Penguins Acquire D Murray From Sharks For Draft Picks

flames_93

Who won the trade?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Who won the trade?

• Penguins
    • Sharks

"A day after adding Brendan Morrow, the Pittsburgh Penguins continued to gear up for a Stanley Cup playoff run.

On Monday, the club acquired defenceman Douglas Murray from the San Jose Sharks in exchange for their second round draft pick in the 2013 NHL Draft and a conditional 2014 draft choice.

The 2014 draft choice is conditional upon the Penguins winning two playoff rounds this year or the team re-signing Murray for the 2013-14 season. Should either event occur, the Sharks will receive the Penguins second round selection in 2014, should neither occur, the pick becomes a third-rounder.

The 33-year-old Swede has scored three assists with a minus-eight rating in 29 games with the Sharks this season.

Murray is in the final year of a four-year, $10 million deal he signed with the Sharks prior to the 2009-10 season. That deal carries an average annual value of $2.5 million.

The six-foot-three, 240-pound Swede ranked first on the Sharks in blocked shots (64) third on the team in hits (56) all while managing only 17:09 average time on ice, his lowest total over the past four seasons.

Originally drafted in the eighth round (241st overall) of the 1999 NHL Entry Draft by the Sharks, Murray has scored six goals, added 53 assists and posted a plus-32 rating in 451 career games - all with San Jose"

-TSN

WOW what are you opions? Sorry of spelling mistakes and if this topic is already up.

Link.  http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=419077

I like Doug Murray but he's slowed down a lot and he wasn't really quick to ever begin with.  I'm surprised the Sharks are "selling" while they are right in the thick of a playoff race.  They could actually use an additional body or two to get them over the hump and secure that playoff berth.

I like Doug Murray but he's slowed down a lot and he wasn't really quick to ever begin with.  I'm surprised the Sharks are "selling" while they are right in the thick of a playoff race.  They could actually use an additional body or two to get them over the hump and secure that playoff berth.

He was deemed expendable... i think he was even a healthy scratch at one point this season.  They're better off running with young guys with more potential pop offensively.

a 2nd and another potential 2nd is very good return for a guy 'not in the plans'.

"in exchange for their second round draft pick in the 2013 NHL Draft and a conditional 2014 draft choice."

What a nice return for what started out only an 8th round pick. While the guy is physical and fairly sound defensively, he is a avg skater.

Average is really an overstatement.

As far as NHL dmen go... he is on the bottom rung of the skating and mobility scale.  Well below average.  Take the worst skating Dman on each of the 30 teams... and Murray might be a better skater than 15 of them.

i.e. Alberts is the least mobile and worst skating Canucks Dman... but he's still better in that department than Murray.

Archived