2013-2014 Abbotsford Heat Roster

Here is how I see Abbotsford's roster shaking out so far. A lot of it depends on how things go in camp, mainly which of the centers are going to make the Flames roster (Horak, Monahan, Knight).

Forwards

Byron/Street/Horak

Bancks/Granlund/Hanowski

Ferland/Reinhart/Nemisz

Elson/Jones/Eddy

Howse

Hopefully Granlund stays in Abbotsford for the whole year and gets accustomed to North America and the smaller ice, it will also make it so he can earn call ups, even his brother had to spend some time in the AHL.

Defense

Breen/Cundari

Billins/Wotherspoon

Ramage/Martin

McKenzie

It is nice to see homegrown talent filtering through the system, with Wotherspoon and Ramage in their first pro seasons they will really push a guy like Breen to see if he is ready to go to the next level, if no those guys will climb over him and happily take the next step. McKenzie played a few games last year in Abbotsford and got a look at development camp wouldn't be to surprised to see him in Abbotsford all year next year.

One guy I thought about putting on this list was Sieloff, having signed his ELC he is eligible to play in Abbotsford this upcoming season, but he might be better off back in Windsor playing more minutes.

Goalies

Berra

Ortio

Brossoit

Should be a good battle for playing time. Brossoit could end up in ECHL or back in junior, or Ortio could go back to Finland. Kind of hoping that Ortio stays and keeps working towards being an NHL goalie.

Personally I don't think Berra is quite ready for the NHL as of yet.  I would prefer to see him on the Heat to start the year and see how he progresses.  He didn't have that great of a development camp and seems to be fighting the angles and the speed of the game.  A year of playing in the A will go far in terms of his development.  If he progresses and can show that he's ready half way through the season I say bring him up but as of right now I would rather have the tandem of Ramo and MacDonald to start the season.

Personally I don't think Berra is quite ready for the NHL as of yet.  I would prefer to see him on the Heat to start the year and see how he progresses.  He didn't have that great of a development camp and seems to be fighting the angles and the speed of the game.  A year of playing in the A will go far in terms of his development.  If he progresses and can show that he's ready half way through the season I say bring him up but as of right now I would rather have the tandem of Ramo and MacDonald to start the season.

Based on what? He played well against NHL players during the lockup and was excellent at the worlds this summer. 

Based on what? He played well against NHL players during the lockup and was excellent at the worlds this summer. 

The first thing that comes to mind is learning (and getting reflexively knowledgeable about) the size difference between international/European ice compared to NHL/North American ice.

They will roll with 3 goalies for the start. Im betting that Mac gets waived or traded midway through the year. He was always just insurance in case Berra or Ramo werent ready. 

I think you may be right due to the number of goalies we have signed.  Broissoit/Ortio on the Heat and Ramo/Berra/JMac on the Flames.  Split the NHL duties to a 1a/1b situation where JMac is the backup, no matter who the starter is.  Ramo and Berra both get about 35 games each, and JMac starts on the occasional b2b game. 

Of course, it might be prudent to start Berra in the AHL for 10 games to give him time to adjust, but that would be it.

Kulstad summed up perfectly my reasoning.  All the examples you used he was playing on the bigger ice surface.  Granted his prospect's camp is a small sample size, but even he admitted in an interview he did that getting used to the smaller ice was going to be an adjustment.  That's why I say he should start in Abby, get him his playing time and if he shows he can handle it then you bring him up.

I dont get all this "Berra will have to adjust" nonsense. Does that mean Ramo will still suck in the NHL because he hasnt adjusted and is used to the KHL? No. There will be some adjustment to angles and playing the puck, thats a given. But his mechanics of stopping a puck will not change regardless to ice surface size. 

I dont get all this "Berra will have to adjust" nonsense. Does that mean Ramo will still suck in the NHL because he hasnt adjusted and is used to the KHL? No. There will be some adjustment to angles and playing the puck, thats a given. But his mechanics of stopping a puck will not change regardless to ice surface size. 

I think the big difference will be getting used to forwards running the goalie; probably happens a lot less in KHL.  The good thing is Ramo is solid (6' - 215lbs) so he won't be on the bottom of the pile like Kipper used to be.  Berra is tall, so he shouldn't get run over so much.

Archived