I Don't Get What's Happening To Irving?

What's happening to him? First, I thought he was on a 1-way deal. Secondly, I thought he could not play in the AHL because he would have to go through waivers. After all, he didn't start the year in Abbotsford, didn't he? Unless he started and got outplayed by both Taylor and Brust and fell into the 3rd spot. I'd like to know what's happening with him.. or do they just not like him down there? I know Brust and Taylor have been very good, but i'm still wondering why wasn't Irving given the number one spot right away if he was AHL eligable at first?

He didn't earn the starting duties. Both Taylor and Brust were better in camp.

The mandate with both the Heat and Flames is the people who earn the ice time will get the ice time.

so looking at the stats below......

Who is earning it?

92b9ec58857785e1d4a73865d24b736e.png?1352952694

Also with the strike players who meet certain conditions( I think # of games played or something) did not have to clear waivers. Irving did not have to clear.

Note: a 1 way deal only means he will get paid a set amount no matter where he plays. A two way deal means he gets paid a different amount should he end up in a different(AHL league)

I remember there was a deadline that hockey clubs had to have those players who they were sending down to the AHL. I think the 15th of sept. I remember a list floating around a thread here of who the Flames put on that list.

Leland Irving is on a two way contract with the Flames worth $687,500 at the NHL level and $207,500 at the AHL level.

The deadline to send a player down to the AHL without clearing waivers was indeed Sept. 15th, due to the expiring CBA, but otherwise, I believe it is 7 days before the start of the season in which the player would play (CHL, AHL, NCAA etc.) However, had he have been sent down before Sept 15th, he would have to clear re-entry waivers upon being recalled by the Flames, if an NHL season ever does commence.

So the Heat signed Irving to a professional tryout agreement, (and the only way they could do this, was because he finished last season with the Heat), and if an NHL season ever begins, Irving can be recalled without clearing re-entry waivers.

As for why he isn't starting, I would suspect that is because he wouldn't be there if there wasn't a lockout. I'd say moreso, for conditioning, but if the season is cancelled completely, he might get more starts, and could challenge for #1, although, with the play of Taylor and Brust, as of late, that could be a tough feat.

Good god, I would not want to play against the Heat this year. 2 high-end scoring lines, a solid energy line, plenty of depth to rotate game-in and game-out, a team system that gives you absolutely no room to breathe, and then the triple-headed tandem of Taylor, Irving and Brust. You can't outscore....heck, you can't even score on them PERIOD, you can't outgrind them, Sven and Horak'd just KILL you if you tried to turn it into an open game and even if you shut one line down you've got 2 more that you have to deal with.

I think this year's Heat may just be the class of the AHL West. Nice to know that Sven, Reinhart and the rest are developing on a powerhouse program.

oh okay.. there is only the Calgary Flames to have their NHL back-up being the 3rd goalie at the AHL level. This just doesn't make ANY sense at all.

Sincerely paying respect to Brust and Taylor. You cannot take anything away from them, they have been perfect. Irving hasn't been bad either too. But the other two have been unbeatable. It's just a funny situation a guy who's supposed to back-up ur NHL team cannot crack the top 2 in the AHL. First time it's been seen in AHL/NHL history probably.

Although there does not appear to be a season happening the question seems to be is he really going to be the backup?

I know that was the thought at the end of last year but..

With Feasters big interview stating that those who earn it will get the ice time, does that now mean Irving would get pushed back?

Anyone know where Karlsson is? Is he playing somewhere?

As GM do you now offer Brust and Taylor a contract and let them compete for backup up here?

Do we even want to go to that thought of what if any of them outplays Kipper during training camp?

Although there does not appear to be a season happening the question seems to be is he really going to be the backup?

I know that was the thought at the end of last year but..

With Feasters big interview stating that those who earn it will get the ice time, does that now mean Irving would get pushed back?

Anyone know where Karlsson is? Is he playing somewhere?

As GM do you now offer Brust and Taylor a contract and let them compete for backup up here?

Do we even want to go to that thought of what if any of them outplays Kipper during training camp?

I don't know that 5-10 good AHL games get you an NHL back-up role, or even just a thought if outplaying Kipper for the starting job. There has been goalies killing the AHL for years and years who have never gotten the chance of even playing a back-up role. I believe they have both been excellent, but it is partly due to the Heat's brillant defensive play. The fact that wether Irving, Brust or Taylor is in the net doesn't make any difference (as Heat just wins them all), proves me somewhat right IMO. They both, IMO, aren't NHL goaltenders. I could be wrong and I hope they do prove me wrong, but let's face it as it right now. They're ''hot'' and that's it.

They both, IMO, aren't NHL goaltenders. I could be wrong and I hope they do prove me wrong, but let's face it as it right now. They're ''hot'' and that's it.

True, but they are still exciting to watch. Barry Brust is one period of play away from setting an AHL record for consecutive shutout minutes.

That record is currently held by a familiar goalie, named, Johnny Bower,

Mind you, Bower might have played more consecutive games to earn that feat, but a record is a record, and I think it would be something incredible, if Brust took out Johnny Bower's AHL record!!!

Hopefully he gets the start on Sunday!

If a GM like Sutter was at the helm I would agree that players like Brust, Taylor, and McCarthy would have very little chance of receiving an NHL contract. But Feaster seems to listen to his team. Hartley and Ward will probably have influence on that decision and those guys like their guys (Hartley-McCarthy, Ward-Taylor/Brust).

