What is the ruling on contacting the puck on a face off?

jmatechuk

The second penalty the Flames took in the first period tonight happened on the face off. Stajan was called for handing the puck on a face off. However it looked as though Stajan's stick was tied up at the drop causing him to fall forward landing on the puck. From the angles we saw on the big screen there was no motion to move or shovel the puck but the penalty was called. Is this the appropriate ruling for this situation?

• 3 weeks later...

He played the puck with the hand.

Rule 67 - Handling Puck

67.1 Handling Puck - A player shall be permitted to stop or “bat” a puck in the air with his open hand, or push it along the ice with his hand, and the play shall not be stopped unless, in the opinion of the Referee, he has deliberately directed the puck to a teammate in any zone other than the defending zone, in which case the play shall be stopped and  a face-off conducted (see Rule 79 – Hand Pass). Play will not be stopped for any hand pass by players in their own defending zone.

If I`m not mistaken, the FO was in CGY defensive zone, because of another minor penalty, right? He did not hide the puck in his gear and crawl out of DZ.. After Stajan`s minor, they went 5 on 3 PK... Bad call, I`d say.

Rule 67 - Handling Puck

67.1 Handling Puck - A player shall be permitted to stop or “bat” a puck in the air with his open hand, or push it along the ice with his hand, and the play shall not be stopped unless, in the opinion of the Referee, he has deliberately directed the puck to a teammate in any zone other than the defending zone, in which case the play shall be stopped and  a face-off conducted (see Rule 79 – Hand Pass). Play will not be stopped for any hand pass by players in their own defending zone.

If I`m not mistaken, the FO was in CGY defensive zone, because of another minor penalty, right? He did not hide the puck in his gear and crawl out of DZ.. After Stajan`s minor, they went 5 on 3 PK... Bad call, I`d say.

Faceoffs are exempt from that rule now...

The other new rule pertains to faceoffs. Both players taking part in the faceoff are “prohibited from batting the puck with their hand in an attempt to win the faceoff” and doing so results in a minor penalty. Once the puck touches a third player, who was not taking part in the faceoff, players are allowed to bat or swat the puck, but hand-pass rules and the covering the puck guidelines still apply.

Archived