With The 14th Overall Pick - Who Do You Want? (2012 Version)

Louis23

Generally at 14th most likely fallers are D men or you can get #1 goalie. Since the D prospects on both CSS and ISS is possible a forward could slip but only if the other 13 teams are keying on the D. I'm guessing alot will still go with forwards in top 13 as the D are harder for scouts to analyze.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to Craig Buttons latest draft ranking Mikhail Grigorenko is going to go 14th. Man I would be pumped if he dropped that far. It seems like quite a plunge because of an injury. Does anyone know how far Backland fell with his injury? From my understanding they are similar injuries between the two.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

that wasn't his mock draft. it was his ranking for top 2012 drafted players in the next 3 years

At 14th I would like Breanden Gaunce, or cody ceci

that wasn't his mock draft. it was his ranking for top 2012 drafted players in the next 3 years

At 14th I would like Breanden Gaunce, or cody ceci

Wouldn't mind Ceci at all. Especially at 14t.

I really want to pass on Gaunce. I don't like his projection.. .He seems to much like the safe pick... If we want a safe pick, I'd rather draft Maata.

Collberg, Finn, KoekKoek would all be good choices.

• 2 weeks later...

Id like to see us try and trade up a couple of spots to secure Radek Faska, he looks like he could be the perfect center to go along with Sven!

The question is: Who do you trade with? Faksa could be 7th BPA to the team picking 7th, or could get passed all 13 picks and land at us? Is he truly worth trading for? (I personally don't think so) What team would you trade with? And what would you give up?

I think there are going to be a few good pick ups at 14th, so I'd like us to stay the course.

- Olli Maata (Huge steal if he land him.I think he is at worst a 3/4 D with top pair upside)

- Derek Pouilot (Could see a Kris Letang light version here. solid 3/4 with skill)

- Sebastian Collberg (potential top 6 forward. Best shot in the draft.)

- Matt Finn (3/4 probably. potential top pairing upside.)

I've gained trust in our scouts/management after last draft. I can't wait for June 22nd!

The question is: Who do you trade with? Faksa could be 7th BPA to the team picking 7th, or could get passed all 13 picks and land at us? Is he truly worth trading for? (I personally don't think so) What team would you trade with? And what would you give up?

I think there are going to be a few good pick ups at 14th, so I'd like us to stay the course.

- Olli Maata (Huge steal if he land him.I think he is at worst a 3/4 D with top pair upside)

- Derek Pouilot (Could see a Kris Letang light version here. solid 3/4 with skill)

I've gained trust in our scouts/management after last draft. I can't wait for June 22nd!

great analysis man! I love your comparisons. I personaly would draft a defense man Say olli Maata, or Derek Pouilot. I would draft Olli Maata over derek because Olli is a well rounded player that plays great defense and soild offense. Derek tends to make big gambles overs some offensive plays that end up costing his team, but he is a very smart offnsive defense man. I Personaly think that he is just a little more of a highly skilled T.j brodie then anything. This team should draft a defense man that can play great defense, and Olli is said to be the best defensive defense man in the draft. We lack these types of defensive prospects, so I would say that Olli would be the smartest choice for this team on june 22.

great analysis man! I love your comparisons. I personaly would draft a defense man Say olli Maata, or Derek Pouilot. I would draft Olli Maata over derek because Olli is a well rounded player that plays great defense and soild offense. Derek tends to make big gambles overs some offensive plays that end up costing his team, but he is a very smart offnsive defense man. I Personaly think that he is just a little more of a highly skilled T.j brodie then anything. This team should draft a defense man that can play great defense, and Olli is said to be the best defensive defense man in the draft. We lack these types of defensive prospects, so I would say that Olli would be the smartest choice for this team on june 22.

Other than Breen, Ramage, Leach, Lamb and Wotherspoon

Other than Breen, Ramage, Leach, Lamb and Wotherspoon

Breen- boarder line Bust

Ramage- yes

Leach- 5th-6th defense man

Wotherspoon i- is a 3rd- 4th at best

all of our defensive prospects except 2 are low in potential, so I don't know why you would try and justify that we have good defensive prospects by listing them.

You claimed that we lack defensive prospects.

I pointed out that we have several. (I never said any of them were destined to be Weber).

As for the conversation of Maata vs Pouliot... I would rather have Reinhart over either.

It will be an interesting draft - so many of the prospects very widely, depending on who is doing the ranking. For instance, I have seen both Dumba and Galchenyuk ranked as high as 2nd and as low as 16th. Maata anywhere from 8th to 20th. Same for Reinhart and Pouliot.

You claimed that we lack defensive prospects.

I pointed out that we have several. (I never said any of them were destined to be Weber).

As for the conversation of Maata vs Pouliot... I would rather have Reinhart over either.

It will be an interesting draft - so many of the prospects very widely, depending on who is doing the ranking. For instance, I have seen both Dumba and Galchenyuk ranked as high as 2nd and as low as 16th. Maata anywhere from 8th to 20th. Same for Reinhart and Pouliot.

I agree, I would rather have Reinhart over Maata too. Looking at most scouts mock drafts thus far have Reinhart in the top 11. I just think Maata is more realistic at our position. Both would be steals IMO.

Either would instantly become our best defensive prospect (in terms of ceiling)

BPA.

Thanks Bernard. I try and watch as much WHL/OHL as possible. (more than the NHL). I think Derek Pouilot has very similar skating to Brodie. I think Pouilot will have a much better offensive upside though.. I can see a 40pt Dman in the making.