That said, I still think that Irving will be given the chance at the back-up position and they will only look at bringing on one of the other goalies if he falters.

I don't know that 5-10 good AHL games get you an NHL back-up role, or even just a thought if outplaying Kipper for the starting job. There has been goalies killing the AHL for years and years who have never gotten the chance of even playing a back-up role. I believe they have both been excellent, but it is partly due to the Heat's brillant defensive play. The fact that wether Irving, Brust or Taylor is in the net doesn't make any difference (as Heat just wins them all), proves me somewhat right IMO. They both, IMO, aren't NHL goaltenders. I could be wrong and I hope they do prove me wrong, but let's face it as it right now. They're ''hot'' and that's it.

Just a note about the underlined. Irving is playing behind the same good Heat defense too and is being outperformed by the other goalies. I don't think it is fair to say they are performing better due to that Defense when they are all under the same umbrella.

Edit: Unless there is a problem with Irving and his getting along with the team/coach. If that is the case and that is a problem, then now is the time to find it out.

True, but they are still exciting to watch. Barry Brust is one period of play away from setting an AHL record for consecutive shutout minutes.

That record is currently held by a familiar goalie, named, Johnny Bower,

Mind you, Bower might have played more consecutive games to earn that feat, but a record is a record, and I think it would be something incredible, if Brust took out Johnny Bower's AHL record!!!

Hopefully he gets the start on Sunday!

Bowers AHL shutout record was 249:51 and goes all the way back to the 57 - 58 season...

Brust is at 231:41, so he only needs another 18:11 to beat it...

It would be great to see him get the record, so go Brust!!!

I have watched all games that Irving has thus far played until this point this year and I noticed the difference in his games from the get go. Irving didn't until last night have his super aggressive style that he is used to playing. Irving when he is on top of his game does not play at all in the blue crease, He is a super aggressive goalies who always optimizes on his ability on closing on the net via staying higher up. He is not the biggest goalie either so this is of course a good thing, The game in which he won he had advanced a bit further out but in the game he was blanked he was staying a little bit farther than normal. He also looks like he was nursing a slight leg injury or something as I noticed his side to side skating was not as quick as normal, but last night oh my, he played a super great game highlighted with some nice saves and plays super aggressive to the puck handler.

Irving is a very solid goalie, and is leaps and bounds in front of Taylor and Brust despite being many years younger than the other tenders we have in the A. We have absolutely nothing to worry about with Irving guys, Irving has dominated at every single level he has so far played in, and has arguably been in his final years the best goalie in each the WHL and last year and the year before the best in the AHL, or at least arguably for the AHL. Irving will have a lengthy NHL career guys, and will probably end up in his prime being a top 15 goalie in the NHL.

The worst part is that his game reminds me so much of Kippers, He never loses his cool, has good side to side movement and has somewhat of the same stance. He isn't as athletic or flexible as Kipper but certainly has similarities in his game.

Taylor has been on a hot streak, Irving will continue to dominate the AHL. He has for the three past years despite having some very sub par teams.

Anybody know why Brust was a scratch last night?

Brust was just a healthy scratch because Irving got the start. You can only dress two, and it was his turn.

Irving has yet to be a Heat backup. Either he is a healthy scratch or he starts.

As much as I want Brust to break the record, I think with a three-headed monster, Taylor gets the start and Brust is there for backup.

Hard to say.

Brust was just a healthy scratch because Irving got the start. You can only dress two, and it was his turn.

Irving has yet to be a Heat backup. Either he is a healthy scratch or he starts.

As much as I want Brust to break the record, I think with a three-headed monster, Taylor gets the start and Brust is there for backup.

Hard to say.

I do not want to sound rude or anything but the last game that Brust played Irving was the back-up. This is not the case, Irving has been a back-up.

wow, Irving looks horrible today! Poor puck control, too many rebounds, and bad decision making.

He's allowed more goals today (5) then the Heat have allowed previously in the entire month of November and the game isn't over yet. Can't watch anymore!

The Heat didn't help out much offensively, well they did nothing really. Couldn't even keep puck possession on a 50 second 5 on 3.

Awful game to watch!

I do not want to sound rude or anything but the last game that Brust played Irving was the back-up. This is not the case, Irving has been a back-up.

I stand corrected. Was just going off the top of my head as he hadn't played much.

I stand corrected. Was just going off the top of my head as he hadn't played much.

Awful game to watch? Irving hasn't ever tickled my fancy. He reminds me of Roman Turek. Very stiff, gets the odd glory shutout (vs canucks last year), but nothing to write home about. Even during the Karlsson vs Irving bout last year, I preferred Karlsson.

Taylor's style is more fluent between the pipes, and Brust is not your orthodox goalie, but he is VERY fun to watch.

wow, Irving looks horrible today! Poor puck control, too many rebounds, and bad decision making.

Irving's overall play was sloppy today, as was the rest of the team for the most part...

The heat got spanked today...

That said, if Irving wants a steady backup job in the big league, he really has to step up his play and be more consistent...

• 4 months later...
Posted · Hidden by The_People1, April 13, 2013 - spam
Hidden by The_People1, April 13, 2013 - spam

Viva Паркет предлагает купить высококачественный паркет с доставкой. инженерная доска, модульный паркет, пробковые полы и своевременные паркетные работы по умеренным расценкам. Паркетная доска

Archived