Tim Thomas Traded To The Isles

Zirakzigil

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=415479

The Boston Bruins have traded goaltender Tim Thomas to the New York Islanders in exchange for a conditional draft pick in 2014 or 2015.

Interesting move. The condition on the pick must be if he actually plays a game. This move is being reported as purely for salary cap purposes, but it would be funny if they tolled his contract for next year.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=415479

Interesting move. The condition on the pick must be if he actually plays a game. This move is being reported as purely for salary cap purposes, but it would be funny if they tolled his contract for next year.

Fan 960 says the Isles have been playing under the cap floor all year. They had until tomorrow to comply or face heavy fines.

Front loaded contracts are obvious cap circumvention.

Wouldn't counting a player you aren't paying against the cap be the same?

I hear what you are saying, but I do not believe the league can interpret it as circumvention due to the fact that the onus is on the player to honor his contract and show up to play as he is not injured... He fails to do so by choice, hence they in turn do not have to pay him... I don't like the ability to make the move just to get over the cap floor, but it's legit...

Either way, I think it is safe to say his days in Boston were over one way or another... :lol:

Front loaded contracts are obvious cap circumvention.

Wouldn't counting a player you aren't paying against the cap be the same?

Daly said that the NHL does not consider it circumvention because Tim is under contract and expected to honor that contract. Which pretty much means that the NHL knows this is total BS but is not willing to do anything about it.

Archived