With The 14th Overall Pick - Who Do You Want? (2012 Version)

Louis23

Now that I'm sure we're picking 14th, I'd like a Cody Ceci, please. Or Derrick Pouliot. Or if those don't work, Pontus Aberg works out for me too. Swedish forward who skates and drives the net hard, and really has a knack for scoring. We seem to lack some of that beyond our top line....I've heard some comparisons to Marcus Johansson out of WSH, if he has that kind of impact for us then I'm all ears.

-I'd rather draft Collberg instead of Aberg. I feel he's the better player.

-I think Faksa will be gone before 14th.

-I know Tera has been getting recognition lately (top 10 in some scouts eyes) but I thought for sure he would potentially be available at 14. Button is a bit of a tard sometime, but it does have me thinking he will be off the board at 14. :(

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still on board with Collberg. We need to draft the player with the highest ceiling available at 14th, which is probably Collberg. There are safer picks, but this organization has plenty of safe pluggers drafted in the first round. We need a guy with potential first line ability. That's Collberg. He might be a bust, but he's probably the only one with real potential to be a star at 14th overall.

Otherwise we are just drafting another 3rd line centre or winger. Yawn.

I'm still on board with Collberg. We need to draft the player with the highest ceiling available at 14th, which is probably Collberg. There are safer picks, but this organization has plenty of safe pluggers drafted in the first round. We need a guy with potential first line ability. That's Collberg. He might be a bust, but he's probably the only one with real potential to be a star at 14th overall.

Otherwise we are just drafting another 3rd line centre or winger. Yawn.

Exactly.

I've heard (read) some scouts that say he has the best wrist shot in the entire draft. He has explosive speed, with high hockey IQ. I think the only downfalls to his game would be his size... maybe transitioning his game to NA? Either way, I have a feeling he will be a top 2 winger in the NHL after development.

There is also so much recent hype about Teuvo Teravainen. I've liked the guy all year, and will be crossing my fingers he drops to us. His game (play) reminds me a little of Mike Riberio. (two different positions I know.)

1. Teuvo

2. Collberg.

Crossing my fingers.

I think the only downfalls to his game would be his size... maybe transitioning his game to NA?

5'11", 180lbs isn't exactly a huge liability. We aren't talking flyweight RNH here. Collberg isn't a physical force, but he's big enough not to be a huge liability. He was solid and stood his ground with the rest of them at the WJHC. If he can put on 10 pounds before the NHL, he'll be just fine.

He's a good choice. And we really need some RW depth too, we have NONE.

5'11", 180lbs isn't exactly a huge liability. We aren't talking flyweight RNH here. Collberg isn't a physical force, but he's big enough not to be a huge liability. He was solid and stood his ground with the rest of them at the WJHC. If he can put on 10 pounds before the NHL, he'll be just fine.

He's a good choice. And we really need some RW depth

too, we have NONE.

I am not against drafting Collberg, the only thing for is that I keep comparing him Tedenby, and that has me a but worried. I know Collberg has top end skill I am just not convinced that he will be able to transition his game to the NHL. Will he be able to get to the high traffic areas and fight through checks to get his scoring chances.

I am not against drafting Collberg, the only thing for is that I keep comparing him Tedenby, and that has me a but worried. I know Collberg has top end skill I am just not convinced that he will be able to transition his game to the NHL. Will he be able to get to the high traffic areas and fight through checks to get his scoring chances.

Sure, there is a risk of a Tedenby outcome. But also a Kane or Giroux upside. I'm not 100% convinced Collberg can play in the NHL either. I don't think he's a sure fire pick by any means. I don't know if Collberg will play one NHL game, and there are players at 14th I can guarntee you will play in the NHL.

But you can't draft a star at 14th without taking considerable risk. We can take a surefire third line centre at 14th... but why? We need to take the big risk and go for the potential star sniper, even if it means we could end up with a bust. That's the reality of drafting 14th. Hell, the Bear was a risky pick last year with big questions about whether his game could translate to the NHL.

That's just life at 14th overall. I hope the organization takes the risky high potential pick over the safe 3rd line plugger.

If Faksa is available he is absolutely the pick. But I doubt he makes it that far. D often fall so perhaps one of the top guys falls to us.

