Our Top Centre - The Solution

jjgallow

I thought Backlund had some first-line-centre potential in 2007/2008. He wasn't my first choice for the draft, but I thought it was a decent selection. I thought we brought him to the NHL WAY to soon and did an extremely poor job at developing him. He may still come around and I agree with you that the fans, and thus the organization, lack patience.

It is a concern, because I worry that we're about to do it all over again with Sven Baertschi. We're also doing it with another Centre right now...Horak. IMHO, Horak projects to be a second-line centre with a Remote possibility of first-line centre. But right now, we're developing him into a fourth-line plugger rather then letting him take the AHL by storm.

And, if I AM right about Markus Granlund and he Wows us at training camp, we could end up doing it to him too. The one thing that could save him from our short-sightedness is his mandatory one-year military service.

Where is it that you have seen Horak projected at top 6 ? Is this a personal evaluation, because I have only ever seen him projected as a 3rd liner. I don't really see a top 6 forward in him. Don't get me wrong I definitely like the kid, but I see him as a two way guy on the 3rd line.

Where is it that you have seen Horak projected at top 6 ? Is this a personal evaluation, because I have only ever seen him projected as a 3rd liner. I don't really see a top 6 forward in him. Don't get me wrong I definitely like the kid, but I see him as a two way guy on the 3rd line.

Just my own, but I don`t think I`m entirely alone on this one. He`s on the fourth line right now, and he is 20 years old. Assuming he peaks in his mid 20`s, I think it`s fair to assume that he can move up by more than one line assignment in the next 5 years. But you may be right, because I`m not a big proponent of developing guys on the fourth line. The fourth line is a role, not a development tool. Abbottsford is a development tool.

Put it this way: If Horak had not been so incredible in training camp, he surely would have been developing as the best player in Abbottsford, on their first line. We would have all been giving him first and second-line projections. Instead, he showed us too early on how good he is, and we rewarded him by giving him a fourth-line training role.

This point I agree on. It would be nice, but I feel like your trying to create top line centre prospect as opposed to letting one come to the Flames, via draft ot trade. I agree that when it comes to prosepcts the majority of fans want to see them now as opposd to waiting and I definetly think you have to wait on Granlund. i could see if being another 3 seasons before Granlund is looking at the NHL. he is a project.

One of the best prospects in the world right now. I'd put him in my top 10, so i think the likelihood of him being dealt are as close to zero as you possibly can. I dont even think Florida would deal him if Iginla or Kipper were invovled in the deal.

Exactly...and yes, I may be guilty of trying to create something that isn`t there...I honestly believe he`s a legitimate 1st line prospect but it doesn`t matter at the end of the day..we can`t rely on one hope. We need at least one more top centre prospect and then I`d feel like at least One of them will turn out.

But regarding acquiring them through trade, as per your second reply, the immediate fan reaction is to acquire a prospect that`s hardly even a prospect anymore. Out chances of getting Huberdeau are Nill to None. He is the same age as Markus, but physically he is nearly fully developed and his price is way too high. That doesn`t mean others won`t catch up to him over the next few years. It`s almost a certainty that some will.

Which is why...we need to stop crying for blatant, obvious solutions (as in...ones that will never happen). We need to go further back. To the draft, and to development. But, that`s never popular.

Archived