Robbie Ftorek Hired As Asst. Coach For The Heat

Former NHL player and coach Robbie Ftorek has been hired as the Assistant Coach with the Heat...

Here are his coaching records...

7174e0994936f0d6385e6eb7fa64106c.png

e4f727f25b3a0df26638a2866ae1067b.png

One of the things I remember about Ftorek, was that when he was with the Devils he got so PO'ed when play wasn't stopped after Jay Pandolfo's face got smashed during a collision with Mathieu Dandenault thet he threw the bench on the ice and ended up being ejected and also received a one game suspension...

Ftorek holds the dubious distinction of being the only NHL coach to be sacked by two different teams in the final days of what was a winning regular season for that team – first New Jersey in 1999/2000 and then Boston in 2002/2003. His record was 41–20–8–5 with the Devils and 33–28–8–4 with the Bruins...

What are your thoughts on Ftorek being hired?

I'm not sure what to make of this.  It's not like he has a spectacular record either in the NHL nor in the minors, although he did win the Calder Cup (but so did Playfair).  I guess another set of experienced eyes wouldn't hurt.  I don't recall his name being mentioned as a coach that was a great teacher but after coaching so many years in the minors you'd think it would be a strength.

It makes me curious why they think they need him or what specifically he brings to the table, besides his Bill Cosby sweaters.

Never followed Ftorek's coaching career or what his style was.

First thing I thought of when I saw the news was the first thing I think of whenver I see or hear his name...cardigan sweaters, as I can still remember him wearing them behind the bench instead of a suit when he broke into the NHL in the late 80's as a coach.

But he's got experience at different levels of the game and during different era's of the game so I suppose that's ok to add and see how he works out.

Archived