Who Would You Rather Have?

kehatch

The Flames are in an interesting position.  They have insisted they are going to take their time with prospects.  But some of the prospects are forcing their hand.  Roster decisions may have to be made sooner then later.  

Keep in mind this is just a game to generate discussion.  In reality depth is required, players can play multiple positions, and it is rarely a one on one battle for a single spot.  But it does give some perspective on where we have potential conflict.  

LEFT WING

• Glencross vs Gaudreau: Time to move on from Glencross.  Gaudreau is a star.  
  • Raymond vs Baertschi: I hope Baertschi wins this battle eventually.  But so far he hasn't shown he is ready.   
  • Byron vs Ferland: Ferland will be limited to IR call up for now.  But he is making a strong showing.  
  • Bollig vs Bouma: Bouma made Bollig irrelevant before we even traded for him.

RIGHT WING

• Hudler vs Nobody: Hudler's ability to competently play RW gives him a leg up due to the lack of depth at the position in our system.
  • Jones vs Poirier: Jones wins this for now.  But Poirier is pouring it on.  
  • Setoguchi vs Jooris: Can anyone seriously contest this one?
  • McGrattan vs Hanowski: In reality I would rather see a LW like Bollig come over then keep McGrattan, but we lack bodies at this position so McGrattan wins for now.  

CENTRE

• Stajan vs Bennett: Stajan wins for now.  But not for long.
  • Backlund vs Granlund: This is a tough one for me.  But Granlund is showing he is NHL ready and he plays a similar game to Backlund.  
  • Monahan vs Nobody: Nobody is bumping Monahan.  
  • Colborne vs Knight: Knight isn't ready yet.  He is probably limited to IR call for know.  

LEFT D

• Giordano vs Nobody:  We have very few NHL ready D.  Wouldn't matter.  Gio isn't going anywhere.  
  • Russell vs Nobody: Once again, a lack of options.  Fortunately Russell is pretty good.
  • Smid vs Wotherspoon: Wotherspoon showed he was ready to make the jump before getting injured last season.  I like him better then Smid.  

RIGHT D

• Brodie vs Nobody: See Gio.  No options.  Wouldn't matter.  
  • Wideman vs Nobody: Wideman is playing better as of late.  We lack the options to replace him.  If we move him we need to bring someone else on in trade.  
  • Engelland vs Nobody: I would love to move Engelland for better options.  But we don't have any.  

GOALIE

• Hiller vs Nobody: Hiller has been great and we don't have anyone to take his spot anyway.  
  • Ramo vis Ortio: This will become a really interesting battle if Ortio starts playing well.  Ramo is a UFA after this season and Ortio's contract becomes 1-way and he will be waiver eligible.  But so far Ortio has been pretty bad.  

The Flames are in an interesting position.  They have insisted they are going to take their time with prospects.  But some of the prospects are forcing their hand.  Roster decisions may have to be made sooner then later.  

Keep in mind this is just a game to generate discussion.  In reality depth is required, players can play multiple positions, and it is rarely a one on one battle for a single spot.  But it does give some perspective on where we have potential conflict.  

LEFT WING

• Raymond vs Baertschi: I hope Baertschi wins this battle eventually.  But so far he hasn't shown he is ready.   
  • Byron vs Ferland: Ferland will be limited to IR call up for now.  But he is making a strong showing.  
RIGHT WING
  • Hudler vs Nobody: Hudler's ability to competently play RW gives him a leg up due to the lack of depth at the position in our system.
  • McGrattan vs Hanowski: In reality I would rather see a LW like Bollig come over then keep McGrattan, but we lack bodies at this position so McGrattan wins for now.  
CENTRE
  • Backlund vs Granlund: This is a tough one for me.  But Granlund is showing he is NHL ready and he plays a similar game to Backlund.  
  • Colborne vs Knight: Knight isn't ready yet.  He is probably limited to IR call for know.  
LEFT D
  • Giordano vs Nobody:  We have very few NHL ready D.  Wouldn't matter.  Gio isn't going anywhere.  
  • Russell vs Nobody: Once again, a lack of options.  Fortunately Russell is pretty good.
  • Smid vs Wotherspoon: Wotherspoon showed he was ready to make the jump before getting injured last season.  I like him better then Smid.  
RIGHT D
  • Wideman vs Nobody: Wideman is playing better as of late.  We lack the options to replace him.  If we move him we need to bring someone else on in trade.  
  • Engelland vs Nobody: I would love to move Engelland for better options.  But we don't have any.  
GOALIE
  • Hiller vs Nobody: Hiller has been great and we don't have anyone to take his spot anyway.  
  • Ramo vis Ortio: This will become a really interesting battle if Ortio starts playing well.  Ramo is a UFA after this season and Ortio's contract becomes 1-way and he will be waiver eligible.  But so far Ortio has been pretty bad.  
As far as it goes its an interesting list.

