Tyson Baillie?

I thought for sure he would have signed an ELC out of prospect camp but to no avail.

What's stopping the Flames?  They immediately invited him to the youngstars tournament after the development camp in July and seemed to do well but no ELC.

Now, he is 2nd in the WHL in scoring, albeit, an over-ager, but has 9 points in his last 3 games and 23 points on the season in 13 GP.

Right handed shot.  Center.  A bit smaller at 5'10" but still 195lbs.  Better then some of our prospects.  And potentially a steal for an undrafted player maybe?

Thoughts?

I thought for sure he would have signed an ELC out of prospect camp but to no avail.

What's stopping the Flames?  They immediately invited him to the youngstars tournament after the development camp in July and seemed to do well but no ELC.

Now, he is 2nd in the WHL in scoring, albeit, an over-ager, but has 9 points in his last 3 games and 23 points on the season in 13 GP.

Right handed shot.  Center.  A bit smaller at 5'10" but still 195lbs.  Better then some of our prospects.  And potentially a steal for an undrafted player maybe?

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that we missed a chance to sign him this summer for nothing.  I think he goes back into the draft again.  I think he is in the same boat as Austin Carroll, where we drafted him as an overager, but could have let him slip through the draft and sign him in the summer.  

The logic for not signing him has to do with number of contracts.  Unfortunately Kanzig has one.

My thoughts are that we missed a chance to sign him this summer for nothing.  I think he goes back into the draft again.  I think he is in the same boat as Austin Carroll, where we drafted him as an overager, but could have let him slip through the draft and sign him in the summer.  

The logic for not signing him has to do with number of contracts.  Unfortunately Kanzig has one.

That makes sense but ELC contracts slide and don't count against the # of contracts, don't they?  He's already been through the draft twice, what is stopping anybody from signing him to an ELC?  The whole bargaining agreement screws my mind sometimes.  Surely, someone can sign him before the 2016 draft, can they not?  Do they have to wait til the WHL season is over then,  just like college hockey?  

Either way, guess the Flames brass saw something they didn't like.  His skating is apparently his knock, but in the highlights against the Hitmen last night, he went end to end, undressed a player, didn't score, mind you, on that play, but showed pretty good hands.  Also forced a turn over and set up a nice goal.

Guess, I'm just confused at how some NHL teams sign WHL free agents mid season??

That makes sense but ELC contracts slide and don't count against the # of contracts, don't they?  He's already been through the draft twice, what is stopping anybody from signing him to an ELC?  The whole bargaining agreement screws my mind sometimes.  Surely, someone can sign him before the 2016 draft, can they not?  Do they have to wait til the WHL season is over then,  just like college hockey?  

Either way, guess the Flames brass saw something they didn't like.  His skating is apparently his knock, but in the highlights against the Hitmen last night, he went end to end, undressed a player, didn't score, mind you, on that play, but showed pretty good hands.  Also forced a turn over and set up a nice goal.

Guess, I'm just confused at how some NHL teams sign WHL free agents mid season??

There are so many rules to signing people these days.  Where a player is drafted from, whether he plays in the USHL or in college, whether he is an overrager that went through the draft.  My understanding was that the Flames had until the start of the WHL season to sign him.  They didn't.  

As far as the number of contracts go.....

What is an Entry Level Slide?
If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count), their contract is considered to ‘slide’, or extend, by one year. For example, if a player signed an ELC for three seasons from 2015-16 to 2017-2018, and their contract slides, their contract is now effective from 2016-17 to 2018-19. 

Players who sign at 18 years old are eligible to have their contracted extended for 2 seasons. This extension does not apply if the player turns 20 between September 16 and December 31 in his signing year. Signing bonuses do not slide, and are paid to the player regardless of a slide, this causes the annual average of the players contract to change, and therefore the cap hit decreases for this player.

In this case, Baillie turns 20 this year.  So, we would be on the hook for it, I think.

Personally, I didn't view Baille as a must sign based on what I saw from him in TC and the Youngstars. I saw a solid, but not outstanding prospect and that is not exaclty ideal becuase as an overager if you want to be consdiered a prospect you better standout and for me I didn't see it. No problem with giving him the look and it doesn't necessarily mean they are done with they may just not have seen enough to warrant a contract at this point. A good season may change that, or maybe they are hoping to get him on an AHL deal at seasons end. I agree with TD that the contract woult not have slid and if the Flames had signed Baillie they likely would have had to put him in the AHL and prehaps they felt that wasn't best and that could be a reason they didn't sign him at this point. I do think brining plaeyrs into camps gives you a leg up on signing them so perhaps thre was dialogue there.

Based on my understanding, which I will admit might be incorrect, I dont' believe Baillie is eligible for the draft anymore. My understanding is you go through 2 drafts and if you remain undrafted you are a free agent. What i'm not clear about is how that impacts his signing. I know any player eligible for the draft cannot negoiate mid season but i'm not sure if that changes if they are true free agents or not.

Archived