Can we make the Playoffs this year?

Basti

Of the remaining 20-games, I'm thinking the Flames go something like 9-9-2 giving them a total of 90-points to end the season. I think Giordano's injury will likely have cost the Flames around 4-points and ultimately the playoffs. It's too bad. It was a good run and they had me convinced they could make it but the Giordano injury is too critical to ignore.

The next game without Giordano is going to be a statement game. Win, and optimism will run throughout the fan base. Lose, and the season is over.

I disagree. I expect the flames to rally and play well in Phillly, I think it's the next set of games after that when it really sinks in Gio is gone. Big injures can rally at first and one game won't make or break it but the rest of the road trip will IMO. That's when you'll start feeling the loss and that's where I think you'll see what this team has without Gio.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the issue to take into consideration is like zirakzigal said, even if the Flames make the playoffs, and that's a big IF, do they even have the potential to win a series. So suppose that we do make playoffs. Our opponents are either going to be Nashville, Anaheim or Vancouver. With Vancouver we might actually have an interesting series as their team is relatively comparable with the Flames, but without Giordano, the Nashville or Anaheim series is probably going to end in a sweep. I still think the Flames have what it takes to make the playoffs as they have been resilient all year, but the Giordano injury more than likely rules out any potential of a playoff run. I don't necessarily know if I want to see the Flames make the playoffs to get swept...  

I forgot where this quote came from, but I remember it as something along the lines of "It takes a good team to make the playoffs, but a great team to win the Stanley Cup". Losing Giordano doesn't necessarily make the Flames a "bad" team, but it takes away the potential for them to be a great team. 

Bad third period (we've had a few of those lately - that's not a good sign), but came away with two points, and hold down our playoff spot. Should give the guys confidence from here on out.

Minnesota loses in OT, so kinda good.

Kings winning. Sigh.

Sharks up 3-0 over the Canucks after 1. I'd rather see the Sharks win this one since they can't catch us easily, and we might still have a shot to catch/pass Van.

Bad third period (we've had a few of those lately - that's not a good sign), but came away with two points, and hold down our playoff spot. Should give the guys confidence from here on out.

Minnesota loses in OT, so kinda good.

Kings winning. Sigh.

Sharks up 3-0 over the Canucks after 1. I'd rather see the Sharks win this one since they can't catch us easily, and we might still have a shot to catch/pass Van.

If SJS wins, it will be a 3 way tie for 3rd in the division.

Sheesh. No jump after the puck. Reluctant zone clears. Nobody clearing the net. I am not sure if this is the number of kids, minutes, or if this is just an off period. But they are going to have to figure it out to make the playoffs.

Colborne did shove the guy who scored the second goal into the net, then tried to throw him in again after he scored... I don't think that's quite what you were wanting though.

I disagree. I expect the flames to rally and play well in Phillly, I think it's the next set of games after that when it really sinks in Gio is gone. Big injures can rally at first and one game won't make or break it but the rest of the road trip will IMO. That's when you'll start feeling the loss and that's where I think you'll see what this team has without Gio.

Yeah, as if this road trip wasn't hard enough already. Good teams rise to the occasion through adversity though. We'll see. Boston is beatable. Idk about Detroit though. Ottawa is beatable too.

9 of 12 segments complete and we are still on track with 3 segments to go.  Imagine that!  Go Flames!

66d74b87ba224c0e04a4abcf23d48298.png

Next segments:

• Boston, Detroit, Ottawa, Anaheim, Toronto, Colorado, St Louis,
  • Philadelphia, Columbus, Colorado, Dallas, Minnesota, Nashville, Dallas
  • St Louis, Edmonton, Arizona, LA, Winnipeg

The ones in bold are the games we should win.  Win those and find 2 more points in the other games and we will keep the pace.  Oddly enough I am not sure if that gives us enough points though.  It should be close.  

3 more games on this road trip, we need a minimum of 3 points to stay on track, though 4 or more points would make me much more comfortable. It is very doable though. Boston on Thursday might be tough but they are beatable, they are 3-5-2 in their last 10. Getting a point out of Detroit on Friday would be gravy, but back to backs on the road are tough. Last game is Ottawa on Sunday, this is a very winable game, but that last game of long roadie is always killer.

Don't underestimate those teams out of the playoff race... they love to be the spoilsports. Ottawa has won against all Californian teams!

Totally agree cf.

As I said in a different post the teams with 0 chance have nothing to lose. They can play loosey-goosey against teams that need the points but take the bottom-feeders for granted. Management may be in tank mode but the majority of players/coaches are looking @ their next contracts where #s matter.

Those 2 Ontario teams that will fight it out for the right to face the western winner will meet scare me.

Sure the Leafs have to get more points than possible but in the center of the universe that doesn't matter. The Sens can't afford to lose either but they are Ont. based so can overcome that.

It's all true guys. GTA based announcers tell us how great those teams are. :D

Strength of Schedule (Games Remaining):

Vancouver(19): .445

Calgary(19): .455

San Jose(17): .482

Los Angeles(19): .488

Minnesota(19): .518

Winnipeg(17): .553

Basically I just took the winning percentage of the opposing teams left on each schedule. Winnipeg might be in for a rough time down the stretch. I was happy to see the Calgary has it relatively easy.

Archived