Can we make the Playoffs this year?

Basti

On January 28th last year the projected cut-off (based on past play) was at 95 pts.

At the end of the season Dallas made the final wild card spot with 91 pts.

I still see a 92-94 pt cut-off occurring as a tight wild card race lasting to the end of the season likely suppresses the cut-off. At least we will witness an exciting finish in the West as I still see 7 teams vying for 4 spots.

In the East, we see 2 teams fighting for 1 spot. Boston almost a lock with Florida hanging by a thread.

The other 7 teams all have a practically insurmountable task and as a result their seasons are essentially over.

How depressing to cheer for a team with 25-30 games left to play knowing this early that game 82 will be the last.

That reminds me, if we went to the proposed new point system where every game is 3 pts;

3 pt regulation win, 2 pt overtime win, and 1 pt tie then some teams will be out of it even 20 games sooner than this year.  We don’t want teams out of it at the half, that’s not good business.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That reminds me, if we went to the proposed new point system where every game is 3 pts;

3 pt regulation win, 2 pt overtime win, and 1 pt tie then some teams will be out of it even 20 games sooner than this year. We don’t want teams out of it at the half, that’s not good business.

That's why Bettman won't do it. Wants his parity.

That's why Bettman won't do it. Wants his parity.

Which is sad, as i'm sure everyone agrees.

The original intent of the extra point in OT was to encourage teams to "go for it" and stop playing conservatively in OT.  A by-product of that was manufactured parity.  It's so so sad that the by-product now takes priority over the initial intention of the idea, which is almost a forgotten after thought.

Just on wins and losses alone what would the standings look like, minus the extra point?

Central(wins)

Nashville(38)

St. Louis(37)

Chicago(35)

Pacific

Anaheim(35)

Vancouver(31)

Calgary(31)

Wild Card

San Jose(29)

Winnipeg(29)

Minnesota(28)

Dallas(26)

Los Angeles(25)

Colorado(23)

Arizona(20)

Edmonton(16)

CGYPt-2015-02-15_zps6f7bb763.png

This is a cool chart. I don't think I've seen you do this one before.

Thanks for producing all of these Pyro. They're awesome.

Its kinda sad to look at that 8 game losing streak on there. We were doing really well before that. But it does look like we could be at a .600 winning % by the end of the year if we keep playing consistently, which is pretty amazing in what essentially is year 2 of a rebuild.

The thing about the 8 game losing streak is that was when the team started playing better and the fancy stats were in our favour on paper but not the stats that count, the final score. They played good hockey in most of those games and could've won half of them. Hot goalies and bounces...

They learned from it and had shown resiliency.

But I hear you, some loser points or a few wins could've gone a long way during that streak.

Today is an interesting day.

CAL vs BOS
WPG vs EDM

TBL vs LAK

MIN vs VAN

I like WPG more than EDM, but right now I'm chearing the other way.

Not sure who to chear for in MIN vs VAN though. Neither is good. I guess MIN would be better for us because then we'd be ahead of both rather than in the middle, but then MIN is closer to catching us.

Just don't be a 3 point game please.

Today is an interesting day.

CAL vs BOS

WPG vs EDM

TBL vs LAK

MIN vs VAN

Not sure who to chear for in MIN vs VAN though. Neither is good. I guess MIN would be better for us because then we'd be ahead of both rather than in the middle, but then MIN is closer to catching us.

Just don't be a 3 point game please.

When you are holding a playoff spot you cheer so you continue on holding that spot. Personally I cheer for any team that is below us when they play a team above us, as long as it means they won't actually catch us.

Thanks for producing all of these Pyro. They're awesome.

Thanks. It's a affliction I am cursed with. ;)

Sometime a graph or chart will say more than words ever will. B)

Here is one I update once a year. It is by far the most depressing from a Flames in playoffs point of view.

Flames fans have seen The Dark Ages on more than 1 occasion.

The most sobering fact is that we have advanced into the 2nd round once since 1989.

CGYPlayoffHistory_zpsa6130432.png

I remained a hardcore fan throughout the 7 year dry spell from 1997-2003.

I hated it. Our 5 year drought must end now!

Go Flames Go

The most sobering fact is that we have advanced into the 2nd round once since 1989.

Yup.  Very sad.  We missed the playoffs more then we made them as well. 

I am not cheering for Edmonton to win.  That is crazy talk.  I am cheering for Winnipeg to lose though.  

Yup.  Very sad.  We missed the playoffs more then we made them as well. 

I am not cheering for Edmonton to win.  That is crazy talk.  I am cheering for Winnipeg to lose though.  

I'll cheer for them to win .. just enough so they end up in like 4th or 5th slot and then I'll cheer for a  low odds team to win the lotto and bypass them.

I'd rather they did not pick in top 5 spots at all......

I'll cheer for them to win .. just enough so they end up in like 4th or 5th slot and then I'll cheer for a  low odds team to win the lotto and bypass them.

I'd rather they did not pick in top 5 spots at all......

I whole-heartedly agree.

There's nothing wrong with cheering for the enemy to win, especially if it continues to throw them into a position of mediocrity.  Edmonton doesn't deserve Eichel, McDavid, or Hanifin.

Anything that boosts our chances of making the post season, giving Aaron Wardo some props, cred, and bragging rights amongst his co-workers in the TSN office, and pissing off the other 4-6 teams chasing that all the 'experts' pegged would be a shoe-in.

When you are holding a playoff spot you cheer so you continue on holding that spot. Personally I cheer for any team that is below us when they play a team above us, as long as it means they won't actually catch us.

The problem is MIN can catch us if we lose tonight.

If we win and Van wins  we move up by Van is still ahead

If we lose and Van ins we stay the same but Van is farther ahead

if we win and MIN wins we move into 2nd ahead of both

If we lose and MIN wins we drop out of the playoffs.

There's three bad options out of four there. But the Van winning ones aren't as bad as the last one.

Chearing for MIN is very much a Win-Lose scenario based on how we play against BOS. Hence my uncertainty.

Thanks. It's a affliction I am cursed with. ;)

Sometime a graph or chart will say more than words ever will. B)

Here is one I update once a year. It is by far the most depressing from a Flames in playoffs point of view.

Flames fans have seen The Dark Ages on more than 1 occasion.

That is a very depressing chart. But it still looks better than one for Edmonton I bet.

Hopefully we can start making it look like the 80s again soon.

The problem is MIN can catch us if we lose tonight.

If we win and Van wins  we move up by Van is still ahead

If we lose and Van ins we stay the same but Van is farther ahead

if we win and MIN wins we move into 2nd ahead of both

If we lose and MIN wins we drop out of the playoffs.

There's three bad options out of four there. But the Van winning ones aren't as bad as the last one.

Chearing for MIN is very much a Win-Lose scenario based on how we play against BOS. Hence my uncertainty.

That is a very depressing chart. But it still looks better than one for Edmonton I bet.

Hopefully we can start making it look like the 80s again soon.

Short memory?  In the time frame shown Edmonton won 5 cups and made it to the finals 2 more times.  Theirs looks pretty crummy 06/07 on though.  

Here is the playoff history of our mortal enemas....

Edmonton had an astounding 13 year streak:

EDMPlayoffHistory_zps8130c585.png

Vancouver has been fairly regular like a healthy digestive system:

VANPlayoffHistory_zps2b930ffd.png

Archived