KHL expansion in China

The_People1

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/chinese-khl-kunlun-red-star-1.3652802

As the NHL expands a new team in Las Vegas, it appears the KHL is expanding to Beijing.

Will hockey sell in China?

I've been to Beijing before in January and yes, it is extremely cold there.  Yes, they have ice (but outdoor mostly).  Yes, people do skate there.  Yes, some people even hockey a bit.  How many kids in China are registered in hockey programs?  I don't have the figures but i venture to guess, not a lot.

That said, according to this article, Beijing's goal is to put "300 million people on ice" because of the 2022 Winter Olympics to be hosted in Beijing.  There may be an aggressive attempt by the Chinese government to get its best young athletes on ice and into sports like hockey in time for the 2022 Olympics.

http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/962928.shtml

The KHL is looking to cash in on this manufactured phenomenon.   Reportedly, Ilya Kovalchuk is one player potentially signing with the Kunlun Red Stars.

Thanks for posting those articles. I find it interesting even though I suppose that it makes perfect sense. 

In reaction to the CBC story, someone stated that much hockey equipment is now made in China. Is that the case? If so, why is it so expensive?

Thanks for posting those articles. I find it interesting even though I suppose that it makes perfect sense. 

In reaction to the CBC story, someone stated that much hockey equipment is now made in China. Is that the case? If so, why is it so expensive?

Anything made in China is not made there to lower the selling price although knockoffs seem to do just that.

Stuff made in China is made there to lower the manufacturing costs and thus make larger profits.

Anything made in China is not made there to lower the selling price although knockoffs seem to do just that.

Stuff made in China is made there to lower the manufacturing costs and thus make larger profits.

I agree with that logic. After all, running shoes are still quite expensive and the cost to produce them is quite low. I would have thought that the high prices would inspire competition and thus a gradual reduction in pricing. Perhaps it is not that easy to make hockey equipment (as opposed to t-shirts, shorts etc.) given the specialized nature of the product. 

I am a little surprised that the NHL has not moved into Europe by now. After all, Bettman has moved teams into some odd places. I half expected him to fire up a team in Tehran.

I agree with that logic. After all, running shoes are still quite expensive and the cost to produce them is quite low. I would have thought that the high prices would inspire competition and thus a gradual reduction in pricing. Perhaps it is not that easy to make hockey equipment (as opposed to t-shirts, shorts etc.) given the specialized nature of the product. 

I am a little surprised that the NHL has not moved into Europe by now. After all, Bettman has moved teams into some odd places. I half expected him to fire up a team in Tehran.

Just from googling, it seems most of the major hockey brands manufacture their low-to-mid priced gear in either China or Mexico.   Only their pro stock grade equipment is made in Canada and we're talking $1000+ for a pair of skates.  I think if all equipment is made in Canada, then we're looking at double the price for every item we buy.

I do agree about NHL in Europe and about a year ago, i made a post on the forums wondering why the NHL does not create an NHL Europe like the NFL tried with NFL Europe.  I guess at the end of the day, the hockey market there is more saturated than I thought.  So many local leagues of different levels and then the KHL influence too.

If China is serious about "300-million people on ice", then maybe the NHL should look at NHL Asia and try to put teams in the Northern regions in China, Korea, and Japan.

Archived