The Value Of The Calgary Flames

s4xon

I was bored last night, and after browsing the internet for tidbits on my favorite NHL club, I stumbled across some interesting info.  Should make for good discussion on current and future spending trends, and future building plans in regards to the Flames' finances.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Despite being the 3rd smallest market in the NHL, the Calgary Flames are number 11 on Forbes' list of NHL valuations. Below, you can see how the valuation breaks down at a glance. The full breakdown can be viewed @ http://www.forbes.com/teams/calgary-flames/ for the Flames, and for all other NHL teams.

fd4eb79120cd0fcb1a7459bed77c3b0c.png

a829ac53af57ed643b345a868b86bdc7.png
849adb1607beb0c86693f0928e0649f4.png3cda5eaf4c301f75fa49ad3ac886e04d.png909eabe0a109e5e166c118d95a5df6d0.png

2b5ad16a145a01292fe7182317abcfd6.png

Well, I'd put the value of the stadium at zero as it's not owned, only has 1 year left on the lease and they're going to have to fork over probably near the whole amount for a new building. Overstated value.

Also interesting that they can't earn positive operating income with a cap team.

Well, I'd put the value of the stadium at zero as it's not owned, only has 1 year left on the lease and they're going to have to fork over probably near the whole amount for a new building. Overstated value.

Also interesting that they can't earn positive operating income with a cap team.

I'd compare it to the situation with the Winnipeg Jets. Especially with the way the cap and Canadian dollar is going, smaller Canadian markets won't be able to afford to go all the way to the top of the cap without incurring losses of some level. At best we make a decent profit. At worst....well, we saw the 90s and early 2000s firsthand.

The years we spent chasing the Cup had us making minor profits, mostly through a couple of 1st round playoff games. Now that our player salaries have dropped, we're much more in the black. That's basically the case for most contending teams with loyal fanbases, especially in Canadian markets.

The Saddledome may not be owned, but any and all events that occur in the arena goes to the pockets of the Flames ownership group, which adds some value. On the other hand, Forbes includes facility values for teams who don't have ANY control over their home arena, so I'm not sure exactly how Forbes calculates those values. Must not be smart enough to understand their logic. :P

Archived