Call ups

Krule

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Wolfman is back.  Just came off IR, and is travelling with team to Cali.  Projected lines don't have him in, but he may take Byron's spot in the lineup, or just enjoy the game from the pressbox.  Byron is the only spot it makes any sense to insert Wolfie into. LW, playing with Jooris and Colborne.

Wolfie has earned the respect of the coach as a guy that shows up every day to practice/meetings and is willing to do whatever it takes.

Not that Byrin doesn't, but if you are given a choice between a hulking prospect itching to make an impact or a small energy guy, who do you choose?  Byron had been on the Schnide for months, and only recently scored a goal off Raymond. Wolfie had a solid first game.

We shall see, but he may get a game in on this short roadie.

The Wolfman is back.  Just came off IR, and is travelling with team to Cali.  Projected lines don't have him in, but he may take Byron's spot in the lineup, or just enjoy the game from the pressbox.  Byron is the only spot it makes any sense to insert Wolfie into. LW, playing with Jooris and Colborne.

Wolfie has earned the respect of the coach as a guy that shows up every day to practice/meetings and is willing to do whatever it takes.

Not that Byrin doesn't, but if you are given a choice between a hulking prospect itching to make an impact or a small energy guy, who do you choose?  Byron had been on the Schnide for months, and only recently scored a goal off Raymond. Wolfie had a solid first game.

We shall see, but he may get a game in on this short roadie.

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=752543

He is traveling and skating with the team but he hasn't been pulled off of IR yet.

Wow. Repeating what I have read on and between the lines so far: Put Wolfie in - pull Byron.

Wolfie has earned the respect of the coaches (in 6 minutes)! He's a guy willing to do anything.

Gee sounds just like Byron.

Let's give him the keys to the city! Trade Ferley we don't need him anymore we've got Wolfie.

IAM KIDDING OF COURSE! But let's hit the break, and grind to the speed of sound!

I wouldn't mind seeing the guy play a little more too, but let's be realistic. REMEMBER: Akim Aliu???

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=752543

He is traveling and skating with the team but he hasn't been pulled off of IR yet.

Read that he was off IR, but can't find the link. Hartley said he would use Wolf if he had the need.

"He’s doing great. He’s working hard. He’s healed right now so we could use him if we would need him," Hartley said of Wolf's status.

I may have relied too much on Wills or other Flames source, since there doesn't appear to be any formal IR move.

Wow. Repeating what I have read on and between the lines so far: Put Wolfie in - pull Byron.

Wolfie has earned the respect of the coaches (in 6 minutes)! He's a guy willing to do anything.

Gee sounds just like Byron.

Let's give him the keys to the city! Trade Ferley we don't need him anymore we've got Wolfie.

IAM KIDDING OF COURSE! But let's hit the break, and grind to the speed of sound!

I wouldn't mind seeing the guy play a little more too, but let's be realistic. REMEMBER: Akim Aliu???

No, sounds like Ferland. You recall Hartley spoke highly of him too, and played him as soon as he came back from injury.

Read that he was off IR, but can't find the link. Hartley said he would use Wolf if he had the need.

"He’s doing great. He’s working hard. He’s healed right now so we could use him if we would need him," Hartley said of Wolf's status.

I may have relied too much on Wills or other Flames source, since there doesn't appear to be any formal IR move.

No, sounds like Ferland. You recall Hartley spoke highly of him too, and played him as soon as he came back from injury.

Paul Byron (illness) will not play tonight. David Wolf has been activated off the Injured Reserve.

— Calgary Flames (@NHLFlames) February 10, 2015

Looks like you were right afterall, but somehow you were hours ahead of the Flames. Do you know what the winning lottomax numbers are too?

Paul Byron (illness) will not play tonight. David Wolf has been activated off the Injured Reserve.

— Calgary Flames (@NHLFlames) February 10, 2015

Looks like you were right afterall, but somehow you were hours ahead of the Flames. Do you know what the winning lottomax numbers are too?

And the numbers are:

1,2,3,47,48,49...Bonus 4.

:)

I read too much twitter, so I couldn't backtrack it. Wolfie was skating full practice for last 2 days.

Ferley has hardly got a point since he went down, yet was leading scorer prior to coming up. I like the young man's big game and he has hands. Not sure what they have done to him down there, but hopefully not something he's done to himself.

That's unfortunate to hear. Ferlund was a definitely depth LW that I was looking forward to see in time.

Not having him available (and still not really knowing where Sven will eventually place in the ineup) means that the LW isn't as strong of  a position as we thought recently.

We still have good options, but it was the one point we could have made some trades from to acquire that bottom 3 D and a depth RW for in the near future.

• 2 weeks later...

Calgary Flames (@NHLFlames) tweeted at 9:30 AM on Mon, Feb 23, 2015:

The #Flames have recalled Michael Ferland & Emile Poirier from the @AHLFlames

Byron has gone on IR and Stajan is on parental leave expecting the birth of a child any day now.

With the Flames going on 13 day, 7 game road trip they needed extra guys on hand. Also after getting thrown around by Anaheim we need some size and toughness in the lineup, enter Ferland and Poirier.

Can't wait to see Poirier.

Yeah I am excited to see what Poirier can do, hopefully we get to see him in a couple of games this road trip.

I am a little surprised to see Ferland as he has been pretty snake bitten since being sent down last time. He does being a size and physical element that we need going down the stretch.

Yeah I am excited to see what Poirier can do, hopefully we get to see him in a couple of games this road trip.

I am a little surprised to see Ferland as he has been pretty snake bitten since being sent down last time. He does being a size and physical element that we need going down the stretch.

