Fire Feaster!

Timhunter54

Ah ok, I wasn't aware that Iginla did not want to re-sign in Calgary. 

Where can I find info on this?

Well given that he's going to wait until the end of the season to evaluate it says a LOT (both his agent and Feaster confirmed this Many times).

So from a management perspective he's obviously on the fence, he has often said he wants to play here on a competitive team and win a cup with said team.

With him being on the fence, with us NOT being competitive and with no realistic shot a cup in the next 2 or 3 years it doesn't take a lot to say the smart decision is to trade him now.

Seriously man use your head, right now you are thinking with your heart and the situations sucks but when emotion is taken out of the equation the only smart move was the one they made.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will judge this trade after I see the two college guys (who from what I can read about them don't sound bad at all, some sites forcast them both as being 2nd line players when it's all said and done.) and what we do with the pick. Maybe we finish with a draft pick outside of the top 5 and use the pick to move up to grab one of the big guys. It's a deep draft. It's good return for a pending UFA that COULD techincally resign here in a few months.

Umm, the fact he was traded. If he wanted an extension, they would have done an extension.

Again, how can you know this?  Seriously, how do you know this was not Feasters idea to move him for youth in a rebuild, rather than Iginla's decision to request a trade out?

Ah ok, I wasn't aware that Iginla did not want to re-sign in Calgary. 

Where can I find info on this?

Well given that he's going to wait until the end of the season to evaluate it says a LOT (both his agent and Feaster confirmed this Many times).

So from a management perspective he's obviously on the fence, he has often said he wants to play here on a competitive team and win a cup with said team.

With him being on the fence, with us NOT being competitive and with no realistic shot a cup in the next 2 or 3 years it doesn't take a lot to say the smart decision is to trade him now.

Seriously man use your head, right now you are thinking with your heart and the situations sucks but when emotion is taken out of the equation the only smart move was the one they made.

Exactly my original point which was apparently overlooked <_< but in my mind it was either what we got for the trade or a bag full of nothing.... 

We Could have avoided all of this speculation and negative stress surrounding trade rumors had Iggy 100% wanted to stay with us. A re-signing would have occurred long before the 11th hour of trade deadline.

~Cheers~

After sitting through the Sutter years and some of the trades he pulled off, I like Feaster. I like the fact he was willing to stick out his neck and promise playoffs. It didn't happen but not for lack of trying.

You talk about the second for Byron trade, big deal. Look at the other trades he did for us. 

Only time will tell if this was a bad trade or not, but I for one like it. 

Iggy hoisting a cup with Sid = Priceless

Again, how can you know this?  Seriously, how do you know this was not Feasters idea to move him for youth in a rebuild, rather than Iginla's decision to request a trade out?

I posted this in the Iginla Trade thread, but here it is again:

Nope.  Iggy's NMC/NTC allowed him to have the final say on where he was going.  He submitted his list of 4, but that (in all honesty) just tells management what teams they should be talking with.  Submitting a list doesn't waive a NTC/NMC.  The most say that Feaster could possibly have is: "here are the deals on the table from the 4 teams you listed.  Where do you want to go?"

As much as it may suck, Iggy had the final say, not Feaster.

Are you stupid or do you have some sort of learning disability.   Honest question.

Why don't you trade him, so he can earn 15 more points as a Flame and THEN walk for nothing?  We aren't going to the playoffs this year and its been obvious for 2 months that this is the case.

In general trades are made in an attempt to make your team better.  We won't know for some time, but I cannot see what Calgary got for Iginla making this team better.  And you put very little faith in Jarome if you think he would just walk away from Calgary, he would have IMO tried to work out a deal with Feaster to stay.

Iggy wanted to play for the Pens and Feaster did the best I think anyone could.

The Pens are loading for Bear and a run on the cup.  They aren't interested in trading roster players or near roster (depth) players because they will need these guys it people get banged up.  One Iggy decided they were the dance partner the best you could hope for is picks and prospects.

The term is "loaded for bare", not "loading for Bear".  I would think that somebody as smart and learning disability free as yourself would know that.  The rumor was that Feaster wanted picks and prospects for Iginla, which would mean it had nothing to do with what Pittsburgh was willing to give re players.

