Seattle NHL Expansion

cccsberg

Now that Seattle has approved the renovation of the Key Arena and the NHL BOG has approved the start of the expansion process for Seattle to commence the Fall of of the 2020-21 season, how does that impact teams' plans going forward?  Assuming they get fast-tracked, could we be looking at another expansion draft in June 2020, or earlier?  From the comments by Bettman it seemed everything would stay the same as the VGN expansion, except for the increased price.  

Do we need to start thinking about the forthcoming expansion draft and players to be protected?  It may be a full 2 and a half years off, but that'll come sooner than later.  How will/should this impact the Flame's decisions on some key players coming up for re-signing in the next two years?  Here's a very quick, rough look forward, utilizing the same parameters as this past June where any player with 2 years or less Pro experience is exempt:

Forwards (7)

Gaudreau

Monahan

Bennett

Ferland

Tkachuk

Jankowski

Frolik/Backlund/Lazar/Hathaway/Shinkaruk/Klimchuk/Poirier/Mangiapanne/Pollock/Lomberg/Healey/Foo?

Defense (3)

Giordano

Hamilton

Brodie/Hamonic/Kulak/Stone/Anderson/Kylington?

Goalie (1)

Rittich/Gillies/Parsons?

Exempt guys according to my calcs would be:  Valimaki, Dube, Gawdin, Tuulolo, the rest of 2017 draft picks and Schneider.

Guys I dropped from consideration include:  Brouwer, Stajan, Versteeg, Jagr, FHamilton, Bartkowski, MikeSmith, Pribyl, Lack, Macdonald, HSmith, Carroll, Gazdic, Glass, Hrivik, and Wotherspoon.

No ideas about the eligible players that we'd need to keep and expose, but from the options listed above in the first entry I doubt that's an issue....  Also, as you can tell, the guys protected above are all re-signed when they come up either RFA or UFA before the potential expansion draft in June 2020.  

My initial sense is we either have a lot of pretty solid trade chips to cash in in the next couple of years, or, thinking we're in our SC window, just get used to the thought we'll lose an excellent player a la Neal from the Preds or MAF from the Penguins this past Spring.....  Should be interesting, and with the enthusiasm that the NHL seems to be showing to get this going, looks like it'll happen.

The arena has to be gutted & renovated. That alone means a team no sooner than 2021-22.

There are rumblings but no bids have stepped up with $650 million in hand.

As far as who to protect I don't have a crystal ball telling me who the roster will be in 2018 let alone 2021.Maybe we trade Gaudreau for an unprotected pick that wins the lottery fulfilling jj's dream of drafting Dahlin.Maybe another maverick league like the old WHA starts up & we lose a pile of players (including all high draft picks) to them as the ELCs & contract structure would be different.

Wow, the sky is falling! Oh, a bird just crapped on my forehead. :lol:

19 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

The arena has to be gutted & renovated. That alone means a team no sooner than 2021-22.

There are rumblings but no bids have stepped up with $650 million in hand.

As far as who to protect I don't have a crystal ball telling me who the roster will be in 2018 let alone 2021.Maybe we trade Gaudreau for an unprotected pick that wins the lottery fulfilling jj's dream of drafting Dahlin.Maybe another maverick league like the old WHA starts up & we lose a pile of players (including all high draft picks) to them as the ELCs & contract structure would be different.

Wow, the sky is falling! Oh, a bird just crapped on my forehead. :lol:

b6569c9a2e4abbd6e09e1bfd754d6f5e.png

https://www.nhl.com/news/seattle-can-begin-nhl-expansion-process-says-bettman/c-293782092

5 hours ago, cccsberg said:

Now that Seattle has approved the renovation of the Key Arena and the NHL BOG has approved the start of the expansion process for Seattle to commence the Fall of of the 2020-21 season, how does that impact teams' plans going forward?  Assuming they get fast-tracked, could we be looking at another expansion draft in June 2020, or earlier?  From the comments by Bettman it seemed everything would stay the same as the VGN expansion, except for the increased price.  

Do we need to start thinking about the forthcoming expansion draft and players to be protected?  It may be a full 2 and a half years off, but that'll come sooner than later.  How will/should this impact the Flame's decisions on some key players coming up for re-signing in the next two years?  Here's a very quick, rough look forward, utilizing the same parameters as this past June where any player with 2 years or less Pro experience is exempt:

Forwards (7)

Gaudreau

Monahan

Bennett

Ferland

Tkachuk

Jankowski

Frolik/Backlund/Lazar/Hathaway/Shinkaruk/Klimchuk/Poirier/Mangiapanne/Pollock/Lomberg/Healey/Foo?

Defense (3)

Giordano

Hamilton

Brodie/Hamonic/Kulak/Stone/Anderson/Kylington?

