NHL rule changes for 2014

DL44

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-announces-rule-changes-for-2014-15-season/

Love theses for the most part..

DIVING :
Warning 1st offense, $2000 2nd offense, $3000 3rd, $4000 4th, $5000 for the 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th embellishment penalty
Coach : $2000 for the 4th offense, $4000 5th, $5000 for the 7th and 8th

My take - The fines are symbolic. This at least helps increase the amount of shame towards a player.. and annoyance levels from the coach. I just wish they added the ability to enforce these retroactively since so much gets missed during a game... i.e. the ability for the league to review tape. (article doesn't state they can, but i don't know for sure).

OVERTIME :
Dry scrape before OT, and they start with OT with a long change.

My take - about time. Next step is i want the league to switch so teams face a long change in periods 1 and 3 instead of period 2. The 2nd period is the highest scoring one in part because of mistakes made during long line changes.

SHOOTOUT :
No more lists of 3 have to submitted prior to a shootout.
No more Spinoramas.

My take - Never saw the point of a list in the first place. Hated teams were locked into a list when they could of used their 3rd shooter in the 2ns spot because suddenly they are down 2-zip and need the clutch guy in the 3rd spot to shoot immediately. Also will add to the entertainment of being surprised with selections as they get tapped on the shoulder.
Banning the spinorama I'm against. I don't care the puck moves backwards... its a creative skill play that should of remained. All they had to modify was that ANY contact by a player on a goalie wipes out a goal.

VIDEO REVIEW :
Broader discretion

My take : As long as they get it right

KICKING IN GOALS :
More Liberal and relaxed on calling a kick.

My take : Great. i say allow every kicking motion that doesn't involve the skate leaving the ice.

FACEOFFS :
If a shot breaks the glass, goes off the side of the net and out of bounds, goes off the boards or glass and out, is tipped or deflected out by a teammate or gets stuck on top of or on the outside of the net - The Faceoff remains in the offensive zone.

My Take : Rightfully so... encourages making the offensive play.

FACEOFFS ON ICINGS :
To curb delays in to catch ones breath - The player in the circle will be given a warning for his first violation, but NOT replaced. Instead of being replaced, the second violation will mean a minor penalty.

My take - Finally. It became textbook on how to buy an extra 10 seconds of rest. Send in winger for the 1st faceoff... let him get waived out, but argue for a second, slowly circle around, Oops, went to the wrong side, real faceoff guy comes in tries to talk to the ref.. faceoff dropped 10-15 seconds after it initially was about to be...

TRAPEZOID :
Increases in size by 2 feet .. i.e. gives the goaltender and extra 2 feet to handle the puck.

My take: Since it's for safety reasons, you have to accept it.

PENALTIES :
Two offences of clipping, charging, elbowing, interference, kneeing, head-butting or butt-ending with the stick will lead to a game misconduct.
Tripping is also clarified to be a penalty if a player dives with his body, arm or shoulder to interfere with an opponent, even if he gets to the puck first.

My take - The tripping one significant and the RIGHT ONE. Never got why a player was able to trip another player but allowed to get away with because he touches a puck before doing it.. More penalty shots.. never a bad thing.

Edit: I just re-read the the list of the 2-penalty-> Gm Misconduct rule... Interference is included!! That is crazy isn't it?!

Violent penalty, violent penalty, violent penalty, and then a "lazy/slow the game down" penalty. Will become a huge point of discussion when a tough gritty big named Dman gets tossed.

Long term effects could be very positive and good for the flow of the game if all hockey players work to eliminate interference calls... but wow.. very interesting..  Has to be the ballziest change on the list..

FACEOFFS ON ICINGS :

To curb delays in to catch ones breath - The player in the circle will be given a warning for his first violation, but NOT replaced. Instead of being replaced, the second violation will mean a minor penalty.

My take - Finally. It became textbook on how to buy an extra 10 seconds of rest. Send in winger for the 1st faceoff... let him get waived out, but argue for a second, slowly circle around, Oops, went to the wrong side, real faceoff guy comes in tries to talk to the ref.. faceoff dropped 10-15 seconds after it initially was about to be...

Good idea.  Except, once the playoffs come around, we won't see this penalty get called.  The refs will just give the teams as long as they need to get ready for the faceoff.

PENALTIES :

Two offences of clipping, charging, elbowing, interference, kneeing, head-butting or butt-ending with the stick will lead to a game misconduct.

Tripping is also clarified to be a penalty if a player dives with his body, arm or shoulder to interfere with an opponent, even if he gets to the puck first.

My take - The tripping one significant and the RIGHT ONE. Never got why a player was able to trip another player but allowed to get away with because he touches a puck before doing it.. More penalty shots.. never a bad thing.

Edit: I just re-read the the list of the 2-penalty-> Gm Misconduct rule... Interference is included!! That is crazy isn't it?!

Violent penalty, violent penalty, violent penalty, and then a "lazy/slow the game down" penalty. Will become a huge point of discussion when a tough gritty big named Dman gets tossed.

Long term effects could be very positive and good for the flow of the game if all hockey players work to eliminate interference calls... but wow.. very interesting..  Has to be the ballziest change on the list..

The Tripping Rule implies you're still allowed to trip a player if you played the puck first as long as you didn't dive to make the play happen.  This is the right thing to do. I've always felt if you played the puck first, then the intention was to play the puck and not to trip the opponent.  The rule tries to prevent injuries whereby a diving player lying on the ice exposes their wrist/hand to getting stepped on and cut.  I like this new rule.

Archived