Ferly can replace GlenX (assuming he is traded this week) as far as grit goes.  Hartley loves Ferly.  Ferly will also stick up for his team, which has been missing recently.  GlenX will mix it up, but rarely drops the gloves. Ferly will.

Can't tell you how excited I am to see Poirier.  Jooris is great, but has lost a step since coming off Johnny's line (who doesn't).

Poirier may be that extra spark we need.  If he gets his first goal, he will become a scoring machine because he wants to score.

The lines below are assuming X has been traded (not that I want it):

So you will likely see Granny slot on the 4th with Ferland and Jooris.  Raymond and Poirier with Colborne on the 3rd. Bouma with Jones and Back on the 2nd.

If GlenX is kept, then I think you may see this:

2nd - Bouma/Backs/Poirier(Jones)

3rd - GlenX/Colborne/Raymond

4th - Granny/Jooris/Jones(Poirier)

Here's what I would like to see:

Johnny Hockey, Moneyhands, Hudler

Bouma, Backs, Jones

Ferley, Colbourne, Jooris

Raymond, Granny, Poirier

I can see this after the Glenner trade with Bollig thrown in.

Not that Jooris is a bad player, but Poirier was more impactful in the AHL than Jooris.  He is more a top 9 player that Jooris is these days. BT had this to say about him...

“He’s got an NHL shot today. He has a tremendous shot, a tremendous release,” said Flames GM Brad Treliving. “And he can skate at the NHL level. The funny thing with Emile, if you watch him skate, it’s not an oil painting. Maybe ‘unorthodox’ is the right word. But he wins races. He gets to places fast. He beats people with his feet. He’s explosive. He’s got an explosive stride.

My guess for tomorrow nights lines are:

Gaudreau/Monahan/Hudler

Bouma/Backlund/Jones

Glencross/Grandlund/Raymond

Ferland/Jooris/Colborne

The first two lines have been very steady for the last few weeks so I wouldn't mess with them. Glencross might sit just to keep him from getting injured, but if he goes in Poirier will watch the first game and just get used to the big time and watch the systems from above. If Glencross sits or gets traded the lines will be:

Raymond/Granlund/Colborne

Ferland/Jooris/Poirier

Anyway you look at it we should be able to roll all 4 lines pretty well.

Not that Jooris is a bad player, but Poirier was more impactful in the AHL than Jooris.  He is more a top 9 player that Jooris is these days. BT had this to say about him...

“He’s got an NHL shot today. He has a tremendous shot, a tremendous release,” said Flames GM Brad Treliving. “And he can skate at the NHL level. The funny thing with Emile, if you watch him skate, it’s not an oil painting. Maybe ‘unorthodox’ is the right word. But he wins races. He gets to places fast. He beats people with his feet. He’s explosive. He’s got an explosive stride.

Agreed, I just thought they'd start Poirier by giving him less pressure. There's little doubt Jooris is a 4th liner on a good team, which is what we want to become.

Sooo overly excited to see Poirier play. And with Ferland coming up as well I think this says a couple of things. First, Byron is on IR and Stajan is waiting for his wife to give birth, so they are out of the lineup. Secondly I think we are mere days away from Glencross being traded and we need to fill some spots. Thirdly, what about Sven? I wonder why he wasn't called up. He's been playing well and could possibly slide in to Glencross' spot should he get traded soon. We may see it yet but I just find it funny that Poirier would get the call before Sven. Not that I'm complaining though.  ;)

Sooo overly excited to see Poirier play. And with Ferland coming up as well I think this says a couple of things. First, Byron is on IR and Stajan is waiting for his wife to give birth, so they are out of the lineup. Secondly I think we are mere days away from Glencross being traded and we need to fill some spots. Thirdly, what about Sven? I wonder why he wasn't called up. He's been playing well and could possibly slide in to Glencross' spot should he get traded soon. We may see it yet but I just find it funny that Poirier would get the call before Sven. Not that I'm complaining though.  ;)

If there is one thing we should have learned this year is that just because you are called up, does not mean you are going to get ice time on the Flames.

Look at the recent call ups where Tyler Wotherspoon never got a minute in our lineup or Wolf waited forever to get his couple of games in.

Poirier got the call over Baertschi for a couple of reasons. Calgary knows exactly what they get in Sven at the NHL level. They know that Hartley is not a fan of his for whatever reason. He gets little ice time and is not really trusted to play in various situations.

The have not seen yet what Poirier can do. They brought him up to show his stuff at the NHL level, see what he has in real game situations prior to the final playoff push. If Poirier can make a good impression on Hartley and the others, he may get plenty of opportunities to stick.

Sooo overly excited to see Poirier play. And with Ferland coming up as well I think this says a couple of things. First, Byron is on IR and Stajan is waiting for his wife to give birth, so they are out of the lineup. Secondly I think we are mere days away from Glencross being traded and we need to fill some spots. Thirdly, what about Sven? I wonder why he wasn't called up. He's been playing well and could possibly slide in to Glencross' spot should he get traded soon. We may see it yet but I just find it funny that Poirier would get the call before Sven. Not that I'm complaining though. ;)

I think it is a reaction to the way Anaheim just pushed us around. Our lack of size and push back was very effident. Ferland and Poirier bring the size and push back that the team is looking for. Sven is very similar in style to guys like Raymond, Hudler and Guadreau.

I think it is a reaction to the way Anaheim just pushed us around. Our lack of size and push back was very effident. Ferland and Poirier bring the size and push back that the team is looking for. Sven is very similar in style to guys like Raymond, Hudler and Guadreau.

True enough. I wasn't thinking along those lines at all.

Although I'm not as huge a fan as some people for Baertschi its kind of unfortunate the way he has been handled. I blame that on the old regime. But that's another thread.

Archived