Trade: PIT and ANA in 3-player trade

Kulstad

Rutherford is getting desperate trying to turn this thing around. I'm not a very big Hagelin fan and st 4 mill Pens are paying a premium for a pretty avg player in my mind. Sullivan can maybe get him playing more like he did in New York so it could work out but it's not going to solve their problems.

Im fine with the move. Liked Perron, but he wasnt fitting in. I liked what I saw in Hagelin when he was a Ranger, doesnt seem like it was a good fit with the Ducks. Pens got a potential top 6 winger signed for a decent price for 2 more years for a UFA that is going to demand at least 5mil and depth defenseman. And on that note, Perron might be a good target for the Flames for a right winger. 

Im fine with the move. Liked Perron, but he wasnt fitting in. I liked what I saw in Hagelin when he was a Ranger, doesnt seem like it was a good fit with the Ducks. Pens got a potential top 6 winger signed for a decent price for 2 more years for a UFA that is going to demand at least 5mil and depth defenseman. And on that note, Perron might be a good target for the Flames for a right winger. 

I dunno about that, Hagelin's never been more than a borderline 2nd line forward even on the Rangers. He's never hit 40 points and is the same age as Perron. He's not big, isn't an offensive producer and isn't an elite shutdown forward.

Perron may not have done well in Pittsburgh, but he's also got a history of being a solid scoring forward. Hagelin might have him on pure speed and all-around play, but Perron's had seasons where he was on pace for 60 points. If he even comes anywhere close to a 50 point player, this is a win for Anaheim. I don't think Hagelin's two-way play is going to make up for the 10+ points difference between him and Perron.

Then you consider that Hagelin is signed for another 2 years, and Rutherford is really not making smart decisions from a contract and organizational perspective. At least Perron was coming off the books, Hagelin's stuck with Pittsburgh for the near future. Rutherford traded a higher end player, defensive depth (and one who was young/cheap) and contract flexibility for an undersized speedster whose career high in points is 38 in 64, which was achieved in his rookie season 4 years ago.

Rutherford is really really oldschool, because he still has the mindset of "anything is better than nothing" which is not true. There is value in having the space to make the right move, rather than continually trying to get "value" (which, quite frankly, is a moving target which suggests that after continuous value moves that the GM in question is simply a guy without an idea of what the team's identity is). But old boy JR isn't caught up to the cap era and the Pens are not going to end well for it. They're against the cap, will continue to be right up to the cap and contract limits, and really are just going to continue to hope that the magic beans they acquire will push their roster to another Cup, when they're struggling to just make the playoffs.

They're not even in that bad a spot. With some patience, they can easily retool their roster with young, cheap, quality players. Look at how Chicago does it, they trade away their vets for young cheap talent (as opposed to the opposite, which teams who are desperate tend to mistakenly do) and keep themselves competitive by surrounding their expensive players with cost-effective replacements. They rarely trade away first rounders, and the pipeline, which might lack in bluechip talent on occasion thanks to their success, is still fairly stocked with potential NHLers who provide depth in the minors and juniors in case of injury.

GMJR has never adjusted to the new NHL and it's shown in the ways he builds his teams and the way he goes about his business of acquiring talent. In Carolina, the team constantly saw "quick fixes" which were hit and miss, especially after the Cup run. He's not a guy with an overarching plan, and that's a problem. This deal isn't going to break Pittsburgh's back on its own, but after a series of these types of deals the Pens are going to be wondering why Crosby/Malkin/Kessel/Letang/Maatta/Fleury are surrounded by 30 point forwards, 15 point defensemen and absolutely no young bubble players in the system.

Archived