I think moving up to get one of Grigerenko, Dumba, Reinhart, or Faksa would be worthwhile. Perhaps trading up to Washington's pick will be possible if one of those four drops down.

Dumba in particular. Calgary born, full package, RH shot ..... He could be picked early though.

Even though we draft the best available it does not take away from our needs.

The following would be among my choices should we change strategies and pick for our needs.

Centers

Zemgus Girgensons (Dubuque, USHL)

Radek Faksa (Kitchener Rangers, OHL)

Wingers

Teuvo Teräväinen (Jokerit, SM-liiga)*Shoots left but plays RW

Martin Frk (Halifax, QMJHL)

Defense

Cody Ceci (Ottawa 67’s, OHL)

Derrick Pouliot (Portland, WHL)

Even though we draft the best available it does not take away from our needs.

Agreed... At this point in time... And with what I believe is best for the team, I think the Flames need to look at needs by priority... That and the potential ceiling of a given player...

Agreed... At this point in time... And with what I believe is best for the team, I think the Flames need to look at needs by priority... That and the potential ceiling of a given player...

I mentioned in another thread that we need to move up in the draft. High enough to draft a top Center with enough upside to be a #1C. If he turns out to be a #2C then fine that fits too.

When we traded away Reggie we left a big #2-3D hole. That would be my next on the list of needs. If this draft is truly deep in D then now might be the best time to get what we need.

69dabbf35b0614b2d399621b13844e85.png?1334189163

Wingers we have lots of although we are low on Top Level RW's. Big drop in talent after Iggy and nothing top level up and coming.

He probably is, but I feel that Collberg will be gone before we pick. So I don't consider him that much. If he drops then by all means take him, I want him on this team, but that's a big if.

I'd rather draft Yakupov instead of Aberg. I feel he's the better player. Great and all, but just about every scouting report I have seen has him going before the Flames pick.

He probably is, but I feel that Collberg will be gone before we pick. So I don't consider him that much. If he drops then by all means take him, I want him on this team, but that's a big if.

I'd rather draft Yakupov instead of Aberg. I feel he's the better player. Great and all, but just about every scouting report I have seen has him going before the Flames pick.

TSN Bob has Collberg at 16th, so it's not quite like saying Yak should be our pick...

There is potential Collberg will drop because of his defensive play and size. It's possible. I really didn't expect Bear to be available last year beyond the top 10.

At 14th do you think BPA is necessarily the best drafting option? Do you think that the 14th best player will be significantly (if even noticeably) different from the 15th, 16th, or 17th?.

This. At our pick we need to pick a forward over a defenseman, unless one takes a dive to our spot. Defensemen are really finicky to scout past the top few each year. Flames need to pick the best forward regardless of position unless there are a couple that look to be close, then you pick the center.

Out of all the players that would be available at 14th, my favorites are Pouliot or Maata. Maata has a similar situation as Sven. He made a nice transition to North America, and he could be a solid pick. Overall, my favorite player in the whole draft is Grigorenko, but we all know that he won't available. Moving up to get a player like Cecil or Dumba would be nice, but what would be the price for that? And with Feaster's attitude towards trading for picks, would it happen?

Out of all the players that would be available at 14th, my favorites are Pouliot or Maata. Maata has a similar situation as Sven. He made a nice transition to North America, and he could be a solid pick. Overall, my favorite player in the whole draft is Grigorenko, but we all know that he won't available. Moving up to get a player like Cecil or Dumba would be nice, but what would be the price for that? And with Feaster's attitude towards trading for picks, would it happen?

To break into the top 5 the price will be to high. Flames dont have the tradable assets to get into the top 5. The only pick in that group I could possibly see available is the Isles and that would have to be Gio and our first at a minimum to get, which just isnt worth it.

To break into the top 5 the price will be to high. Flames dont have the tradable assets to get into the top 5. The only pick in that group I could possibly see available is the Isles and that would have to be Gio and our first at a minimum to get, which just isnt worth it.

The Flames can swap picks with Toronto or TB in a Kipper trade to move up in the draft. I would not be surprised to see this happen.

They just need to ask Kipper to waive his NMC a couple weeks early and he will comply, he is a pro.

I mentioned in another thread that we need to move up in the draft. High enough to draft a top Center with enough upside to be a #1C. If he turns out to be a #2C then fine that fits too.