LW I like all 8 options, so would look to trade 2 and move 2 to RW. Gaudreau and Ferland the only 2 keepers, for sure. Open to trades and moves with the others. Also think Agostino in the mix.

RW like Poirier and Jooris as keepers, open to trades on others. Like Hudler too, but may need to get bigger down the road, thinking Smith, Carroll and others (e.g. Colbourne) may be better for the team and likely we can get a great pick/prospect for Hudler...

C keep Bennett, Monahan, Granlund, Backlund and move Colbourne to RW, Knight and Reinhart to RW or spares... Open to trades on the others...

D bring up Wotherspoon, Sieloff later in the year and (?) others next years... Look to trade Engelland, Wideman and potentially Smid.

G right now are Hiller and Ramo. Ortio supposed to be in the mix but if his play remains marginal he'll have to be waived to stay at Addy next year, along with Gillies from college.

By the looks of things this is a projected line-up, for the future here is my picks. ( Like them or not)

Johnny/Bennet/Poirier

Raymond/Monohan/Jooris

Colborne/Granlund/Ferland

GlenX/Bouma/Hunter Smith

TDL: extend GelnX if possible to add to next years fourth line. Hudler can bring in alot at the deadline and we as a rebuilding team would be wrong not to take a high pick or a good prospect for him. I see guy's like Ferland and Hunter Smith pushing the fighters out. Fighting is going to be so rare that McGrattin is most likely gone aswell.

Waived: Jones and Seto waived by Xmas. (Seto for sure, m Jones is a wish of mine, he just takes up space on the roster that has already been earned by two others)

Free agency could bring in a player that can cement himself as a main stay. (I can hope can't I?)

TJ/Gio

Russel/Wideman

?/?

Hiller

Best guy we can get when the money permits, eventually our team will be a place good players will sign at again.

I think if we're looking for the playoffs in the future, we have to keep a guy like Hudler who has the playoff experience and has won the cup before. He has earned the right to see this rebuild through if we can get competitive enough to get into the playoffs in the next few years. 

For me the most intriguing conversation would be Backlund or Granlund. I really like what I have seen from Granlund in the very small sample size. He plays a very similar game overall to Backlund. I think Granlund is a bit more physical, in that he isn't afraid to engage in the corners or put his body between the puck and the opposing player. Those are things I wish Backlund would do on more consistent basis.

Backlund is a better skater and has more stick skills, as in being a little more creative one on one and being quick with his stick defensively.

If Granlund can keep up his level play through to the trade deadline then I would very much be entertaining the idea of trading Backlund for a young defenseman.

Poirier is another interesting case. 6 points in 3 regular season AHL games, that's pretty impressive stuff. He is coming off surgery so I am in favor of letting him get comfortable in the AHL. There is no rush to bring him up to the NHL.

Same can be said for Ferland. He has had a great start to the season, but I would like to seem him show that he can do it consistently. Once he is cleared from his concussion I would send him back down, to get back up to speed.

Gaudreau/Mony/Hudler

Raymond/Backlund/Poirier

Colborne/Bennnet/Ferland

Byron/Stajan/Jooris

Gio/Brod

Russell/Wideman

Wotherspoon/Engelland

Smid

Hiller/Ramo

This is how I see our opening roster next year.  Hudler provides great experience and mentor-ship to our younger players, making him pretty invaluable.  Glencross on the other hand does not figure into the long term plan.  I have not been all that impressed with his play this year, and he is a diminishing asset.  Should be traded this year if possible, as I doubt we resign him.

This line up actually has potential.  The 3rd pairing could be improved, and I wouldn't object to upgrading the 2nd pairing either.  Forward wise, this looks pretty good.  We have a high skill first line with Mony and Johnny and Hud, a balanced second line with Backs matched with the skill and speed of Raymond and the gritty Poirier, a third line with size and enough skill to score while being a bit sheltered in Colborne, Bennett, and Ferland, and a fast and reliable fourth line that can keep teams on their toes while being defensively responsible. 

LEFT WING

RIGHT WING
CENTRE
LEFT D
RIGHT D
GOALIE
I don't dispute your choices, but if this is who would you rather have, I would adjust a few forwards:

- give me Gaudreau, Raymond, Ferland and Bouma - Ferland offers that big body and power forward Byron will never be. Byron was better to start the year, but lately can't finish. I also want that bigger body in the lineup,

- give me Hudler, Poirier, Jooris and Knight - Knight is quicker than Hanowski.

- give me Mony, Backlund, Granlund and Colborne - Colborne isn't a #4C, but can play there as needed.

Once Bennett and Baertschi make the team, you are in a position that Hudler and Backlund are redundant. I say that meaning that they are fixtures on the team; Sven as a top 6, Bennett as at least #2C.

Archived