Goalie (1)

Rittich/Gillies/Parsons?

In 3 years, i'm not sure i would protect Giordano.  He's almost certainly going to be a 2nd/3rd pair guy making $6.75-mil cap for 2 more seasons.  I would protect Hamilton, Brodie, and Hamonic.  Depending on how soon Valimaki enters the NHL, he may need to be protected as well.  In that case, i would certainly hope we long traded Brodie for a RW.

Goalies, I sure hope we even have one guy worth protecting.

As for forwards, it's Monahan, Gaudreau, Bennett, Tkachuk, Jankowski.  The other two, we may have Backlund and Frolik still.  We may have traded Brodie for someone good up front.  Ferland may or may not be a flash in the pan, or injuries.  Who knows but it seems we will be stacked on D but have space up front.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

In 3 years, i'm not sure i would protect Giordano.  He's almost certainly going to be a 2nd/3rd pair guy making $6.75-mil cap for 2 more seasons.  I would protect Hamilton, Brodie, and Hamonic.  Depending on how soon Valimaki enters the NHL, he may need to be protected as well.  In that case, i would certainly hope we long traded Brodie for a RW.

Goalies, I sure hope we even have one guy worth protecting.

As for forwards, it's Monahan, Gaudreau, Bennett, Tkachuk, Jankowski.  The other two, we may have Backlund and Frolik still.  We may have traded Brodie for someone good up front.  Ferland may or may not be a flash in the pan, or injuries.  Who knows but it seems we will be stacked on D but have space up front.

You were busy trading Brodie over in the other thread and now you want to put him on your protected list for like 3 years down the road????

u251s.gif Players wont play for you with that treatment Peeps...

1 hour ago, DirtyDeeds said:

You were busy trading Brodie over in the other thread and now you want to put him on your protected list for like 3 years down the road????

Yeah, lots of balls in the air for something that may come to the fore in another year or so.  To me the decisions on Backlund and a D trade, allowing the youth to come forward are the most likely to be important for us.  The Flames have this year before they need to commit one way or another to Backlund(UFA) and their D corps, cause probably all of Anderson, Kylington? and Valimaki? will be seriously pressing for jobs by next year.

oh yeah, FF, in the article Bettendorf specifically referenced the 2020-21 season as the relevant start year for Seattle, which would also be the timeframe required for the arena.

11 hours ago, cccsberg said:

Yeah, lots of balls in the air for something that may come to the fore in another year or so.  To me the decisions on Backlund and a D trade, allowing the youth to come forward are the most likely to be important for us.  The Flames have this year before they need to commit one way or another to Backlund(UFA) and their D corps, cause probably all of Anderson, Kylington? and Valimaki? will be seriously pressing for jobs by next year.

oh yeah, FF, in the article Bettendorf specifically referenced the 2020-21 season as the relevant start year for Seattle, which would also be the timeframe required for the arena.

2020-21 if all pieces fall into place ideally. Little things like no construction delays & a serious owner(s) stepping up with $650 million in hand (we've seen offers for teams like the 'Yotes where the prospective owners were big on dreams but short on cash).

So it's best to see that as the 1st possible start for a team yet to be assembled while it doesn't have an arena nor owner.

So until we know it is happening rather than a pipedream there is no worry. If/when approved it's time to look @ who is on the Flames by then to consider who to protect.

Suppose TKachuk decides to move to Tibet & become a monk do you protect him in case he changes his mind? :lol:

13 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

That likely says as much about Brodie's play as anything. Some nights I want to assemble a bunch of hicks in an old pickup truck and run the guy out of town (insert banjo get away music here). Other nights, I think he is Bobby Orr. Rinse, repeat.

33 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

2020-21 if all pieces fall into place ideally. Little things like no construction delays & a serious owner(s) stepping up with $650 million in hand (we've seen offers for teams like the 'Yotes where the prospective owners were big on dreams but short on cash).

So it's best to see that as the 1st possible start for a team yet to be assembled while it doesn't have an arena nor owner.

So until we know it is happening rather than a pipedream there is no worry. If/when approved it's time to look @ who is on the Flames by then to consider who to protect.

Suppose TKachuk decides to move to Tibet & become a monk do you protect him in case he changes his mind? :lol:

The Seattle team could play in a temporary facility for a year if the Reno’s fell behind.  Never say never.  I am sure the league would make a lot of exceptions if someone was willing to hand over $650MM. 

7 minutes ago, stubblejumper1 said:

The Seattle team could play in a temporary facility for a year if the Reno’s fell behind.  Never say never.  I am sure the league would make a lot of exceptions if someone was willing to hand over $650MM. 

$65o million does carry a lot of weight. $20 million per ownership group with $30 left for bonuses to the Gnome & his crew.

Archived