Feaster pulls 2 forwards (we desperately need forwards) who look like they could form a line with our First pick in the last draft.  2-3 years from now if things work out really well they could be something.  The draft pick he got is an unconditional first so it's probably 30th but it's still another pick, one that could be packaged with our second to garner a top 10-15 pick potentially if there is someone who thinks their first choice won't go early.  We were such a dance partner last draft there is certainly the possibility that we will find one this draft.

Additionally Iggy is obviously a pure rental for the Pens so that means that there is potential we could re-sign him and do the song and dance over again.  I didn't think it would be possible but then I didn't think there would be anyone looking at Iggy as purely a rental player.

If the Pens do re-Sign Iggy then they are going to be needing to dump some roster players to make it back under the cap and that means we could be signing those players, hell maybe even trade back the Pens first pick for one of them.

All in all it is the best we could hope for in this situation and an hell of a lot better than what Boston was offering.  If we wanted real assets from Iggy then we needed to trade him when I started calling for it.  Hint Hint that would be 3-4 years ago.  He was in the middle of his contract and still a genuine first liner and would have netted significant return.

At this point, on a good team, he's a 1b / 2 line guy, who is pretty much a rental and who is a UFA at the end of the season.

Seriously what did you people expect back Malkin?? Dupuis??  

No, I would expect better than two unsigned college players who cannot even hit 40 points in College and one very late first rounder for one of the best hockey players ever to set foot on this planet.  Even Dustin Penner got a better return than Iginla did.

Good Lawd!

I, for one, am happy for Iggy and happy for us.  This is the chance to start changing, fundamentally, the culture and identity of the team lets hope Feaster makes the most of it.

I am happy for Iginla too.

Agreed ... Iggy gets to pick, I am sure they can try to sway him one way or the other but Iggy gets the say.

And seriously if I am Iggy and I hear the Pens want to play then I am telling Feaster that is my team.

Iggy , Malkin, Crosby, Sutter, Morrow, Kunitz, Neal, Dupis ... this team is LOADED for bear and Fleury is playing really well.

Look at my sig, I am not thinking with my heart.  If the smart decision were truly made, Iginla would have been traded two years ago for a real return.

Seriously Bronco.

Why would Iggy stay?  Have you been listening to him the last 2 years?

Seriously.

Look at my sig, I am not thinking with my heart.  If the smart decision were truly made, Iginla would have been traded two years ago for a real return.

LOL this we can agree on though I was waking it to be 4 years ago.

You often get what you wait for.  They weren't willing to make the hard decision when we needed it made, they basically waited until it was all but made for them and they got "something" back.

Best case right now is that the prospects pan out.  From reading their boards it seems the Pens fans feel we took their 2 best.  

Who is to say but I honestly don't see how Feaster can play this better given the situation.

Seriously Bronco.

Why would Iggy stay?  Have you been listening to him the last 2 years?

Seriously.

LOL this we can agree on though I was waking it to be 4 years ago.

You often get what you wait for.  They weren't willing to make the hard decision when we needed it made, they basically waited until it was all but made for them and they got "something" back.

Best case right now is that the prospects pan out.  From reading their boards it seems the Pens fans feel we took their 2 best.  

Who is to say but I honestly don't see how Feaster can play this better given the situation.

Yea, I guess when you take a step back and look objectively a better trade would have been nice, but realistically we have teams that know Iginla picked them and he is in the last year of his contract, teams that know Feaster was strapped by a NMC, they knew they didn't have to offer the world because Feasters hands were tied.

yep it sucks HUGE donkey balls but it is what it is.

Personally I am rooting HARD for a Pens Kings final.  Would be nice to have Sutter on Hand to watch Iggy hoist the cup.

Would be awesome if Crosby let him accept the cup even, wonder if the NHL has a rule on this somewhere?

hats off to feastor, are u kidding. why is there so many people on here that talk the talk without a clue on talent. feastor needs to be fired he hasnt got a clue about hockey. king also needs to be fired and hire new scouts. these players calgary got for iginla will be long shot to make it in nhl. this organization is a disgrace and team should be stripped from clueless edwards.

As a huge flames fan i am happy for Iggy to be going to a contender but i am a little confused on this trade. Calgary is trying to rebuilt and this is the best they can get for Iginla. I think Feaster has no sense of being a GM.  The ownership needs to fire Feaster fast because he is not doing anything good. He has been the GM for 3 years and he has brought nothing to Calgary.