I am sure the team will look for third or fourth line depth. At least that is better than any suggestion Craig Button has ever thought up.

I'm not sure what you mean?

- inject our pick into the 3/4th line this coming season?

or

- draft a 3/4th line player?

Both would be bad.

I am sure the team will look for third or fourth line depth. At least that is better than any suggestion Craig Button has ever thought up.

Are you mad! why in the world wouled upper management want to do that?? We have loads of prospects that are destined to the 3rd and fourth lines, so why would they want to draft another 3rd-4th liner when they can draft a soild defense man, or a soild 2nd liner?? If Jay did take your advice he would be run out of town within an hour!

Pkg our 1st and maybe some one like kolanos or connely and send em to the Ducks, lol Im not sure if thats enough but I do feel we need to get ahead of washington to grab this kid and it would be nice to see us grab a center with true 1st line potential. At this point and time it should be the number one priority.

Pkg our 1st and maybe some one like kolanos or connely and send em to the Ducks, lol Im not sure if thats enough but I do feel we need to get ahead of washington to grab this kid and it would be nice to see us grab a center with true 1st line potential. At this point and time it should be the number one priority.

Would you trade outside of the top 10 for one of those players? Of course not.

Would you trade outside of the top 10 for one of those players? Of course not.

well obviously man, Im just throwing a name out there for the sake of it but Aniheim has been known to pick up worse crap then that (Hagmen)... You cant make any suggestions on this board, had I said Backlund some one would have come back and said "why would you trade your 1st and a established player to move up 4 spots" yet I see ridiculous trade scenarios that would involve replacing and trading half our roster for guys we will never get and no one bats an eye lol.

well obviously man, Im just throwing a name out there for the sake of it but Aniheim has been known to pick up worse crap then that (Hagmen)... You cant make any suggestions on this board, had I said Backlund some one would have come back and said "why would you trade your 1st and a established player to move up 4 spots" yet I see ridiculous trade scenarios that would involve replacing and trading half our roster for guys we will never get and no one bats an eye lol.

Hagman was a waiver acquisition. Not only did they not pay anything for him, half the salary was kept by the Flames.

And Anaheim is drafting 6th, so they're a lot more than 4 spots ahead of the Flames.

Making a trade deal is hard. Your deal is underwhelming which rightfully incites criticism. Your Backlund example is overpayment, which again deserves criticism. You want to be within proper value.

Those extremely long trade scenarios at least have some logic. At least, some of them do. Even if they'll never happen they are on par or close to it for value.

Hagman was a waiver acquisition. Not only did they not pay anything for him, half the salary was kept by the Flames.

And Anaheim is drafting 6th, so they're a lot more than 4 spots ahead of the Flames.

Making a trade deal is hard. Your deal is underwhelming which rightfully incites criticism. Your Backlund example is overpayment, which again deserves criticism. You want to be within proper value.

Those extremely long trade scenarios at least have some logic. At least, some of them do. Even if they'll never happen they are on par or close to it for value.

Actually I don't know that Backlund and the 14-overall gets you the 6-overall. Backlund's value is at an all time low at the moment I think. He doesn't have that top 5 hype that Turris did. He suffered through injuries last season and didn't put up the numbers when he was healthy. His ELC is about to expire.

Yes I know Hagman was picked up for nothing on our tab, I understand how waivers work hes merely one example of how Anaheim likes to use left overs to fill there roster and there for we do have a chance to come out on top with them as a trading partner, Beachemin for Joffrey Lupul and Jake Gardiner is another example of overvaluing players and not appreciating there own assets

Im trying to get the conversation started in a new direction, what is the price to move up? do we have the expendable assets to do it? and if so what would they be? I through those names out because they are expendable.

its easy to criticize some ones suggestion and find the holes in there logic but whats the use if your not going to add something to the conversation?

Yes I know Hagman was picked up for nothing on our tab, I understand how waivers work hes merely one example of how Anaheim likes to use left overs to fill there roster and there for we do have a chance to come out on top with them as a trading partner, Beachemin for Joffrey Lupul and Jake Gardiner is another example of overvaluing players and not appreciating there own assets

Im trying to get the conversation started in a new direction, what is the price to move up? do we have the expendable assets to do it? and if so what would they be? I through those names out because they are expendable.

its easy to criticize some ones suggestion and find the holes in there logic but whats the use if your not going to add something to the conversation?

It would cost to much. I honestly don't see what we have that we would give up and would entice them. Especially without another 1st or our 2nd. Most of the roster players we have that they want probably won't waive their NTC to go to Anaheim. Perhaps we could trade for another mid-round first and bundle those together, but I would rather have the two firsts. We can't afford to give up the type of prospects needed to move up to 6.

I am also not sure why we would want to. Draft projections are all over the map this year.

I would like one of Faksa, Galchenyuk, Collberg, or Gaunce and chances are at least one of them is available come 14. And if they aren't then chances are a player like Ceci, Reinhart, Trouba, or Teravainen has slipped.

I think Dumba, Yakupov, Foresberg, and Murray are all gone top 5 so getting up to 6 doesn't help you. After that the projections are a dogs breakfast. I wouldn't mind moving up to 11 or so to give us a better chance at one of the above players (darn wining the last 2-games). But I don't think it would be worth moving up to 6.

Archived