2013 Draft: Best Options Outside Iss Top 30 Ranked Players

joeyabs

Who would you pick 30th overall?

***Have a look at the Iss top 30 link and try to pick someone thats NOT on the list***

*To make it interesting assume that all the players on the top 30 ISS rankings are already taken and the Flames have taken a center with first pick and defenseman with second.

ISS top 30 players http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=92324

The poll contains a few of the better players not on the ISS top 30 list.

Erne stands out as someone who is very high on most mock draft boards but is not on the ISS top30.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there is a write up about Gauthier sounds pretty impressive does any 1 think he will be available in the late rounds or not a first rounder perhaps early second round. If early second I would jump on him with late first round pick

there is a write up about Gauthier sounds pretty impressive does any 1 think he will be available in the late rounds or not a first rounder perhaps early second round. If early second I would jump on him with late first round pick

He could be available for our second pick, I like him too. I would say he'll be gone before 25th overall.

The poll is just a hypothetical situation for the third first round pick if everyone from ISS top 30 is gone / already drafted.

I would give Madison Bowey some consideration as well. Was Canada's best all around dmen at the Under 18s, great skater and IMO has a good deal of upside.

Great pick if hes still around, I'm hoping for 2 forwards and one defenseman out of first round ( BPA though of course )..

I don't think Hagg lasts until 30ish but if he is there i'm thinking you run up and take him. He is probably a top 15 or so talent he just needs some time and I think the upside is certainly there.

I'm not a huge fan of Klinchuk in the first round I really question his ability to produce consistant offensive numbers in the NHL he doesn't finish enough plays for me. good grinder and a great team guy who fans will love but if it came down to him or Hartman i'm taking Hartman. The Flames need some guys that have the pest, bull in a china shop mentality and Hartman fits that.

I like his offensive numbers but some concern with his size.  Only 5.8.  Im thinking the Flames have quite a few small skilled forwards.  Hopefully they can trade Cammy away in the off season for a pick in 2014.  

Yeah i would be more than happy snagging petan with the third pick. Who would you pick thats not on that top 30??

Im thinking the Flames have quite a few small skilled forwards.  Hopefully they can trade Cammy away in the off season for a pick in 2014.  

temporary problem.  We already have one less, with Cervenka leaving.

Also, there's been a lot of talk about us being too "small", which was really a nice way of saying we're not good enough.  Some confusion between the two.  Highest scoring player in the draft, projected right around our pick...

Ive always hagg was a good option if he was there, but that highlight video is pretty meh. Ive seen alot better

Yeah ive seen Hagg and Erne pretty high on some rankings earlier in the year, maybe their play has brought them down a bit recently.

I like his offensive numbers but some concern with his size.  Only 5.8.  Im thinking the Flames have quite a few small skilled forwards.  Hopefully they can trade Cammy away in the off season for a pick in 2014.  

Another concern is the coat-tail effect of playing with a stacked team. Hard to say if those points are truely deserved, but i haven't seen much of him play yet to be honest. I'll be watching the memorial cup before i am too harsh to judge.

Ive always hagg was a good option if he was there, but that highlight video is pretty meh. Ive seen alot better

judging any player, specifically a dman, based on a highlight video is a very poor idea. You are either going to overrate or underrate a player.

judging any player, specifically a dman, based on a highlight video is a very poor idea. You are either going to overrate or underrate a player.

And yea thats the other thing, these videos never show the positional play of guys. Its really hard to get a bead on dmen especially without scouting them in person. I wonder if there are any leagues that put together an all22 or coaches tape type video package like the nfl has, at least for top picks.

temporary problem.  We already have one less, with Cervenka leaving.

Also, there's been a lot of talk about us being too "small", which was really a nice way of saying we're not good enough.  Some confusion between the two.  Highest scoring player in the draft, projected right around our pick...

Wasn't aware he was leaving.  Good news.  Didn't think he did enough to warrant another contract.   On with the next experiment.

I'm of the opinion we need to focus on drafting Ctrs.  Now with that said, our 1st first rounder may be NHL ready or close to it.  So we draft the best possible Ctr to start.

With the mid round 1st form Stl, we should address the D position too, could be a potential top 4 D available in that spot.  With that said, this position is probably a 2 year wait to see.  If a D is more than 2 years out then go back to the drawing board and get another Ctr.  Reason for this is two fold:

1.  Fwds are less of a development time than D.

2.  This is a deep draft for Fwds so take advantage of it.

If they do go the rout of drafting a 2nd Ctr with the Stl pick then focus in on the best possible D for the Pit pick.  I really do not think there will be much difference in development time for a D between the Stl and Pit pick, maybe an extra year or two max. I do not think that will factor as much and would put this D on track to come in a year or two behind Johhny G, Witherspoon, Kenny A and company.  Basically keeping a fairly steady prospect pool flowing in new blood every few years.

