John Ramage

I remember reading that the Flames wanted to sign Ramage and he made the choice to stay at University and play out his career there. I believe they will re sign him becuase he is a player that generally gets talked about during their camps so would be a bit strange to suddenly give up on him.

• 2 weeks later...

I could be wrong about this, but my understanding is typically the contact they sign is for next year not this year. This year they may sign an ATO to play in abbotsford for the rest of the year with their Standard player contract kicking in next year so there is no impact to their contract number this year.

Again, could be wrong but I just know the Flames were maxed out last year and still managed to sign a couple of college free agents.

I could be wrong about this, but my understanding is typically the contact they sign is for next year not this year. This year they may sign an ATO to play in abbotsford for the rest of the year with their Standard player contract kicking in next year so there is no impact to their contract number this year.

Again, could be wrong but I just know the Flames were maxed out last year and still managed to sign a couple of college free agents.

You are exactly right. David Eddy was signed on March 20th out of college last season, to a two year deal that kicked in the 2012/13 season. The Flames were already at 50 contracts upon this signing.

He went on to sign an ATO with the Heat and finished the season there. Brett Kulak is on a ATO with the Heat as well right now.

There is nothing stopping the Flames from signing Ramage or any other college free agent that is playing right now and as soon as St. Cloud is eliminated, Hanowski can be signed as well.

***Edit, they might have to wait until after the trade deadline, though, not sure with the CBA and the late deadline this year, but either way, signings should be happening by Thursday, and by then we should have opened up a few more contract spots anyways.

***Edit, they might have to wait until after the trade deadline, though, not sure with the CBA and the late deadline this year, but either way, signings should be happening by Thursday, and by then we should have opened up a few more contract spots anyways.

College players can start negotiating right after their season is done provided they make the decision to go pro. Trade deadline only has to do with adding standard player contracts to your roster, reserve contacts or signing a future's contract should have no bearing on the trade deadline.

• 11 months later...

Archived