Call ups

Krule

Poirier got the call over Baertschi for a couple of reasons. Calgary knows exactly what they get in Sven at the NHL level. They know that Hartley is not a fan of his for whatever reason. He gets little ice time and is not really trusted to play in various situations.

The have not seen yet what Poirier can do. They brought him up to show his stuff at the NHL level, see what he has in real game situations prior to the final playoff push. If Poirier can make a good impression on Hartley and the others, he may get plenty of opportunities to stick.

To be fair to Sven, Poirier is a RW.  Sven was never able to play that role effectively.  Byron plays mostly RW.  Stajan is a C. Colborne plays RW or C.  Granny has only played C on the Big Flames (as far as a remember).  Ferland may just be insurance in case Glenny is traded during the roadie. 

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Poirier got the call over Baertschi for a couple of reasons. Calgary knows exactly what they get in Sven at the NHL level. They know that Hartley is not a fan of his for whatever reason. He gets little ice time and is not really trusted to play in various situations.

The have not seen yet what Poirier can do. They brought him up to show his stuff at the NHL level, see what he has in real game situations prior to the final playoff push. If Poirier can make a good impression on Hartley and the others, he may get plenty of opportunities to stick.

I don't think so. They have not brought up any players since before christmas to "see what they can do".

We are in the middle of a run to make the playoffs. This is no time to bring up players to see what they can do in the NHL. I think both these call ups are to fill in spots for injuries if needed and both will be sent down as soon as the team is healthy. Unless there is a trade consdieration that opens up a spot.

I think the other thing the Flames do is bring up the young guys to subsidize their salaries a little, even if they are sitting. Even a couple of weeks making 5x what they normally do is a real bonus for AHL guys, beside climatizing to the big club. The extra money is like a bonus for working hard and making strides improving. Of course the little taste of NHL, in theory, will also make the player work harder when they go down. I kind of agree with Dirty, that the team doesn't want to mess with their chemistry too much while trying to make the playoffs. But from what I have seen, they have been playing substandard lately and the threat of new guys waiting in the wings might work like a shot of adrenaline. Either that or Bollig and Glenner are out the door and Poirier and Ferley respectively are ready to step in to replace them. Ferley and Glenner are LW, Poirier and Bollig RW. That's likely wishful thinking on my part mind you.

I think there is a great chance Poirier doesn't get a game.

On one hand I like rewarding the kid with a call up. But on the other hand Adirondack is out Granlund, Poirier, Ferland, and Ortio and they are fighting to get back into the playoffs.

If he gets to play all is good. But if he sits the bench like Wotherspoon and Baertschi did I don't like the decision.

I think the other thing the Flames do is bring up the young guys to subsidize their salaries a little, even if they are sitting. Even a couple of weeks making 5x what they normally do is a real bonus for AHL guys, beside climatizing to the big club. The extra money is like a bonus for working hard and making strides improving. Of course the little taste of NHL, in theory, will also make the player work harder when they go down. I kind of agree with Dirty, that the team doesn't want to mess with their chemistry too much while trying to make the playoffs. But from what I have seen, they have been playing substandard lately and the threat of new guys waiting in the wings might work like a shot of adrenaline. Either that or Bollig and Glenner are out the door and Poirier and Ferley respectively are ready to step in to replace them. Ferley and Glenner are LW, Poirier and Bollig RW. That's likely wishful thinking on my part mind you.

Bollig usually plays LW, with Stajan at center and Byron on RW. With Stajan out, Granny can slot in; he was projected to be a healthy scratch. Poirier is a position replacement for Byron on RW; which line he plays on not sure. Bollig can be used or bring in Ferly. Most likely (I believe) it is between Bollig and Ferly as to who sits.

I think there is a great chance Poirier doesn't get a game.

On one hand I like rewarding the kid with a call up. But on the other hand Adirondack is out Granlund, Poirier, Ferland, and Ortio and they are fighting to get back into the playoffs.

If he gets to play all is good. But if he sits the bench like Wotherspoon and Baertschi did I don't like the decision.

The thing is when you are on a 7 game 13 day road trip you need extra bodies just in case. The extra bodies also need to be able to contribute as we are still fighting for playoff lives.

The thing is when you are on a 7 game 13 day road trip you need extra bodies just in case. The extra bodies also need to be able to contribute as we are still fighting for playoff lives.

I get that and I understand the need. I also agree that the big club is the priority. But calling up Adirondacks best players just to sit the bench seems like a waste. Their are other warm bodies that have played well enough to deserve a call up without looting the farm.

That said, he might play. If he gets in a game or two I have no problems with the call.

I get that and I understand the need. I also agree that the big club is the priority. But calling up Adirondacks best players just to sit the bench seems like a waste. Their are other warm bodies that have played well enough to deserve a call up without looting the farm.

That said, he might play. If he gets in a game or two I have no problems with the call.

Who else deserved a callup that wouldn't be considered looting. Loosing Shore, Baertschi or Wolf would have been just as big of a loss as Ferland or Poirier, and as far as I am concerned nobody else on the farm helps Calgary right now.

I have to say I'm really liking what both players brought last night.  Neither got big ice time but Ferland especially was noticeable as a big body physical presence and I love Poirier's size and speed.  With what we've seen from the farm, BT has my permission to move a couple of vets for picks / prospects at the TDL !  Maybe Glenny and one other...Bollig anyone ?

Wotherspoon drove down to Uniondale and is already on the ice practicing with the team this morning.

Even if Giordano is healthy maybe we should put Wotherspoon in to replace Engelland.

You mean Wotherspoon-Brodie as a top pair?  That's asking a lot of the rookie. 

If you mean Wotherspoon-Diaz as a bottom pair?  That's a pretty weak D-pairing too.

Im pretty sure Wotherspoon-Diaz would be a massive upgrade over Engellend-Diaz. Or at the absolute worst case, not any worse.

I don't think its a good idea to put him with Brodie for top minute pairings, but then again, who is good enough to play there? Not Engellend. Not Potter....

Really highlights how we do not remotely have enough depth on D. Hopefully we pull off a trade with GlenX for one in the next 4 days.

Tyler Wotherspoon was just recalled.

That's actually bad news. Probably means that Giordano's injury is worse than we hoped.

Dont read this much into the call up. It just means Gio is unlikely to be ready for tonights game. Gio has not been fully diagnosed yet according to the inteview with BT this morning. The Flames don't know how long or how severe the injury is yet.

You mean Wotherspoon-Brodie as a top pair?  That's asking a lot of the rookie. 

If you mean Wotherspoon-Diaz as a bottom pair?  That's a pretty weak D-pairing too.

I was thinking they might move Russel up to play with Brodie if the injury is going to be short term.

Dias maybe up with Wideman or Wotherspoon in that slot.

Edit: Tonights lineup...

eeb72c1ffafdde7af1b8b41e24f9713f.png

The Flames know Wotherspoon isn't NHL ready. Didn't look it last year, got injured again and has been good but not great in the A. They had no other call up options so they were stuck, but I don't' suspect you will see Wotherspoon get much NHL action in the foreseeable future. He still has a little ways to go and I think you'll see him back in the A in short order.

Archived