Yotes & Rags Trade

Carty

The Arizona Coyotes have acquired forward Derek Stepan and goaltender Antti Raanta from the New York Rangers in exchange for the seventh-overall pick in Friday night’s NHL draft and defenceman Anthony DeAngelo.

60f257e98b19f24cd17422833ac021f4.png

Arizona got hosed. Stepan is a 6.5 x 4 2C (@ best) . Raanta might be ready for the starters role but I value him as a 2nd/3rd rounder just because goalies seldom bring a good price.

DeAngelo is no great guns but a cheap young D that was a 19OA pick that's still on his ELC carries worth. If it was the Wilds 1st or the 'Yoyes 2nd it would make more sense.

1 hour ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Arizona got hosed. Stepan is a 6.5 x 4 2C (@ best) . Raanta might be ready for the starters role but I value him as a 2nd/3rd rounder just because goalies seldom bring a good price.

DeAngelo is no great guns but a cheap young D that was a 19OA pick that's still on his ELC carries worth. If it was the Wilds 1st or the 'Yoyes 2nd it would make more sense.

Have to wonder if this trade was the straw that broke the camels back with Tippett...

8 minutes ago, Carty said:

Have to wonder if this trade was the straw that broke the camels back with Tippett...

On paper the Yotes look better after adding/overpaying for a 2C & a b/u that might be ready for prime time @ the cost of a pick & a prospect (I still consider DeAngelo that since he has only appeared in 39 games) . But when you factor in that that 2C is paid 6.5 x 4 & the goalie is a 1 year rental before UFA while the return is the 7th OA & the prospect is only 2 years out of juniors, still on his ELC & was drafted 19th that sheds a different light on the deal. The Rags gain a high pick, grade A prospect (a RD @ that) & 7.5 million in cap to chase Shattenkirk.

Even in Arizona the game is played on ice so the on paper part only works for numbers geeks when the team really isn't any better.

Normally the Yotes recieved assets for taking on a bad contract. This deal is the total reverse.

For that package they could most likely have recieved a center much closer to a #1. Using 2 names for familiarity I could see that landing Little from the Jets or Backlund from the Flames.

I think this trade hinges on Raanta. If he is the next Talbot, Yotes win easily but if he is just another good tandem goalie this is a huge coup for the Rangers. Stepan and his contract were turning into a liability with him being a little injury prone and seemingly unable to take the next step, stuck at an OK number 2 level. 

I"m not a big Deangello fan and don't think he will play at the NHL level but even the 7th overall pick is pretty good value for a contract dump and a very good backup. 

Archived