1 St Overall Draft Pick On Waivers

DirtyDeeds

Maybe they are going to play Tim Thomas just on paper... :lol:

Makes you wonder why they would pick up the Thomas contract to gain cap hit, and then make this move that would get $900K in relief under the new CBA...

As you pointed out, Dipietro has 8 years at $4.5 mil remaining on his contract...

Have to wonder what they are up to...

I think its to get him playing time in the AHL and just find his groove... any groove.

Its not helping his confidence to get shelled playing behind a team pretending to play D.

Maybe this takes a little pressure off, and he starts to thrive.... meanwhile, while he's down there (hopefully the rest of the year)... he comes back next yr wih hopefully a superior defense in front of him.

....or maybe just buy him out & get rid of the injury-prone driftwood....

That is a lot of money for a team that had to do some contract juggling just to meet the league floor. I am not sure they are/would be willing to buyout that huge contract just yet.

8x4.5m "Hey boss can I have 36 mil to buy out this sh*t contract we signed?"

He cleared waivers:

86af516f9185c3cbe42709b8d47000a5.png?1361644939

I think its to get him playing time in the AHL and just find his groove... any groove.

I wonder if it isn't just the opposite. send him to the minors, have him ride the pine, so they can limit any chance of him being injured during play. if a player is injured in play they can contest being bought out, while on the IR. I think the Isles want to move away from him, so he will be the backup in the minors, and safely sit on the bench until they can file the paperwork on him.

I wonder if it isn't just the opposite. send him to the minors, have him ride the pine, so they can limit any chance of him being injured during play. if a player is injured in play they can contest being bought out, while on the IR. I think the Isles want to move away from him, so he will be the backup in the minors, and safely sit on the bench until they can file the paperwork on him.

A money losing franchise will NOT decide to completely toss away (8*4.5*0.667) into a fire pit when they are a floor team and can use the salary write off. Also there is a pretty half decent chance Depietro returns to an NHL capable form with any sort of sustained luck in the injury department and if he ever gets to operate behind an NHL caliber D. When did Depietro ever have a top 16 type D in front of him? Is this yr the best he's ever had? Kinda sad if true... And kinda difficult to have any chance of looking like a great goalie.

It actually makes next to zero sense business wise/ cap wise/ asset wise to not utilize him while you have him - either as a backup, or leading the A. Who knows, they might also luck out and he starts having career yrs and developing consistency that has eluded him during his career. . Otherwise you are talking about taking $24 million dollars and lighting a fire to it. I don't see that happening.

A money losing franchise will NOT decide to completely toss away (8*4.5*0.667) into a fire pit when they are a floor team and can use the salary write off. Also there is a pretty half decent chance Depietro returns to an NHL capable form with any sort of sustained luck in the injury department and if he ever gets to operate behind an NHL caliber D. When did Depietro ever have a top 16 type D in front of him? Is this yr the best he's ever had? Kinda sad if true... And kinda difficult to have any chance of looking like a great goalie.

It actually makes next to zero sense business wise/ cap wise/ asset wise to not utilize him while you have him - either as a backup, or leading the A. Who knows, they might also luck out and he starts having career yrs and developing consistency that has eluded him during his career. . Otherwise you are talking about taking $24 million dollars and lighting a fire to it. I don't see that happening.

Unless the rumors Wang is finally ready to throw in the towel are true.

All that cap could let the new guys make a splash while other teams cut salary over the summer. Bring a winner from the Island to Brooklyn.

They have enough cap already for plenty of splashes.

Rumors are just that. I wouldnt put much stock into them when they make as little sense as these ones do. Taking $24 mil and flushing it down the toilet. 24 million. Not 2.4 mil.. 24 mil. I think he's learned a thing or two about it with the Yashin experience.

• 2 weeks later...

So first Dipietro... and then Hamrlik.

Anyone wanna place bets on who the next 1st overall pick to hit the waiver wire will be?

Active candidates are...

Jovanoski ('94)

Phillips ('96)

Thornton ('97)

Kovalchuk ('01)

Nash ('02)

Fleury ('03)

Ovechkin ('04)

Crosby ('05)

E. Johnson ('06)

Kane ('07)

Stamkos ('08)

Tavares ('09)

An Oiler ('10), ('11), ('12)

Or will it be Hamrlik or DiPietro again before any of those others ?

I would order it like this...

1. Repeat of the one of the 2..

2. Jovo.

3. Fleury.

Archived