With The 14th Overall Pick - Who Do You Want? (2012 Version)

Louis23

I think the biggest deciding factor if he falls to our pick is the CBA and where it stands. If there is any chance of a lock out many teams might shy away from European players especially Russian.

Apparently he doesn't get on well with his KHL team. Chances are he plays in the CHL if there is a lockout. If he signs a 1 year deal in the KHL it isn't bad either.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flamesnation did a write up on him and pointed out why he is unlikely to return to Russia. For me, if a player comes to Canada to play junior I am less concerned about a flight risk.

Radulov came to Canada & played 2 years in the QMJHL.

Radulov came to Canada & played 2 years in the QMJHL.

Sure. And Giordano went to Russia when he couldn't swing a 1 way deal. Erixon forced a trade. Schwartz is going to free agency.

I am not saying there is zero flight risk. But I think him playing in the CHL combined with his poor relations with his KHL rights holder makes the risk tolerable.

You don't think PIT would embarrass themselves by asking for Skinner do you ? they should know the answer to that one. Once again I think you are over valuing Jordan Staal snd the type of player PIT actually need for that 3rd line C position.

And why do the Penguins have to trade Staal? Cause they dont. If the Canes come to Shero asking about Staal Shero has every right to stay I want Skinner in return.

Re:

Skinner, you can't score in the playoffs if you haven't been in them. That makes J. Staal's #s irrelevant as comparison.

63 points in 82 games as an 18 year old, 44 in 64 @ 19. (Better #s than Jordan on a weaker team.)

Plays all forward positions so can fill in effectively where needed.

Has a year left of his EL allowing parts to be added to better the team.

With all Jordan Staal's pluses he earns 4.5 & is looking for a raise. He'd be the 2D behind his big brother Eric.

The Canes would be crazy to trade Skinner for Jordan. Heck of a good deal for the Pens though.

Staal will get that raise as well. Why are the Penguins going to downgrade across the board to trade Staal? They do not have to and will only move him to make the team better.

I agree 100%, if Grigorenko is available at 14th and we do not pick him, it's beyond stupidity.

Pretty much. He is arguably the most talented forward in the draft. You cannot pass on him if he is there at 14.

Staal will get that raise as well. Why are the Penguins going to downgrade across the board to trade Staal? They do not have to and will only move him to make the team better.

If he turns down the same offer reported by TSN on July 1 it's a way of saying this is his last year in Pittsburgh without looking the bad guy by asking for a trade.

That means any team will consider they are renting him for a year rather then having better odds of signing him to an extension. Hence, offers go down.

Unless they think he's the difference maker to get a Cup this year they might as well wait until July 1, 2013 when the only compensation is his paycheck.

And why do the Penguins have to trade Staal? Cause they dont. If the Canes come to Shero asking about Staal Shero has every right to stay I want Skinner in return.

Pretty much. He is arguably the most talented forward in the draft. You cannot pass on him if he is there at 14.

This is the main reason why I believe that jay will not trade down in the draft. This draft is f-Ed no one can predict who will go first and who will go last. If the flames favorites are gone, then they should trade down to get a 2nd. With the second the flames could draft the likes of jordon Swartzs, and with the first draft that cezk who turned heads at the world juniors.

This is the main reason why I believe that jay will not trade down in the draft. This draft is f-Ed no one can predict who will go first and who will go last. If the flames favorites are gone, then they should trade down to get a 2nd. With the second the flames could draft the likes of jordon Swartzs, and with the first draft that cezk who turned heads at the world juniors.

"Czech".

This children is why you do not go onto the internet while drunk. Honestly, you butchered that name so badly I only have a faint clue who the hell you're talking about.

I totally agree! If he's available at 14th then he's a must pick!

I really don't understand why scouts keeps saying that he's going to Russia. When he had worn that Canadian shirt to the combine he made a bold statement on where he wants to play hockey. In my mind if NHL gms are too stupid to draft him, then we need to capitalize on their stupidity and draft him 14th!!

If he turns down the same offer reported by TSN on July 1 it's a way of saying this is his last year in Pittsburgh without looking the bad guy by asking for a trade.

That means any team will consider they are renting him for a year rather then having better odds of signing him to an extension. Hence, offers go down.

Unless they think he's the difference maker to get a Cup this year they might as well wait until July 1, 2013 when the only compensation is his paycheck.

We now know he did turn down PIT with a very generous offer. PIT must be real concerned about Crosby's future to make a 10M plus offer to Staal. Crosby's contract is up after this coming year and I doubt they have 10M plus each for Crosby, Malkin and Staal to stay around.Should get interesting from here.

Okay. My final prediction. Flames trade down and pick Jankowski.

I'm starting to think we trade down as well. Collberg (my original pick) has dropped off huge and might be able late first round. We trade down and pick Collberg (fits the Baertschi type mould that these guys are looking for - not big but gritty, big effort, high skill). That's my final choice.

I'd love to see us pick Tanner Richard or Tim Bozon in the second round if we were to get a second rounder as part of the downgrade. Those are my second round picks...

I'm starting to think we trade down as well. Collberg (my original pick) has dropped off huge and might be able late first round. We trade down and pick Collberg (fits the Baertschi type mould that these guys are looking for - not big but gritty, big effort, high skill). That's my final choice.

I'd love to see us pick Tanner Richard or Tim Bozon in the second round if we were to get a second rounder as part of the downgrade. Those are my second round picks...

Collberg is possible. So is Wilson as blogged by Steinberg.

I think the Flames go off the board with their first pick if they trade down.

Collberg is possible. So is Wilson as blogged by Steinberg.

I think the Flames go off the board with their first pick if they trade down.

If there is a deal with St. Louis as I speculated in the JBo thread, we could be drafting 25th, which is borderline for Collberg. I think if we nabbed Collberg at 25th, we'd be getting an absolute steal.

Wow!,, only five picks away and looks like Flames will have some unexpected great options... Love that so many forwards still available

Do we take Teravainen if available even though he sounds alot like Gaudreau...

Do we take Teravainen if available even though he sounds alot like Gaudreau...

Archived