FIRE FEASTER NOW!

hats off to feastor, are u kidding. why is there so many people on here that talk the talk without a clue on talent. feastor needs to be fired he hasnt got a clue about hockey. king also needs to be fired and hire new scouts. these players calgary got for iginla will be long shot to make it in nhl. this organization is a disgrace and team should be stripped from clueless edwards.

Its Feaster. Not Feastor. And how do you know that they have a long shot to make it in the NHL? You have some sort of magic talent wand? I havn't looked up much on Agostino, but I know that Hankowski does not look too shabby at all. He adds size up front (a organizational need), is a center/right wing (fills a organizational need) and absolutely tore it up in High School (where he was their team captain), setting records. And now he is averaging over a PPG pace in the NCAA (as his teams captain) and is accomplishing significant progression. 

A first round pick (who knows who that will be) + Agostini (still don't know much about him) + Hankowski is about all we could reasonably expect for a 35 year old, pending UFA rental player who would only allow a trade to 3/4 teams. The pens knew we were hadncuffed with Iggy and while i would have preferred to get Maata or Pouliot or one of pittsburghs better defensive prospects, its obvious that they wern't willing to move them. So we got what we got. And honestly, it will all be worth it if Iggy wins a cup with them :)

As a huge flames fan i am happy for Iggy to be going to a contender but i am a little confused on this trade. Calgary is trying to rebuilt and this is the best they can get for Iginla. I think Feaster has no sense of being a GM.  The ownership needs to fire Feaster fast because he is not doing anything good. He has been the GM for 3 years and he has brought nothing to Calgary.

FIRE FEASTER NOW!

See above + look at all the good players we have in the pipeline in gillies, brossoit, gaudreau, wotherspoon, sieloff, reinhart, etc...

I'd get Burke. Feaster's mistake with the O'Reilly situation should have been his last. A guy who made this bad of a mistake should never be able to make the biggest trade of our recent history and to make the biggest turnaround in this team's recent history. We are rebuilding, and we should start from UP. From King, to Feaster, we need new blood. Feaster clearly cannot rebuild this team. He himself denies it's a rebuild. Again, too many mistakes, too many picks thrown away for a bag of pucks, just too much in so little time. Repetitive failures considering he should have traded Iginla directly when he arrived. Anyways.

I mean, Feaster clearly doesn't get it right. This is frustrating how many mistakes he's made. Even after O'Reilly, I think this one is terrible. If i'm Feaster, I'm clearly telling teams that Iginla will only be traded on april 3rd(deadline day). So until then, EVERYONE has a chance to get him, and the highest bidder just wins. I'm NOT accepting a trade until april 3rd. Why would you do anyways? There is just no reason to accept one early. You wait, wait, wait, and as things heat up and maybe some other pieces are moved (Jagr, Hemsky, etc.),  Jarome's value and the offers go UP. Then, you HAVE to stay in contact with Jarome at ALL time. You HAVE to be aware if he's really willing to be traded to EVERY of the team he gave on the list or there is only one in particular he would accept. As you figure it that Jarome wants to be in pittsburgh, it DOES NOT CHANGE your plan. Keep holding onto him UNTIL APRIL 3rd. Keep telling the teams that they are STILL IN IT, to keep increasing the bids or they will lose on him. But again, if you're aware of the truth, you know he wants to go to Pittsburgh. But this is something SHERO DOES NOT KNOW, SO TAKE FREAKEN ADVANTAGE OF IT. Basically, the longer you hold, the better the return. Now, Feaster, as a total idiot, told Boston they had a deal(even if the deal wasn't even good, the initial deal was actually a robbery by Boston too). Just DON'T tell them you have a deal. TELL THEM, you are front runners, but we do not make the trade as we believe he is worth more. Then you tell Shero that Boston is front runners, but they have not won the trade and that if he wants to add he can still very land Jarome. You wait, you wait.. and if on april 3rd, Shero still HASN'T made a better offer, NOW you do the trade. Doing this stupid trade NOW makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE AT ALL. It was just a panick move when Feaster found out Iginla wouldn't go to Boston after he had completed such a crappy deal. The fact that Feaster was willing to accept such a navajo fry breadty deal even days before the deadline is somewhat unbelievable. 

