy Smith doing the two hander on Gretzky. Even 19th century lumberjacks would have been impressed with his "save attempts". "Hack"stall knew how to mow down players too. You didn't mess with those guys very often. Let the goalies do that again, and I suspect goaltender interference would drop. I don't like seeing guys get Scott Stevened because he was just vicious. I don't like seeing the crap above either. 

14 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

I remember old Billy Smith doing the two hander on Gretzky. Even 19th century lumberjacks would have been impressed with his "save attempts". "Hack"stall knew how to mow down players too. You didn't mess with those guys very often. Let the goalies do that again, and I suspect goaltender interference would drop. I don't like seeing guys get Scott Stevened because he was just vicious. I don't like seeing the crap above either. 

Battling Billy was a master @ keeping his crease clear. Hextall was no slouch either.

With non-calls like the 1s we've seen this year the league is inviting a return to the use of goalie sticks & blockers as weapons.

Incredibly with all the talk about hits to the head a 2 hander with enough force to break the stick on Helle's mask recieved a "oh well". Unreal.

------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, a week ago in San Jose Hertl nailed Kulikov in the #s sending his head into the glass resulting in blood & a concussion. Hertl got 2 & a game but not hearing from the dept. of player safety.

So much for that crackdown as well.

Seems NHL speaks with forked tongue. :mad:

57 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

I remember old Billy Smith doing the two hander on Gretzky. Even 19th century lumberjacks would have been impressed with his "save attempts". "Hack"stall knew how to mow down players too.

When I was a kid I admired Billy Smith for how he protected his crease and was definitely inspired and more than a little bit influenced...   He changed the way I looked at "my zone of blue paint" and I give him credit for showing me some of the ways you could defend it when I watched him play...

As I got older I was also a big fan of Hextall, and I learned more than a few things from as well...

One thing about Smith, is if the league starts allowing the crease to be crashed and goalies to be hacked, I don't think he will just let it slide without some old school retribution...   and maybe that is just what it might take for Bettman and his cronies to regain some common sense...

1 hour ago, Carty said:

When I was a kid I admired Billy Smith for how he protected his crease and was definitely inspired and more than a little bit influenced...   He changed the way I looked at "my zone of blue paint" and I give him credit for showing me some of the ways you could defend it when I watched him play...

As I got older I was also a big fan of Hextall, and I learned more than a few things from as well...

One thing about Smith, is if the league starts allowing the crease to be crashed and goalies to be hacked, I don't think he will just let it slide without some old school retribution...   and maybe that is just what it might take for Bettman and his cronies to regain some common sense...

I played defence when I was a kid. Smith and Hextall taught you how to help the goalie. That is, nobody touches the goalie, and you need to clear the front of the net. I guess that is why I lose my mind when the Flames allow contact with the goaltender. Mike Smith has a bit of Billy in him, but he shouldn't have to stare down guys like that. Not properly defending the tender is indicative of weak team solidarity IMO.

3 minutes ago, Carty said:

Agreed...   and being protective of the goalie is typical for successful teams... 

I remember when Kipper was nailed by someone in 2012. Hartley told the team that they were total losers by allowing that to happen. He pretty much told players that they should take their heads off. Not doing so was a sign of weakness. I think that he was right.

19 hours ago, Carty said:

Agreed...   and being protective of the goalie is typical for successful teams... 

The problem is with the supposed crackdown on hits to the head players & coachs expect the zebras to call a 2 hander to the head of a goalie.

In fact, they don`t even expect players (especially 1s like Neal) to deliver such a hit.

You try to keep your goalie from being run or interferred with but some things happen that leave you standing there stunned. Sure there is pushing & shoving after but when a penalty seems so obvious smart players tend to avoid retaliation & (wrongfully in this case) put their faith in officials calling the obvious. When that doesn`t happen & even video review doesn`t resolve the matter that trust will go out the window. I imagine if anything similar happens to the Jets there will be a full scale linedance next time & penalties be damned.

Archived