Myth: Flames Lack Skill

JTech780

I don't quite get the misconception that Calgary lacks skill and that need to aquire skilled players like Radulov or Semin to address this. Skilled wingers especially is not Calgary's problem. I will agree that they lack skill down the middle.

With Iginla, Tanguay, Cammalleri, Glencross, Baertschi Calgary's top 6 winger situatuion is just fine. I would like to see an upgrade on Stajan, Cervenka, Backlund who will be competing for the top 6 center roles. But I still don't see skill as a huge problem for this team.

Getting a consistent effort from the forwards, now that is a different story all together and in my opinion that is the real problem. Hopefully that is something Hartley can address.

GF dropped from 250 to 202 last season. While we may not lack skill the skill could use some upgrades. When you see thread about people wanting to bring in Semin or a Radulov then they want to improve our scoring.

I agree our centers are indeed lacking and if we are not able to or not going to sign Joker it appears even more dismal without some signing of an upgrade for him too.

Its your opinion its a myth.

my opinion is we have Tanguay, Cammalleri, Baertschi these 3 who can stick handle not counting J-bo since hes on the back end and wont be going one on one to often. lots goes into what makes skill like passing , shooting, defense, positionally sound, skating ect... when you look at all this we lack skill. not to mention the slackers like joker who during a contract yr plays decent and everyone suddenly wants to hand him 5 mil :blink: :blink: and calls it a bargain.

Glencross has speed and plays consistent but has peeked and only if he can continue will i consider him. as you said we are weak down the middle and have been for longer than i would care to remember which has to be addressed. you can't comment on Cervenka since nobody really knows what he can or can't do yet so i think your premature on that. hes an unknown so im not going to pencil him in anywhere just yet.

we have a lot of work still to do and absolutely need skill since we have way to many 3rd and 4th line guys. I remember everyone claiming Backlund as the next #1 center here in the forums not more than a yr and a half ago bashing anyone who stated otherwise. He has had struggles and issues but I think most of that stems from that garbage philosophy of defence defence defence and hope we get a chance for a garbage goal as opposed to going out and trying to it happen.

the bottom line is its still a wait and see scenario. I do see some improvement and the sweeping changes they are doing but we still have some bad contracts like Stajan's unless he can turn it around with a more aggressive and cycling system i suspect we will see and hope for.

I agree if you want to talk about wingers. Flames have a solid group of top 6 wingers, but bottom 6 could be improved but that's easy to do. No question though Flames are light on centers and light on skilled centers as well as light on skill on the blueline. So overal, no I don't think it's a myth they need more talent they just need it in specific places not everyone like some people thnk.

I don't quite get the misconception that Calgary lacks skill and that need to aquire skilled players like Radulov or Semin to address this. Skilled wingers especially is not Calgary's problem. I will agree that they lack skill down the middle.

With Iginla, Tanguay, Cammalleri, Glencross, Baertschi Calgary's top 6 winger situatuion is just fine. I would like to see an upgrade on Stajan, Cervenka, Backlund who will be competing for the top 6 center roles. But I still don't see skill as a huge problem for this team.

Getting a consistent effort from the forwards, now that is a different story all together and in my opinion that is the real problem. Hopefully that is something Hartley can address.

I disagree. I think the flames have skilled "left wingers." The right side is decidely weak, and IMO, it's just a stop gap to throw left wingers on the right side.

I agree with Castle. LW is decent with Tanguay, Cammalleri, and Baertschi. Though none are going to wow you with puck skills.

We have some skill players at C with Backlund, Cervenka, and Stajan.

Brodie is our only real skill player on D.

We have no RW skill players. Thought LW can come over.

I think the coaching change will be good for the above players. And Feaster is improving the overall skill level. But I don't think a lack of skill is a myth.

I think this dates back a couple years. Since feaster has taken over he has increased both the skill and speed of this team substantially. unfortunatly we have taken a step back in the size department to get where we are. I personally think we are now a better team now then a couple years back but thats debatable.

Fact is we are a completely different team. Still built around the same two superstars but still very different.

Flames lack skill at center and lack a skilled #1 defenseman. Other then that the team is pretty decent. However that #1 center runs your top line and that skilled #1 defenseman controls the rush and your powerplay, which is part of the Flames problem as a team, with the other major problem being consistency.

We definitely have allot of skill up front and hopefully a new system will put that on display, Sutter really seamed to suffocate that at times. What I think were missing are those players that make your team tough to play against and go out and create energy through physical play.

Its strange how a couple of years ago we had a abundance of those types of guys and now we seem to be over loaded with small skill types. Hopefully we can get a good mix that will gel well as a team.

I think the consensus here, which is what the truth appears to be, is that we do lack high end skill. We have plenty of skill, most NHL teams do.

We have LW Skill, RW Skill, Bottom 9 Skill, 2/3/4 Defensemen Skill, Excellent Goaltending Skill.

But we don`t have our #1 Center or our #1 Defenseman either.

We have patchjobs that have somewhat worked, with Jokinen as our #1C (although he`s so much better playing 2nd line, in my opinion) and Bouwmeester playing #1D (but he just doesn`t seem to be the same JBouw he was in Florida).

I think however, with the right coach (Hartley), Giordano and Bouwmeester could work out to be an excellent 1/2 pair if Bouwmeester can elevate his offensive game.

Jokinen can be our #1C( due to a lack of options), but hopefully we can see the emergence of Cervenka or Backlund.

It`s a guessing game really. Acquiring a #1C, or possibly a #1D, could be our ticket to the playoffs.

Archived