Again, Feaster just missed on everything, and say it how you want, this season's been horrible for him. O'Reilly was already a JOKE, but this Iginla thing is just as bad. He had no reason to act as quick and act as he did. This guy doesn't think strategy at all or what? What kind of GM is this???

I'd get Burke. Feaster's mistake with the O'Reilly situation should have been his last. A guy who made this bad of a mistake should never be able to make the biggest trade of our recent history and to make the biggest turnaround in this team's recent history. We are rebuilding, and we should start from UP. From King, to Feaster, we need new blood. Feaster clearly cannot rebuild this team. He himself denies it's a rebuild. Again, too many mistakes, too many picks thrown away for a bag of pucks, just too much in so little time. Repetitive failures considering he should have traded Iginla directly when he arrived. Anyways.

Burke seems more like a closer as a GM, not a rebuilder.

I mean, Feaster clearly doesn't get it right. This is frustrating how many mistakes he's made. Even after O'Reilly, I think this one is terrible. If i'm Feaster, I'm clearly telling teams that Iginla will only be traded on april 3rd(deadline day). So until then, EVERYONE has a chance to get him, and the highest bidder just wins. I'm NOT accepting a trade until april 3rd. Why would you do anyways? There is just no reason to accept one early. You wait, wait, wait, and as things heat up and maybe some other pieces are moved (Jagr, Hemsky, etc.),  Jarome's value and the offers go UP. Then, you HAVE to stay in contact with Jarome at ALL time. You HAVE to be aware if he's really willing to be traded to EVERY of the team he gave on the list or there is only one in particular he would accept. As you figure it that Jarome wants to be in pittsburgh, it DOES NOT CHANGE your plan. Keep holding onto him UNTIL APRIL 3rd. Keep telling the teams that they are STILL IN IT, to keep increasing the bids or they will lose on him. But again, if you're aware of the truth, you know he wants to go to Pittsburgh. But this is something SHERO DOES NOT KNOW, SO TAKE FREAKEN ADVANTAGE OF IT. Basically, the longer you hold, the better the return. Now, Feaster, as a total idiot, told Boston they had a deal(even if the deal wasn't even good, the initial deal was actually a robbery by Boston too). Just DON'T tell them you have a deal. TELL THEM, you are front runners, but we do not make the trade as we believe he is worth more. Then you tell Shero that Boston is front runners, but they have not won the trade and that if he wants to add he can still very land Jarome. You wait, you wait.. and if on april 3rd, Shero still HASN'T made a better offer, NOW you do the trade. Doing this stupid trade NOW makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE AT ALL. It was just a panick move when Feaster found out Iginla wouldn't go to Boston after he had completed such a crappy deal. The fact that Feaster was willing to accept such a navajo fry breadty deal even days before the deadline is somewhat unbelievable. 

Again, Feaster just missed on everything, and say it how you want, this season's been horrible for him. O'Reilly was already a JOKE, but this Iginla thing is just as bad. He had no reason to act as quick and act as he did. This guy doesn't think strategy at all or what? What kind of GM is this???

YOu make it seem like being a GM is as simple as it is on EA Sports. There is such thing as a No trade clause, and you might want to look that up. Iginla vetoed every deal but the Pens deal and given that the entire league knows he has a no trade and knows he wants to go to a contender it limits the return.

I'm not Feaster fan but this is not his fault. this is a case of the Flames waiting too long to trade their asset and getting backed into a corner where the player held all the cards. You can't force a player to accept a certain deal when you have a no trade clause and if you do have fun trying to attract a free agent again.

YOu make it seem like being a GM is as simple as it is on EA Sports. There is such thing as a No trade clause, and you might want to look that up. Iginla vetoed every deal but the Pens deal and given that the entire league knows he has a no trade and knows he wants to go to a contender it limits the return.

I'm not Feaster fan but this is not his fault. this is a case of the Flames waiting too long to trade their asset and getting backed into a corner where the player held all the cards. You can't force a player to accept a certain deal when you have a no trade clause and if you do have fun trying to attract a free agent again.

QFT.

Other GM's from around the league arn't just gonna let Feaster dick them around like that... If he did, they would just go and pursue other options. Go and get jagr, or ribeiro, or roy, etc... And then guess what? Feaster is left with no options. Why? Because Iggy only wanted to go to pittsburgh. Sheesh.

Archived