Justin Maylan - Should Calgary Consider Him

He is a young prospect undrafted last year with a lot of potential. He needs to build size and strength but other then that I think it could be a great prospect.

2011-12 Regular Season 34games 15g 22a 37points

Prince Albert Raiders

Name:Justin Maylan

Position:Centre

Shoots/Catches:Right

Height 6'1"

Weight170

Birthdate:1991-01-20

Hometown:Calgary, AB

Any opinions.

He is a young prospect undrafted last year with a lot of potential. He needs to build size and strength but other then that I think it could be a great prospect.

Prince Albert Raiders

Height 6'1"

Weight170

Any opinions.

i think it might be past the time we can sign undrafted 91s. i do not know the extent of the rules but i think there was a reason we had to sign turner elson when we did or he would be ineligible to sign

Prince Albert Raiders

Height 6'1"

Weight170

Any opinions.

If this kid can Shoot AND catch, we should definitely sign him

i think it might be past the time we can sign undrafted 91s. i do not know the extent of the rules but i think there was a reason we had to sign turner elson when we did or he would be ineligible to sign

I believe they cannot be signed until the season is over if you are a undrafted FA. You can negotiate with the players you own the rights to, but I believe junior hockey players are treated as if they are under "contract" to the WHL and therefore not able to be signed until the season is over. With Turner they would have wanted to sign him before he went back to Junior because if you light it up and draw attention there is less of a chance your going to be able to get that player.

In terms of this guy, no thanks. Classic case of a 20 year old putting up numbers against younger players. Very pedestrian numbers early in his junior career.

I believe they cannot be signed until the season is over if you are a undrafted FA. You can negotiate with the players you own the rights to, but I believe junior hockey players are treated as if they are under "contract" to the WHL and therefore not able to be signed until the season is over. With Turner they would have wanted to sign him before he went back to Junior because if you light it up and draw attention there is less of a chance your going to be able to get that player.

In terms of this guy, no thanks. Classic case of a 20 year old putting up numbers against younger players. Very pedestrian numbers early in his junior career.

Classic Brian Cameron Case, May have potential but just an over-age Chl Player

Classic Brian Cameron Case, May have potential but just an over-age Chl Player

I agree, but I also agree with giving him a chance. After all, we didn't really lose much out of testing Bryan Cameron out. You can't win the lotto if you don't buy tickets :)

Also:

Justin Maylan is 6 '1, as opposed to the 5'10 Bryan Cameron, and he is faster. More potential to make the jump.

He's also a native Calgarian, and I think that counts for something.

I don't see this kid ever becoming a star, but players with less skills have become valuable NHLers.

Not my first choice either, but I don't see taking a chance on him as an automatic failure. I don't think Bryan Cameron was a failure either. You don't know until you try. Some will surprise, and you only need one overlooked player to make a massive difference for the Flames' future.

Three Years?

Ugh. I didn't realize.

ELC's are 3 years long except those that have played a professional season (I believe, age may also factor in). But a 20 year old coming out of the CHL has to get 3 years (like Giordano, Breen & Cameron), where if they have a professional season it is a 2 year ELC (like Carter Bancks). While I admit I am not 100% on the details I can assure you from previous contracts that this kid would be required to have a 3 year deal.

Archived