Danny Taylor

where the...

what?

How did.... why, but,

Can we keep him?

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=76913

he was signed a bit before Karlsson got hurt, I think the plan was to send Ortio to Utah because he has been very poor but then Karlsson got hurt and now Taylor is the starter in Abbotsford and Ortio is still with the Heat

he was signed a bit before Karlsson got hurt, I think the plan was to send Ortio to Utah because he has been very poor but then Karlsson got hurt and now Taylor is the starter in Abbotsford and Ortio is still with the Heat

Thanks Raad...I assume just an AHL contract? He's been outstanding, I hope he keeps it up.

• 1 month later...

bump...

He hasn't slowed down one bit..he's getting better if anything.

He's 25 years old, he has the third-best save percentage in the AHL, and he's younger than both of the guys ahead of him. He's also about the same age that Kipper was when Kipper made it big in the NHL.

The Flames should make his contract a two-way, imho.

I know they don't really have room in the goaltending position, and they only have one spare contract left, and I'm already suggesting they use that for Kolanos.

All I'm saying, is when the dust settles after the trade deadline, the Flames should make sure they have a spare contract for this guy to sign. And, when they go into the trade deadline, they should consider Danny Taylor as strong a goaltending prospect as any of the other ones in their system (in other words, they should not hesitate to trade one of their other prospects if the right deal presents itself).

Man, has he shown some huge improvement.

Yeah he is a feel good story, who got another chance and is making a go of it. I have not looked for awhile but he was pulling up Irving type numbers last time I looked.

The numbers are a lot better than Irving's, the GAA is a wash but Irving's save percentage has always been around the .910 mark while Taylor's is at .935 right now.

I'm not one for jumping on bandwagons, but I'd like to see what this kid can do. Give him an AHL raise for next year, if he does good again sign him to a 1 year deal and work from there. You never know what could happen and if we let this guy slip away we'd be doing the opposite of the Flames code, that is "Give the guy a shot". We've given chances to Fleury, St. Louis, Kiprusoff, Giordano, Ference, and it would be nice to have another success story.

• 9 months later...

Another shutout...

Here we are... Danny Taylor's the top goaltender in the AHL by save percentage and GAA. And, by a decent margin.

http://theahl.com/stats/statdisplay.php?type=top_goalies&season_id=40&tournament_id=0&division_id=-1

Now, you could say that players like TJ Brodie are partially responsible for this. But, Taylor's been legitimately outplaying guys like Irving, who, to be honest, have also been meeting expectations. Also...a lot of other AHL teams have a TJ Brodie type player this year. And Taylor is still on top of the goaltending list.

To me, he is currently the favourite to back up Kipper. Even if you could pick from every goatender in the AHL, he'd still be the favourite to back up Kipper.

This could make for a great story, but also a huge advantage for the Flames. Taylor's already a castaway, but he's also just 26 years old. In goaltending years, that's potentially a full decade of great net-minding if he continues to keep this performance up.

Another shutout...

Here we are... Danny Taylor's the top goaltender in the AHL by save percentage and GAA. And, by a decent margin.

http://theahl.com/stats/statdisplay.php?type=top_goalies&season_id=40&tournament_id=0&division_id=-1

Now, you could say that players like TJ Brodie are partially responsible for this. But, Taylor's been legitimately outplaying guys like Irving, who, to be honest, have also been meeting expectations. Also...a lot of other AHL teams have a TJ Brodie type player this year. And Taylor is still on top of the goaltending list.

To me, he is currently the favourite to back up Kipper. Even if you could pick from every goatender in the AHL, he'd still be the favourite to back up Kipper.

This could make for a great story, but also a huge advantage for the Flames. Taylor's already a castaway, but he's also just 26 years old. In goaltending years, that's potentially a full decade of great net-minding if he continues to keep this performance up.

He has been playing very well and I believe this is a result of the goaltending tandem Troy Ward is running here like Hitchcock did last year in STL.

Elliot and Halak put up really good numbers and each played about half the season if I remember correctly.

Taylor has 8 games under his belt, Brust with 4 and Irving has 4 too.

Personally I'm a fan of this system rather than running our goalies into the ground with fatigue. (kipper to an extent)

Another shutout...

Barry Brust is getting the start tonight. Should be interesting to see if he gets the record. The Rampage have lost 6 in a row.

With the game, Brust will have 300 minutes, and will be atop those standings, pending he chokes.

But it should be pretty cool to have 2 goalies atop of the AHL!

Barry Brust is getting the start tonight. Should be interesting to see if he gets the record. The Rampage have lost 6 in a row.

With the game, Brust will have 300 minutes, and will be atop those standings, pending he chokes.

But it should be pretty cool to have 2 goalies atop of the AHL!

Yeah, yeah it would. I see Danny Taylor as more realistic in terms of making the jump to the NHL. But, I Also agree with not overplaying your goalies. It makes a lot more sense to spread the load out. And who knows...if Brust keeps getting shutouts, we have a very envious problem on our hands...

Archived