Key focus needs to be size and grit with skill, had to do as every teem is looking for the same thing but with 3 firsts, we get a better shot than most get what we want first.

I must say Dickenson is interesting size, a bit of grit and some skill, he looks very interesting and seems to not be a one dimensional player.  The only question with him is what position is he, if a Ctr I'd be all over him.

The other player I would be very interested in is Hartman, Though he reminds me a bit of Max Reinhart, gritty type player, but has some toughness and willing to drop the gloves.  However he's not overly large but if he can play that type of hockey then what the heck.  Again, the only issue is he may actually be better than Max and I can;t say we would need two of the same on the team, unless of course one could be put on the wing (without screwing their performance), then this would be a deadly combo for a 4th line!  Not just 4th line but 2 guys on the 4th line who are actually able to do well in 3rd line duties regularly.  That is true depth!

Both Dickenson and Hartman have something to offer this team and would be good options, I think Dickenson has a slightly higher potential, especially if he's a Ctr.  I think he would make a great 3rd Ctr behind Backlund, making the 3rd line tougher and maintain some skill too.  Add in our 6th overall Ctr ) probably Monahan and that makes your Ctr position solid 3 deep or more when you facto Horak in:

Monahan

Backlund

Dickenson/Horak/Reinhart

Horak/Diickenson/Reinhart

Or

Monahan

Backlund

Horak/Reinhart

Hartman/Reinhart

I think Dickenson affords the team more flexibility at Ctr with better depth but the Hartman option is not a bad depth chart either.  Much better than we have had since the old days with Newi and Otto.

Having said all this, not withstanding trade up potential at the draft, I'd be more willing to wait another year or two to build this type of depth IF we were able to trade up and get MacKinnon.  He's a much better starting point (skill and overall complete player) than Monahan, which, I think would be worth another year wait to build even greater depth down the Ctr.  I really like the look of:

MacKinnon

Backlund

Horak

Reinhart/Jones/Bouma

Now I know Horak has been on the LW as of late, but he seems to be much better as a Ctr form the games I've watched him in.  But been a huge Horak fan, just see so much potential in this guy, it's just a matter of time before he breaks out.  I get the impression he may even be better than Backlund in a few year.

In an Ideal world, I'd really like to see us have enough depth to have Backlund as our 3rd line Ctr but we simply do not have the depth for that.  I must place a disclaimer here with Backlund on the 3rd, this is with the thought process of rolling 3 lines with close to equal ice time so no one line is really the top line, as it makes it very difficult to defend 3 lines coming at you one after the other then have an aggressive 4th line for checking the heck out of you. \then they throw 3 scoring lines at you again.  That would wear down many teams  in the NHL, constant pressure!

Hard to say which way Feaster will go, but I'd focus on Ctr now and reconstitute the ctr ranks every 3 years.  Basically focus your draft on the best available player at a given position (unless there is an obvious can't miss guy available) starting in this rotation:

1. Ctr

2. Def/Goal

3. Wing 

Then go back to #1 in the 4th year and keep the rotation going.  Sure some years will be stronger than others, but that's where you adjust for the best player available if there are stand outs.

One thing is for sure, there will be players moving on this off season, there has to be, as we are too deep in some areas and bare bone in others.  Something has to give.  This is a year feaster could really change things for the good, 3 1st rounder (at least, more could come on draft day), plenty of cap space and the cap is going down so some teams will be in tough to move salary.  The key is the draft, once we see Feaster's focus at the draft we will have a very good idea of things to come.  

My only fear is he is all over the board with his picks, this needs to be a very focused draft not just the BPA, this is not the draft to worry about that once out of the top 3.  This is the draft to focus on Ctrs or Winger depending on your team needs.  For Cgy it;'s Ctrs.

Alot of good thoughts, I agree we definately need some help at center. I think that the later picks will (and should) change based on weather we get monahan or lindholm - or someone else. I would like to see some offensive pop. If we end up with lindholm there should be a sway towards gauthier C, for the 2nd pick or someone with defensive accumen. If we get monahan, i'd like to see them take a chance on someone more offensive minded (maybe Petan if hes around for third pick). I would love to get one of (Defensemen) morrissey/bowey/theodore with one of the picks - thinking its going to have to be the second, but i don't think you can pass on gauthier if hes available there.

Dickenson is LW so might have to pass on him.

Noteable centers ranked 20ish++ include:

Horvat C/LW, Gauthier, Petan, Klimchuk C/LW, Lazar, Compher, and Hartman C/RW

Another name who I have seen going very late in mock drafts is Ryan Pulock. Hes ranked anywhere from top 10 to as low as 30. Hes ranked as an ok defenseman but hes got a shot clocked in excess of 100mph. We havent had a d like that since macinnis. Good chance he slips to the pitt pick.

However if morin is avaliable I would be hard pressed to bypass him

Archived