When we traded away Reggie we left a big #2-3D hole. That would be my next on the list of needs. If this draft is truly deep in D then now might be the best time to get what we need.

69dabbf35b0614b2d399621b13844e85.png?1334189163

Wingers we have lots of although we are low on Top Level RW's. Big drop in talent after Iggy and nothing top level up and coming.

Cammy can play either Wing very effectively. In fact his LW shot on the RW gives him his patented one-timer. Cammy is slotted as a first line player he was up on both Wings in Montreal.

If Iginla goes - Stempy will become a higher priority to resign as 2nd line RW, which he is very comfortably slotted into. At the time of the Cammy trade in the back of my mind I even thought how that was a very early indication that the Flames may be planning on moving Iggy.

Cammy's high price and ability to play either Wing suddenly make more sense.

Maybe for TB, but no way for Toronto.

Why?

Burke will overpay and will offer the best deal, plus that high of pick means the Flames realistically might get a shot at Dumba, Flip Forsberg etc…

Burke also knows the optics of the trade publicly in Calgary, he knows all the angles of it. He is overflowing with prospects at the moment, quality prospects who are NHL ready.

Mark my words, Burke can and will put the best offer on the table. He is that kind of GM. In the long run Calgary would win this trade.

Why?

Burke will overpay and will offer the best deal, plus that high of pick means the Flames realistically might get a shot at Dumba, Flip Forsberg etc…

Burke also knows the optics of the trade publicly in Calgary, he knows all the angles of it. He is overflowing with prospects at the moment, quality prospects who are NHL ready.

Mark my words, Burke can and will put the best offer on the table. He is that kind of GM. In the long run Calgary would win this trade.

Maybe, but Kipper won't waive before the draft to go there. I know you think that everyone is willing to waiver ther NTC/NMC to go wherever the team wants because they are professionals, but the fact is that you don't bargain for a NTC/NMC if you don't have any intention of using it.

Toronto is still a couple years away from contending, even with a quality goaltender like Kipper. If Kipper has to waive his NTC it will be to a contender or nothing.

Admittedly, this is just my opinion. But I don't see it happening.

The Flames can swap picks with Toronto or TB in a Kipper trade to move up in the draft. I would not be surprised to see this happen.

They just need to ask Kipper to waive his NMC a couple weeks early and he will comply, he is a pro.

Stevie Y has said that he wants a long term solution, which Kipper is not. Tampa will turn to the Nucks or Kings for a goalie. Toronto is a maybe. But I dont see Kipper being the difference between 14th and 5th. And I have a feeling if you trade Kipper you have to trade Iginla. He doesnt want to be part of a rebuild and I dont think you have a good enough core without both of them to pull off a rebuild on the fly like the Flyers have done. I guess you could go to Iginla and say that Kipper is going so we get in a top center prospect and the idea is to use Irving and Vokoun in a goalie tandem next year, and hope hes good with that.

Maybe, but Kipper won't waive before the draft to go there. I know you think that everyone is willing to waiver ther NTC/NMC to go wherever the team wants because they are professionals, but the fact is that you don't bargain for a NTC/NMC if you don't have any intention of using it.

Toronto is still a couple years away from contending, even with a quality goaltender like Kipper. If Kipper has to waive his NTC it will be to a contender or nothing.

Admittedly, this is just my opinion. But I don't see it happening.

Could be wrong but I believe Kippers NTC expires at the end of this year. So you could ask him to waive now, or you work out a deal with Burke so he drafts who we want and then we draft who he wants and then swap everyone July 1.

Could be wrong but I believe Kippers NTC expires at the end of this year. So you could ask him to waive now, or you work out a deal with Burke so he drafts who we want and then we draft who he wants and then swap everyone July 1.

You're absolutely correct. I just don't think it's happening the way Flame111 said. Further, the optics of doing this aren't very good.

Its happened before. Maybe not with a roster player but certainly with prospects and just drafted players getting traded.

That's not the same as sending a goalie who has given you a chance to win every night for the past decade to a team where he doesn't want to be (obviously a lot of assumptions are at work in this statement).

If this team starts mistreating players like Kipper and Iggy, just wait and see how easy it will be to sign FAs.

i cant see feaster trading kipper for picks. maybe if we get a good young roster player as well but were not rebuilding so if were gonna trade kipper part of the return will have to help us win now.

Archived