"Generational" players

KACaribou

B)  Just my opinion:

Generational players are only defined after their body of work has finished or nearly finished.

Howe, Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux and several from the original six.

The league is full of elite or franchise players but I fail to see any I would define as generational currently.

The closest would be Martin Brodeur and Jaromir Jagr.

A notch below would be Sidney Crosby.

The so-called generational players in the 2015 draft will not earn that title until 15-20 years have passed.

++++++++++++++++

Totally agree with this. 

Also on Mario - the reason I am not sold on his title of generational player is that he played with Jagr - this enriched him. Many say the same about Gretzky/Kurri but to me Super-Mario benefited more from Jagr than Gretz did from Kurri - just my view. But for me a generational player is just vastly above other players consistently, not just slightly... 

Like it or not, Mario had his health issues and although this is nothing to do with his game, it held him back imo... 

If you were forced to pick a single player between Gretz and Mario - not sure if I go with Mario. If I could have had Gretz and Jagr together - I think we would have seen how Gretz would have piled up even more points...

Lemieux and Jagr won two SC’s as Penguin teammates in 91 and 92.  It just happened to be Jagr’s first 2 years in the league and his last SC.  During those two back to back playoff runs;

Jagr played 45 games and collected 37 pts.

Lemieux played 38 games and collected 78 ps.

Lemieux had a dominant career and averaged nearly 2 pts/gm, Jagr was half that but was more durable.  I’d give Lemieux the generational vote.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is just my strict use of the term generational.

Mike Bossy had some incredible numbers as well plus more Stanley Cups but again I am just personally so thrifty with the term. I don't personally even like giving it to Crosby not yet anyway. 

For me, to be generational the player has to not just be consistently elite over their entire career but they have to accomplish feats that will never be repeated or change the game of hockey. Butterfly style in G. Orr as the rushing D. etc... Gretzky was so good behind the net that the NHL changed the net placement moving it closer to the boards... 

To be generational to me you have to have something about you that puts you in a different category altogether. Gretzky was in the high scoring era but he was constantly above others and his single season records will never be broken. Bobby Orr changed the game of hockey and how D was played. Howe has a longevity that will never be equaled again playing in the NHL till the age of 52. Glen Hall invented the butterfly and played 502 consecutive games as a G. Hall played in a higher scoring era yet his GAA is very impressive. 

These are not just great players but players who have accomplished feats that will never be equaled again... 

That is how I like to use the term generational, like others I just don't like it thrown around so casually although I admit my standard for the term may be too extreme. 

So tell me just one thing that Mario has done that changed the game of hockey or a feat he accomplished in the game that will never be equaled again? 

I think it is just my strict use of the term generational.

Mike Bossy had some incredible numbers as well plus more Stanley Cups but again I am just personally so thrifty with the term. I don't personally even like giving it to Crosby not yet anyway. 

For me, to be generational the player has to not just be consistently elite over their entire career but they have to accomplish feats that will never be repeated or change the game of hockey. Butterfly style in G. Orr as the rushing D. etc... Gretzky was so good behind the net that the NHL changed the net placement moving it closer to the boards... 

To be generational to me you have to have something about you that puts you in a different category altogether. Gretzky was in the high scoring era but he was constantly above others and his single season records will never be broken. Bobby Orr changed the game of hockey and how D was played. Howe has a longevity that will never be equaled again playing in the NHL till the age of 52. Glen Hall invented the butterfly and played 502 consecutive games as a G. Hall played in a higher scoring era yet his GAA is very impressive. 

These are not just great players but players who have accomplished feats that will never be equaled again... 

That is how I like to use the term generational, like others I just don't like it thrown around so casually although I admit my standard for the term may be too extreme. 

So tell me just one thing that Mario has done that changed the game of hockey or a feat he accomplished in the game that will never be equaled again? 

While I don't like the term "generational player" myself, there is no denying the ability or special-ness of some players.  And while I can't think of any specific thing Mario did while he played that may never be accomplished again (even some of Gretzky's records may be shattered down the line), here a list for you to choose from for Lemieux: http://www.mario-lemieux.com/records.php

Archived